It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian-US helicopter deal advances military cooperation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Russian-US helicopter deal advances military cooperation

rt.com

Moscow and Washington have signed their first contract to use multi-purpose Russian-made helicopters in Afghanistan. The contract is hailed by the Kremlin as the first major contract in the history of the countries’ military cooperation.

The cost of the deal, which will supply 21 Mi-17V5 military transport helicopters to the Afghan army, reportedly stands at about US$ 300 million.

According to Kommersant newspaper, the first nine machines will be delivered to Kabul before the end of the year and the rest will be supplied in 2012.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is rather interesting, it comes as Russia and America have agreed that Gaddafi must be removed from power. While I wouldn't speak to soon, I still wonder if American-Russian relations which have been turbulent for a prolonged period are improving? Personally I doubt it. I believe that the deal is purely financial and has few foreign policy implications between Washington and the Kremlin.

"[This is] the first large contract in the history of the US-Russian military-technical cooperation, signed directly with the US Department of Defense," said Russian Presidential Aid Sergey Prikhodko.

"Its signing is a major step forward in the two countries' practical cooperation in raising the combat capabilities of the Afghan Armed Forces," he added.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 28-5-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
since when is mutual embezzlement of each country's citizens tax dollars, for contracts to political friends and allies considered improved relationships.

this is a business deal.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Would these be improved versions of the helicopters the US covertly helped the Afghanis shoot down in the previous defeat of the Russian military in Afghanistan decades ago?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Would these be improved versions of the helicopters the US covertly helped the Afghanis shoot down in the previous defeat of the Russian military in Afghanistan decades ago?

Probably not, unless you really think the last 30+ years has not seen any improvement to military helicopter technology in either the US or Russia.

What I wonder, is if this has anything to do with the "top secret" helicopter that was blown up in Pakistan when the US was allegedly killing (the already-dead) Osama bin Laden.
edit on 28-5-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join