It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Testing of Weapons, Nuclear Accidents and Rise In Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I am tired of seeing my family and friends being wiped out by the insideous disease that is cancer. My Mother died in 2002 from it, as did her Mother. Other members of the family have also died from it as well. I recently learnt last week that someone else in the family has it and i was also terribly upset to hear Edward Hardwicke had died of cancer last week as well. He and i corresponded for a time back in 2009. i have also lost friends to the disease. In other words i have grown up with the shadow of cancer hanging over like a malevelont presence.

What i really fear though and often wonder is the following. USA and Russia during the 1950s and early 1960s conducted above ground testing of nuclear weapons, these were big nukes as well. Now i know radiation lasts thousands of years and the fallout spreads far and wide. Is this still affecting our planet today. Could these tests be responsible for alot of cancer deaths over the decades and still be causing them even now?

What about industrial accidents like Chernobyal? When i was at University i had to do a study of the environmental impact of the accident and i came across an article which i think was either in the Geographical magazine or in Nature that said that the fallout from Chernobyl would kill hundreds of thousands over the decade following the accident and i would say that would still be applicable today because of the longevity of radiation.

It just seems to me that the level of cancer deaths around the world is on the rise. How many people have you known and loved died from this dreadful disease, one? Two? or even more?

The sooner a cure for cancer is found the better. I for one am sick and tired of seeing those i love and care about die from this dreadful disease. The scars and pain it leaves behind are too horrendous. I would not wish it on anyone else.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

not only the number of people having cancer is rising, as forms of cancer, and things that seem to cause cancer.

i think alot of it is due to the nuclear fallout from tests, but thats is not all, alot of the nuclear waste by-products are used for something else, usually a mass comsumption item.

i think the cancer rise though, is mostly due to our lifestyles in the western world, our chemically fuelled, artificially enhanced, electronically polluted lifestyles...

one would expect the people in the third world to be more affected, but nope, people in the third world are dying from everything but cancer.

leads me to believe, it's what we eat, what we drink, what we breathe, and what we are radiated with.

it's the planet's curse to those of us living in excess one could say.

i've adapted to the old philosophy of not putting in my body anything i wouldn't put in my mouth.

im pretty sure i won't die of cancer
edit on 28/5/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
You should look at a movie called Trinity And Beyond: The Atomic Bomb.Movie (1995)... It will make your head spin... Here is a clip:

Blast starts @ 5:05 And this is a "smaller" blast!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
im pretty sure this video has been posted to death here on ATS

but its still very relevant to this thread

www.ctbto.org...

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I've always believed that nuclear testing and accidents have had a dramatic effect on cancer rates around the world.

We eat garbage and are exposed to massive amounts of chemicals in our daily lives. All of these must have the majority of blame in cancer rates. We have been absorbing these chemicals and radiation for 60+ years with very little understanding of the long term effects, all in the name of progress.

In the decades to come I believe the 20th century will be seen as a barbaric time in regards to the damage we've done to our bodies.

I would be very interested in seeing a report of cancer rates over the last 100 years..

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The same thing is happening in Australia. Cancer patients are actually being moved to other hospitals to die so cancer clusters aren't on public record. The dust from nuclear test sites continues to poison whoever is unlucky enough to live downwind and downwind can be hundreds of miles away.
edit on 29-5-2011 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I am tired of seeing my family and friends being wiped out by the insideous disease that is cancer. My Mother died in 2002 from it, as did her Mother. Other members of the family have also died from it as well. I recently learnt last week that someone else in the family has it and i was also terribly upset to hear Edward Hardwicke had died of cancer last week as well. He and i corresponded for a time back in 2009. i have also lost friends to the disease. In other words i have grown up with the shadow of cancer hanging over like a malevelont presence.

What i really fear though and often wonder is the following. USA and Russia during the 1950s and early 1960s conducted above ground testing of nuclear weapons, these were big nukes as well. Now i know radiation lasts thousands of years and the fallout spreads far and wide. Is this still affecting our planet today. Could these tests be responsible for alot of cancer deaths over the decades and still be causing them even now?

What about industrial accidents like Chernobyal? When i was at University i had to do a study of the environmental impact of the accident and i came across an article which i think was either in the Geographical magazine or in Nature that said that the fallout from Chernobyl would kill hundreds of thousands over the decade following the accident and i would say that would still be applicable today because of the longevity of radiation.

It just seems to me that the level of cancer deaths around the world is on the rise. How many people have you known and loved died from this dreadful disease, one? Two? or even more?

The sooner a cure for cancer is found the better. I for one am sick and tired of seeing those i love and care about die from this dreadful disease. The scars and pain it leaves behind are too horrendous. I would not wish it on anyone else.

Cancer is more common in states near the Three Mile Island accident.

There are maps like these

which show more cancer incidence in the Northeast for some forms of cancer
And Three Mile Island was considered a "harmless" accident, but these maps show it clearly had an effect on public health

you can see all kinds of maps like this here

cancercontrolplanet.cancer.gov...

There is clearly a pattern for most cancers, although there is some variation because cancer risk is not just a matter of radiation but also lifestyle, diet, smoking, and other factors...but that's not to say this isn't clear evidence of a connection to Three Mile Island increasing cancer rates in a certain region around the area of Three Mile Island

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
2,053 tests since 1945.... stop the insanity!

top topics

join