It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't We Just Leave Religion Out Of Politics?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

I totally understand where you are coming from. To us yes they are throwing it away on crap, but everything that happens they do for a reason. The whole democratic - republican thing is BS anyways. Behind the scenes they are all mostly working together to the same goals. The only reason they have it is to divide the country so it doesn't ever unite as one.

On another note, I would love to see Ron Paul become President. Yet as I have stated before those in power will not have it, because he would not be another puppet for them.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
Church and state ARE supposed to be separated. there are too many laws and references based on religion to have a well balanced society. I don't need to hear the President talking about God just like I don't need to hear about God from anyone else. The government IS a business, not a church. when you get a bunch of people making decisions based on their religious beliefs it always seems to end up not going so well.

I agree MJ , especially when God can be so many things. To have Obama say God bless you, can refer to other gods as well.

The fact that many religions are based on moral principles,and the government has to deal with issues of morality in what they do,I can't see that the two will ever be seperated. Its impossible, in my opinion.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

i do not understand how people would want the other people running their country, to believe in imaginary things and old superstitions, if anything we need way more people in office that are in touch with reality.

people should be able to believe what they want,
but not in or bring it to office.
edit on 18-5-2011 by violence=answer because: i was busy with your mom and made a typo

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

If this next election turns out to be a religous racist blow out between everyone .. and everyone is attacking one another I dont feel like I owe them any vote ..

I say for every political ad this coming election they put so much towards something that really needs funding .. all these donations they get can easily support a good cause .. Maybe then I can say hey this person really shows the public they too can contribute to a needy situation.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by violence=answer
to believe in imaginary things and old superstitions, if anything we need way more people in office that are in touch with reality.

people should be able to believe what they want,
but not in or bring it to office.

The whole idea of unalienable rights - as outlined in the Declaration of Independence and expanded on in the following Bill of Rights - is based upon ''imaginary things and old superstitions''.

The foundation of the USA was down to the founding fathers' beliefs in a God who was the arbiter of moral absolutism and justice.

Think about it, though: if you have any attachment to the US Constitution, and the ''rights'' that it supposedly entails, then you have an attachment to 50-odd random people who drafted a document on the basis of their own belief in ''imaginary things and old superstitions''.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The Presidents just need to do what is right for the people than try to make everyone live the way he wants and feels is right b/c his religion.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
So where does the government get most of the basis of what its laws are founded on?

I can understand that the two should stay seperate , but what happens when a religion like satanism (just an example) decides the government and laws should stay out of what they think is totally fine.

I really don't think you can ever really seperate the two , because most of moral issues that the government has made laws for, have come in some way from religious books and beliefs.

I think for the most part they do try and keep it seperate, and much of the "God" talk coming from politicians is often just propoganda for election time.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

You are correct but also you're not looking beyond that. If our laws are based on religious doctrine or teachings, then where did those religions get those notions? Simple - MAN.

Common sense trumps all.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Another important thing that effects is our ability to disclose UFO/Alien information which is governed by our politicians .. all these religious devotees that are the real reason we wont ever probably get disclosure due to the fact many of them are skeptics and disbelieve in anything paranormal.

It's official, GOD was a space alien, and NOT our real creator,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and as long as that is why would you think that the government would release any information do to the fact that it would change many things .. perhaps proving that GOD is just a Super Natural Enity or a higher intelligence wouldn’t that trip some triggers ??????

I just think that religion should be kept out of things such as government programs and medical research and lets be fair about it .. I want a President that will consider how important it matters to move forward and quit bickering about this and that ..all in the name of religion BAH…..

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

You are correct but also you're not looking beyond that. If our laws are based on religious doctrine or teachings, then where did those religions get those notions? Simple - MAN.

Common sense trumps all.

I agree with you ....I suppose even with out religion,humans can have a basic understanding of what is right and wrong, and this is what laws should be based on.

Thankyou for pointing out, what should have been obvious to me.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorthStargal52
Divide and Conquer .. Our world is a mixture of many religions ,,why do politicians mix religion and politics?

This is a result of our democratic system. Religion is a big part of the lives of many of a politician's constituents. If he wants to be elected and if he wants to please his people, then he needs to at least pretend to like the same things that they do.

You could be the best candidate, but lose an election because you supported satanism. There aren't enough satanists to help you swing an election.

You don't win a popularity contest by liking things that are unpopular.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

You make a very good point .. and thats why its been the complaint of many ..

I dont agree tho because even tho Christianity gives us morals an a basis of law .. So does Universal Law or Karma ..

Universal Laws
www.abundance-and-happiness.com...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying ...and I agree.

As long as governments versions of what is universally right has basic moral values that everyone/or the majority agrees on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join