It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possible geoglyph of the Thunderbird

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I found this on Google Earth while looking for Indian mounds in central Florida. It should be noted that the "breast" of the bird is a large ancient Indian mound. I would rather not give the coordinates to protect the location from artifact thieves

files.abovetopsecret.com...[/atsimg]
edit on 11-5-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
I found this on Google Earth while looking for Indian mounds in central Florida. It should be noted that the "breast" of the bird is a large ancient Indian mound. I would rather not give the coordinates to protect the location from artifact thieves

Fixed link...
edit on 11-5-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

I'm having trouble seeing the bird though.
edit on 11-5-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
sculpture

check out this thunderbird esque ominous sculpture that I grew up with. its like the center-piece of my city.
edit on 11-5-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

those big friggin knives actually swing with the wind lol! creepy to stand under...
edit on 11-5-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Not to be rude but...

Why didn't you just edit your original thread that you posted like 15 min ago?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What are we meant to be looking at?
And you don't really need to give us the coordinates when you said it was in Florida and had street names included in your image. 28.301509,-82.643366 Here they are.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Disclosure95 because: Added Coordinates

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

can you outline it for us?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Awesome find... however the idea of hiding it does you no good with names of streets in the picture and knowing that it is in FL somewhere.. EITHER way, very cool find

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure95

Found it, too. Full street name and address on the pic.

"But I don't want anyone to know where it's at..."

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/877e4a8332d5.jpg[/atsimg]
Yeah I see it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't see it, sorry. Placement of trees and modern city development shouldn't be used in defining the shape of a geoglyph, which is what this appears to be defined by. You would need to see the ground directly to see if there has been something scribed into it, or in the case of a petroform or earth mound, at least be able to see the terrain.

This just looks like the "negative image" left by urban development.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure95

I believe its a representation of the Thunderbird. Its tilted 45 degrees to the right in this image. I have shown it to friends but alas, not to many people see it. Maybe its just an optical illusion.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This is not a thunderbird. It is obviously a clover - hard evidence that the Irish civilization once ruled the entire galaxy from iron, space-faring castles in the sky! Ha! I dare the skeptics to question my theories now!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I don't know....the outline looks more like a pigeon than the legendary Thunderbird,
I have had an interest in the Thunderbird for many years and happen to live in Central Florida , so will try to visit this location when I get a chance. I promise not to steal any artifacts.
edit on 5/13/2011 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011

No, it's not a geoglyph. The natives here in Florida did not have any concept of "Thunderbird" in their history and legends... and the "shape" you're seeing is caused by vegetation and local modern modifications and not by ground shaping.

Geoglyphs do exist -- but that's not one of them.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

You are entitled to your opinion. The breast of the bird is a large mound. I just find it stranfe that the vegetation displys usch symetry. There is a similar formation in the bahamas that resembles a shark.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hey! my first post! I have been lurking for about 8-10 years, but just now making my first post!

Maybe what you have found is an Eagle? You can see the symbol at the link. The previous poster is correct in that the florida tribes did not have reference to the thunderbird. The thunderbird was introduced to the tribes by white men mainly west of the Mississippi (due to time frame of introduction) and those are the main tribes to use it. And only after about 1800 or so.... The eagle, however, has been used for a very long time by many many tribes. I have seen both in my explorations of rock art, but never a thunderbird back east.

The prevelant definition in the southwest (granted among many others that potentially could hold merit) of the thunderbird is "flown to safer territory" which would not apply near as well as the below.

Eagle, the master of the sky, is considered a carrier of prayers. Many Indian Nations honor this bird as possessing courage, wisdom, and a special connection to the creator. This is often confused with the "thunderbird" image concept. Eagle is also a Directional Protector(the Sky) spirit, and an image associated with spirits and visions

www.kivatrading.com...

I would not be worried about looters. Any artifacts that may be there are long burried under all of the decomposed vegetation and many many years. The ones that were on the surface have been long since found. If anyone is found digging, they will be fined heavily and possibly jail. It is highly illegal to dig in known indian burial areas, which is what most mounds are. Also very illegal to collect any artifacts from these areas, surface or not. Anyone that would know how and where to search would also know these rules (hopefully).

That is a known indian mound along with many others in Central Florida. Some of them were excavated back around the turn of the century before the laws were put in place and by professionals of the time. Others remain untouched, but I would have to bet that one is well known by local tribes and by the historical and parks departments in your area. I would not be caught dead with a shovel or even a trowel anywhere near it.

Another Link concerning the history of your area plus information about other mounds down there.

for your enjoyment....

Link< br />
edit on 5/19/2011 by Hayseed460 because: needed to fix link

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Well, I've given it some thought. I think my initial skepticism was misplaced, and I apologize. After doing a little research of the area around this geoglyph, I have actually found a couple of startling things myself!

Figure 1. An obvious ancient geoglyph of a donkey!

Figure 2. Even more amazing... It's the profile view of a great ape! And apes never even lived in Florida (as far as we know...)!

I definitely think OP is on to something here.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

You know I think you are right, but the second one actually looks more like a troll.... What do you know, your ancient ancestors were there too!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The people of the area (Calusa Indians) made shell mounds, but no geoglyphs. If you look at their remaining structures (Shell Key) on Google Earth, you'll see what their mounds look like.

Info on the Calusa Indians:
www.funandsun.com...

Their main area, Shell Key, is now a nature preserve
www.shellkey.org...

googling for them brings up a lot of interesting links.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

And you trust the prevailing history of American's ancient past why? Were you there. Were the over paid writers of the textbooks on this subject there? I think not. We have no first hand account or recorded history on "ancient" American past so I say anythings possible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join