It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Seeks to Create Caesar

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Julius Caesar had the support of the people.

So did Mussolini, Hitler, and Stalin at one point.

This Act subverts Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution, therefor it should not pass. There really is not argument for it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

With everything happening the last decade I think this scene fits in.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Sigh. More people who clearly didnt read the proposed legislation, or notice it is co-signed by several notable tea party republicans like scott brown.

The OP is misconstruing this legislation. It clearly states "by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. " several times over, and in no way grants dictatorial powers to the POTUS.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Sigh. More people who clearly didnt read the proposed legislation, or notice it is co-signed by several notable tea party republicans like scott brown.

The OP is misconstruing this legislation. It clearly states "by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. " several times over, and in no way grants dictatorial powers to the POTUS.

You mean when it says this?

...is amended by striking ‘, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate’.

Edit: In case this is confusing, what it means is that the Act is removing that clause. Did you read it?

edit on 5/9/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I call it the president appointing members to his cabinet. It already happens whether people realize it or not. Politicians are already of a certain breed and are of a like mind to one another -- democrat or republican -- it usually doesn't really matter because the politicians are already closely linked.

The people who do matter get assassinated.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Not to defend this bill, but all I see are a bunch of assistants and lower-ranking staff that would be affected, not so much senior positions. However, the positions affected seem to be mostly civilian, and they also seems to have a lot to do with finance and statistics. That part is what raised a red flag for me. Controlling money and information without checks and balances worries me. The president could fill those with people in lock step with his agenda. Not that it isn't the case now.

Maybe it is just to delegate some duties because the Senate is overburdened? Who is to say that the department higher-ups wouldn't just pick someone and the president would sign off on them.

Not sure what to think.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
That part is what raised a red flag for me. Controlling money and information without checks and balances worries me. The president could fill those with people in lock step with his agenda. Not that it isn't the case now.

What specific part of the proposed legislation do you think would subvert checks and balances?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Konah

Indeed, it appears you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. (and yes i did read it, although obviously not very well)

Regardless, the headline is silly. And the bill is co-signed by several notable republicans like "Tea Party" Scott Brown and Mitch McConnel.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by Konah

Indeed, it appears you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. (and yes i did read it, although obviously not very well)

Regardless, the headline is silly. And the bill is co-signed by several notable republicans like "Tea Party" Scott Brown and Mitch McConnel.

No worries.

I agree the headline is a bit dramatic. Just because Tea Party members signed this Act doesn't mean anything, the majority of Congressmen - regardless of their party - seem to have misplaced their Constitution.

If anything this is more frightening: Opposite parties come together to strip the Senate of it's duties and cede the power to the executive branch, yet our government almost shuts down over NPR and Planned Parenthood. I actually wrote a (rather lengthy) article on my new blog today about expanding executive power.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If he gets this. game won.
he then has just the people he needs
in power to vot for him.
then they vote him caser god
watever he likes.
last chance before you lose it ALL...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
How is this Conservative fear-mongering? If Bush did this, the Left would be screaming bloody murder (and rightfully so). Everyone should drop the Left/Right paradigm and realize this is bad for the People and good for those wishing to gain power.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't know where you folks are getting your information, but Brown never had Tea Party support. At least none that I was able to find. His voting record reads more like a RINO than anything else.

And abuse of power is abuse of power. No matter the "level" or arguement.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

Honestly... I am a full blown American patriot, back to the very same things that founded this country. I am also a very proud supporter of a dead, long gone people. SPQR. It was what made Rome great. And when the caesars took an actual real dictator/emperor role look where Rome went. SKY HIGH. Rome was the way, the only way. And the Emperors of old honestly didnt too bad of a job. I don't believe in having some [SNIP] like Obama keeping office, but i think this could be GOOD for America. We need a change, and if this change would make Obama and following President's for (mostly) life, then so be it. You know why? Think about if this went through. It can and will only be good for the American people, unless we, as a whole, decide that it is a completely bad idea, this will only increase the patriotism over time, and with our dying breaths be defending a once-great, now better nation with Obama beside us. (BTW I only approve of this is he is doing some fighting himself)
edit on 9-5-2011 by scghst1 because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

List of Offices Subject to Change

Agriculture
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE FOR CONGRESSIONAL RELATIONS
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE FOR ADMINISTRATION
RURAL UTILITIES SERVICE ADMINISTRATOR
COMMODITY CREDIT CORPORATION

Commerce
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS
CHIEF SCIENTIST; NATIONAL OCEANIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION

Department of Defense
ASSISTANT SECRETARIES OF DEFENSE FOR LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS, PUBLIC AFFAIRS, AND NETWORKS AND INFORMATION INTEGRATION
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY FOR FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE NAVY FOR FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE FOR FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
MEMBERS OF NATIONAL SECURITY EDUCATION BOARD

Department of Education
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR LEGISLATION AND CONGRESSIONAL AFFAIRS
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR MANAGEMENT
COMMISSIONER, REHABILITATION SERVICES ADMINISTRATION
COMMISSIONER, EDUCATION STATISTICS

Department of Energy
Assistant Secretary for Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs of the Department

Department of Health and Human Services
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR PUBLIC AFFAIRS
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR LEGISLATION
COMMISSIONER, ADMINISTRATION FOR CHILDREN, YOUTH AND FAMILIES
COMMISSIONER, ADMINISTRATION FOR NATIVE AMERICANS

Department of Homeland Security
DIRECTOR OF THE OFFICE FOR DOMESTIC PREPAREDNESS
ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR OF THE FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY (FEMA)
ADMINISTRATOR OF THE UNITED STATES FIRE ADMINISTRATION
DIRECTOR OF THE OFFICE OF COUNTERNARCOTICS ENFORCEMENT
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER

Housing and Urban Development
Chief Human Capital Officer
Assistant Secretary for Congressional and Intergovernmental Relations
Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs

Department of Justice
ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL, LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS
DIRECTOR, BUREAU OF JUSTICE STATISTICS
DIRECTOR, BUREAU OF JUSTICE ASSISTANCE
DIRECTOR, NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF JUSTICE
ADMINISTRATOR, OFFICE OF JUVENILE JUSTICE AND DELINQUENCY PREVENTION
DIRECTOR, OFFICE FOR VICTIMS OF CRIME

Department of Labor
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF CONGRESSIONAL AFFAIRS
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS
DIRECTOR OF THE WOMEN’S BUREAU

Department of State
Assistant Secretary for Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs
Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs
Assistant Secretary for Administration

Department of Transportation
ALL ASSISTANT SECRETARIES
DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR, FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION
Administrator, St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation

Department of Treasury
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR PUBLIC AFFAIRS AND DIRECTOR OF POLICY PLANNING
ASSISTANT SECRETARY FOR MANAGEMENT
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
TREASURER OF THE UNITED STATES

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
at least caesar was born in rome. what makes it worse is that there are doubts that this muslim kenyan is even qualified to be president.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The only change we need in this country is to return to our roots - The Constitution and The Bill of Rights. No new law is going to ever improve our nation. Only the repealing of countless laws that should never have passed will help.

Folks, look at the bigger picture. For nearly 100 years, the Feds have taken little small baby steps, one law at a time, to slowly tighten the chains around us. Sure, this l;aw on its own might not seem like much, but that's the trick. Once passed, it becomes that much easier to make yet another law compromising our freedoms.

And to the guy who thinks the Ceasars did such a nice job. Dude - Wow! Really? Yeah, you're a real patriot all right.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
its not like they really follow that thing (constitution) anyway. Sure, maybe it appears they do on the outside, but it is all controlled and dictated already. won't be any different.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
bah, there is nothing of importance here... I doubt a vast majority of people know what all these positions do let alone who sits in them... further more I can guarantee that the Senate rubberstamps them anyway... much ado about nothing

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

S. 679: "Presidential Appointment Efficiency and Streamlining Act of 2011" is by far the scariest thing I've ever read...these are among the highest ranking positions within the department of defense, dept of homeland security, dept of treasury, dept of agriculture, dept of commerce, dept of education...the list goes on and on and on...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

That would be like saying that Obama is playing the Bush game. Why would the republicans complain about that since they've been working towards just the same thing for decades?

Huh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join