It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin: Measure your success by non fired missiles!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

The Russian Prime Minister says he's alarmed by NATO's approach towards bombing Libya. At a news conference following Russian-Swedish talks, Putin said the coalition is quick to act no matter the cost. Putin says: "It's well-known that I used to serve in the KGB.

At that time, the Soviet Union was waging a war in Afghanistan. Many of my friends served in Afghanistan. One of them was the head of the advisors group on the security bodies in Herat. One day, he went on leave, and I asked him, 'Listen Sasha, how's the situation there?' And at that time, our country had a very patriotic spirit. We believed that we were doing a very good thing having this war in Afghanistan.

His reply came back unexpectedly: 'You know, without my signature no single missile or bomb attack can be fired.' 'So what?' said I. 'I assess my success and my achievements by the number of orders that I don't sign.' For me, it sounded just shocking.

Can you imagine hearing that from a KGB officer at that time? I asked, why? He said, 'Do you know how many peaceful civilians perish because of these missile attacks, no matter what reasons are behind them?' Sometimes I contemplate how easily decisions on using force are made today in international affairs, and it leaves me gobsmacked.

And that happens against the background of all the fuss around human rights and humanism which the modern civilized world seemingly practices. Don't you see a significant contradiction here between theory, the words and deeds, the practice of international affairs? And we should do our utmost to eliminate this imbalance.

Putin: Measure your success by non fired missiles!

as much as a lot of you dislike putin..his the only leader in the world speaking sense,about whats going on.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

I actually like Putin

Now he is the one who should have got that peace prize Barry should be striped of it.

As I recall it was supposed to be a no fly zone sure oil oil lovely oil

S+F most deserved he's the only one to speak out well done Putin.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The only world leader I know of who's driven a Formula 1 Grand Prix car...

edit on 28-4-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I like Putin as well unless he is doing this.
Carry on comrade.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
lol @ all of you, criticise the US or the west and you’ll jump on anyone’s bandwagon. Let’s just forget about human rights abuses, Chechnya, Georgia, Kosovo, the liquidation of dissidents, massive corruption etc.

He’s not telling it as it is, he’s playing politics.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

the man a living legend...lol

the irony is obama/obomba got his peace prize,even tho his dropped more cruise missle's then any other peace prize winner in history combined,and is at war with 3 country's as i type....

edit on 28-4-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

oh so what america did to iraq don't count ?

and talking of corrutions...surely america is the most corrupt democracy in the world.

half of americans live in a 3 world status while the other half of america live in luxury.

america..the place were the rich get richer,and poor get poorer.

can i say double standards ??

edit on 28-4-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I have not forgotten anything that you mentioned.I have seen the rooms full of crib ridden adult handicapped left to lay in their own filth.I have seen russian police brutality against foreign people and military brutality against Georgia and Afghanistan to name a few.I could go on about it but thats another thread.Putin isn't the greatest but I have legitimate reasons to respect him.How he handled Georgia for an example.At least they left when they said they would.
edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

I didn’t say anything about America’s conduct I said that the people in this thread will hail anyone who criticises them, which they have, despite Putin/Russia’s own record; which seems a little hypocritical.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
lol @ all of you, criticise the US or the west and you’ll jump on anyone’s bandwagon. Let’s just forget about human rights abuses, Chechnya, Georgia, Kosovo, the liquidation of dissidents, massive corruption etc.

He’s not telling it as it is, he’s playing politics.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better Mike_A. Criticizing the US gets people off in these parts, and trust me I am fully aware of the propaganda that's spread around in our msm, and I by no means agree with or believe very much of what our government says and does since 911, but I haven't forgotten just who Putin is and what he's also done and you wont catch me jumping on his bandwagon just to bash the US and NATO.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Let’s just forget about human rights abuses, Chechnya, Georgia, Kosovo, the liquidation of dissidents, massive corruption etc.

Lol.

Are you talking about Russia or the US? Seriously. Crack a history book or two and re-read what you just wrote.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthsurfer

I'm not bashing Americans just there leaders and the idiots in charge here in the UK.

We were lied to it was supposed to be a no fly zone then they flip flopped the words to mean anything they want it to be.
And Putin is talking out against this that's why I like him.
I never said he was a saint no politician is the thing is Barry got a peace prize for what he said do you think he should keep it

Thanks

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tyson

I’m surprised you can read a history book when reading the thread has proven so difficult.

I didn’t say anything about America’s conduct I said that the people in this thread will hail anyone who criticises them, which they have, despite Putin/Russia’s own record; which seems a little hypocritical.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hmm, times are a changin'

The US is fast becoming perceived as the global villain in the eyes of the world and now we have the Russians being portrayed as the voice of reason and protector of human rights.

We should all be concerned more about this current and very real global power shift rather than any potential pole shift that is a long shot at best to happen in our lifetimes.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
FnS for the OP great story this saw it yesterday was hoping someone else would post it thx

Funny how the Russians are the good guys now eh? And Putin has got the world abuzz with what he's saying. Inspite of his past or his ties to the dark side I gotta say he makes a lot of sense. Its the kind of stuff a lot of us thought we'd hear Obama saying. But instead he went full Bush + on us. So be grateful Putin stepped in to give justice a voice.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Georgia
you got that backwards there bub
everyone except the faithfull know twernt russia doing attacked that time
edit on 28-4-2011 by Danbones because: not worth spelling for

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
as much as a lot of you dislike putin..his the only leader in the world speaking sense,about whats going on.

Yeah... Right. What about Amadijihad, you all seem to LOVE him around ATS..
They are VERY deceptive people.

OBama is not talking sense???... He was critisized for weeks because he DID NOT act on Libya right away.
It's under Canadian Command right now, with U.S hardware.

Lots of people around the world are talking sense. It's all on who you chose to listen to.
The world wants Ghadaffi out.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Didn't say they were, my point was simply that they are happy (as all nations are) to let their own missiles fly when they deem it to be in their own interest and this whole peaceful Putin act is nothing more than that.

I make no judgement of the rights and wrongs, or the pragmatic realities that any party faces, my issue is only with this forum's general eagerness to kiss the arse of anyone who opposes the US or west in general. The fact of the matter is that Putin is at the top of one of the most corrupt nations on Earth with a horrendous human rights record, yet because he's had a pop at America "we"* like him

*read ATS

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
reply to post by stealthsurfer

I'm not bashing Americans just there leaders and the idiots in charge here in the UK.

We were lied to it was supposed to be a no fly zone then they flip flopped the words to mean anything they want it to be.
And Putin is talking out against this that's why I like him.
I never said he was a saint no politician is the thing is Barry got a peace prize for what he said do you think he should keep it

Thanks

And your right mars, but once the no fly zone was initiated the rebels started screaming that they needed more help because the no fly zone was not stopping Ghadafi's troops from still reclaiming cities that the rebels had reclaimed during bombings. So its a back and forth mess. The rebels take claim to a city, and Ghadafi's forces take it right back the next day. If there is not a push to remove this loser from power this will never end. The rebels alone are no match for his troops. So what do you suggest?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seagle
Hmm, times are a changin'

The US is fast becoming perceived as the global villain in the eyes of the world and now we have the Russians being portrayed as the voice of reason and protector of human rights.

And this is exactly why the US wanted to play a back up role and let NATO take the lead, but I don't hear Putin or anyone else bashing the French or anyone else, it's just the US that's the evil villains no matter what stance we take.
It's not our fault we hand control over to someone else and they can't handle the situation. Once again US bashing is what this is all about.

top topics

join