It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Crabs Invade Antarctica....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Shell-crushing crabs haven't been in Antarctica, Earth's southernmost continent, for hundreds or thousands, if not millions, of years, Could they know of an event that may be taking place in our near future??

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Yea it makes sense that animals will feel the effects of temperature increase before it really affects humans. The global temerature has spiked severly since the 1920's as an overall trend which is not normal with regards to previous historical temperature patterns.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
They are already pointing fingers at "Human induced climate change".
The ego of some people makes me sick.
Thanks for the read

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Lets ask the people that deal with king crab all the time.

Ask the Deadliest Catch folks what their theories are.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This does seem like a frighteningly peculiar event. I'll be checking back on this thread often to see what others think about this.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
They probably moved to get away from the radiation and oil spill/chemicals in the oceans up here

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
There has got to be a reason behind it all, It could be radiation, it mentions that they are coming from deep 6,000 to 9,000 feet down, maybe its getting to hot for them down there??

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Makes you wonder. I know animals are more sensitive to earth changes. I wonder if there is any other sea life migrating like dolphins, whales, etc. that would make me very suspicious.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatitanimulli
Thanks for the read

It's a fact that humans have changed the climate and that can't be argued at all.

The only being argued about is the actual effect that change has had on the environment. Some say hardly any and some say alot.

If one volcanic explosion, Mt. Pinatubo, can drop global temperature by 2 degrees for 2 years there is no doubt humans are having an impact in some way.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the info OP.
Things are definitely afoot.
As for bio-diversity, what can we humans do.
We always make things worse.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Hmm I wonder just what exactly has changed that caused them to move down there?

But something has changed, and these crustaceans are poised to move by the droves up the slope and onto the shelf that surrounds Antarctica

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Black blobs floating in ALaska. Black blobs floating off Florida. These blobs are not the big oil spill just the after effects.

www.terradaily.com...

Scientists say an underwater blob of goo off the Florida Panhandle coast isn't oil, but rather a mass of dead plankton, algae and bacteria.
The underwater mass of dead sea life, at least three feet thick and spanning 2/3 of a mile off to the coast, appears to be growing as microscopic algae and bacteria get trapped in it and die, the Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune reported Wednesday.

Would you run if you seen the black blob of death?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Thanks for the read

It's a fact that humans have changed the climate and that can't be argued at all.

The only being argued about is the actual effect that change has had on the environment. Some say hardly any and some say alot.

If one volcanic explosion, Mt. Pinatubo, can drop global temperature by 2 degrees for 2 years there is no doubt humans are having an impact in some way.

Out of respect, I am not getting into that pissing contest with you man.
I just believe it is a mighty convenient way to further control and limit our freedom.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the read

Out of respect, I am not getting into that pissing contest with you man.
I just believe it is a mighty convenient way to further control and limit our freedom.

I win the pissing contest but you could absolutely be right about the control issue. Global warming won't have a serious impact on humans for quite awhile but many out there will use it to instill fear into people to further their own agenda's.

Gotta give you that one.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Yea it makes sense that animals will feel the effects of temperature increase before it really affects humans. The global temerature has spiked severly since the 1920's as an overall trend which is not normal with regards to previous historical temperature patterns.

Uhh, if cold water sinks and hot water rises to the top, why would a crab that lives 6,000 to 9,000 feet below the surface of the ocean be climbing up to warmer waters? Wouldn't they be seeking deeper water?

More than likely has something to do with the millions of gallons of Corexit dumped into the Gulf to disperse the BP oil spill which is now 'dispersed' at the bottom of the sea floor.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I love king crabs,.
they are delicious

Too bad it is so far away,.

and to be serious..
Yeah, I am sure they know something is up,.
But I am sure the truth will be hidden for a long time

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation

Uhh, if cold water sinks and hot water rises to the top, why would a crab that lives 6,000 to 9,000 feet below the surface of the ocean be climbing up to warmer waters? Wouldn't they be seeking deeper water?

More than likely has something to do with the millions of gallons of Corexit dumped into the Gulf to disperse the BP oil spill which is now 'dispersed' at the bottom of the sea floor.

You have to look at the current in the oceans. It's a giant conveyor belt. The greenland ice sheet is dumping cold water right into the current that loops around briton. It is possible that's having an effect on the temperature in the current or changing it's direction slightly.

However, and this is important, we have no idea what effects the melting of ice has on currents and anyone that says they know are completely full of it.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with global warming whatsoever since we are still in an ice age and the global warming we are seeing has not yet risen out of normal levels yet. It is drastically scaling up but I wouldn't expect to see any results from that for 30 years at the earliest.

Probably some biological reason for the move or something like that..like someone else said maybe it's pollutants.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Would you mind linking your source saying that we are still not up to "normal" temperatures? I havent read that.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
climate change causing this BULL.

King crab Larvae are planktonic. They are minute forms and their sustained horizontal swimming is inconsequential compared to horizontal advection by oceanographic conditions. Larvae vertically migrate within the water column to feed. Diel vertical migration may be a retention mechanism to transport larvae inshore.
www.lobster-crab-direct.com...

these larvae have been trapped in the bilge or stabilization tanks of a research ship, icebreaker, other ship making a trip from the Arctic to antarctic waters
www.telegraph.co.uk...
stateofthecoast.noaa.gov...

Another invader is the North Atlantic spider crab—males and females have been found in the waters near the Antarctic Peninsula. They likely stowed away in the ballast tanks of a ship, according to scientists.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.treehugger.com...

the global warmer are getting desperate to make us believe in everything is caused by global warming.

Here is a least one cruise ships that go on both arctic and antarctica trips.
www.travelwild.com...

Now prove to me i am wrong and how global warming is the cause for King Crab being in the antarctic waters.

new topics

top topics

join