It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need your intelligent advice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hello all,

I have been putting back money for a bit now and am ready to buy a few more guns. I am really looking for a nice tactical shotgun and an assault rifle. I have been looking strongly into the AK 47's and am leaning toward those atm. What kind of AK do you recommend? I have looked into the Romanian ones strongly...
What tactical shotguns would you recommend?

Thanks

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I can't comment on the AK since I'm and AR man. But as far as a "tactical" shotgun, don't waste your money. Tactical guns look cool but if you want a no nonsense gun just get an Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 and maybe add a sling and shell holder. You should be able to pick up either gun for $300 max.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

How do you like your AR? I have a friend who is selling AR 15's for 600. I thought about getting one but I read so much positive about the AK. So you don't think I should go with a tac shotgun? I have a moss 500 but it is a 20 gauge. I am going for the 12 gauge now.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
dont even bother with ar's man
i mean itll come down to what u prefer and are familiar with but if u want a rugged gun that can give u the bang for the buck id get an ak...
now romanian are ur bottom of the barrel ak's
if u can hand pick em urself and inspect them u can find a few decent ones
id recommend a yugo ak or bulgarian
if anything man u can get a brand new ak74 for 399 on centerfire.com
very very decent rifles i own 2 superb accuracy with the 5.45x39 round and super cheap

www.youtube.com...

dont buy plastic guns lol period...putting lasers and flashlights are not gonna make ur gun shoot better or more reliable...ull just be the guy gettin laughed at at the range

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Buy an SKS, not an AK. The SKS was the forefather of the AK, same creator.

Cheap, more accurate, easily customized, quiet, just as deadly....

Get a nice YUGO SKS, remove the cosmo and you've got a hell of a weapon for dirt cheap.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Mall Ninja's? On ATS?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well a few bits of advice...first on the AK choice your right on with the Romainian ones. They're the only country that still mills the parts instead of stamping them which gives them more durability. I would also advise getting one with the fore grip it really helps with accuracy...also the brackets to mount 2 clips together is a worth while investment for an AK since a lot of its best use is CQC not really very accurate past about 500m so even with 2 30rnd. (ours run 2 40rnd clips for a total 80rnds. one clip JHP one clip FMJ) clips you can still lay down some good suppression fire or quickly switch between FMJ and JHP. As far as shotguns go Benneli makes some nice tactical shotguns as well as Remmington just make sure you get one with some sort of stock not a cut off pistol grip those are impossible to fire well they kick to all hell and you have to shoot from the hip so aiming is touch n go. An under folding stock is great for tactical shotguns. Those are just a few of my tips hope it helped.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by handzar

I am pretty sure Romainia is the only ones still milling their parts I could be wrong and maybe it's Bulgaria but I'm pretty sure it is Romainia...My cousin has the Yugo para version it's an under folding stock very lightweight but seems to have more problems than most that I've seen.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have a Yugoslavian AK and I love it, but I also have a Yugoslavian SKS I got for half the price that shoots just as well. Regarding shotguns, Remington, full stock, extended tube, sling and a shell holder. That is all you need. IMO anyway.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

For the "Black rifle" end of things i prefer the ar platform, and i can swap out uppers to fit different calibers, even ak ammunition, but you prefer ak platform and that is a different thread to argue about.
AK is a fine very workable platform also, just not my first.
As for the shotgun i would say stay away from anything semiauto, pump is the bees knees.
Anything Mossberg i say, i do not prefer Remington for several reasons but there are several aftermarket parts you could add on to make a Remington as good as a Mossy, so i just save myself the trouble and go mossy first anyway.
Any in the Mossberg 500 series are an excellent choice as they are terribly affordable and just good all around guns.
I shoot trap, skeet with a 20 inch pump.

Now there will be people along to preach of the wonders of semiauto shotguns and their merits, Please just google Mossberg jam, then google whatever name of said gun and jam.
You will find from many discussion forums of the problems associated with semiautos and you will see the lack of problems with pumps.
Sure they may not be as fast as a semiauto, but i know few people that can accurately fire a shotgun rapidfire with defense loads yet alone target low base 8's.
Semiautos sure are sexeh though, but you want reliable i assume.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by handzar

I appreciate it man. Im not into all the lasers or anything either.I just want a nice assault rifle that will not jam, and will fire in almost any condition. ALSO, NO CHINESE GUNS.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Like i said you can make Remington good as a Mossy with some addons, you forgot the barrel too.
An aftermarket barrel is needed if you ever plan on the thing getting dirty, Rems stick as they get dirty, as their chambers are not high polished, nor are mossy's but they are days ahead on milling.
Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

I really appreciate the advice. I have a friend who just got his license so he is selling all kinds of assault rifles, convinced me to buy one. I will have to look into the SKS I don't know much about those.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thanks for your input. I will definitely look more into the Mossberg now. I have never owned a semi auto shotgun just all pumps. Do remingtons jam more than mossys?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I am fixing to read up on the Yugo SKS right now.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I have never had a Rem jam up on me, but i never owned one.
My brothers after a hundred or so rounds would get sticky when cycling.
My mossberg i can fire all day long no complaints.
I will say i am biased though and i know several folks who love their Rems.
To each his own, but i will badtalk and bash any semiauto shotgun, like i said just google jam and any semiauto shotgun then google jam and pump.
I don't care how well said semi is made or how much it costs, none hold a candle to a pump.
pumps also go for a fraction of the price of a semiauto.
And as another poster above said, avoid all of the bolt on lights and gagets on your weps, just learn how to shoot so when your batteries die you are just as effective.
Plus who wants to carry around a 20 Lb. rifle.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I have looked into the Romanian ones strongly...

I own a Romanian Assault Rifle
It is not just a gun, but my friend...

I have used several types of weapons and I prefer anything that's "Romanian"

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Where you located? I need a friend who sells. I'm looking into getting a "shtf arsenal" if you will. I see where things are headed so I want a rifle, and a couple pistols, preferably a pistol my wife can shoot. lol

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Im around Burlington NC. One of my friends who's a police officer just got his license to sell them. He is trying to establish his business so he's selling everything dirt cheap.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

If it were me...
I'd skip the AK SKS and AR's and see how cheap I could get me a Springfield M1A Scout Squad
Prices run under 1k

<<   2 >>

join