It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony says hackers have stolen information for users including passwords, birthdays and Credit card d

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It was a false flag op by the Israelis,Mossad got Hamas to do it ,

Funny how everyone is mad at Sony and not the hacker

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I kind of find it funny some people are trying to paint Sony as the evil one in this situation.

Sony is providing a service...a service people voluntarily use and pay money for. Hacking Sony, stealing their customers credit cards, and stealing their money doesn't reflect poorly on Sony...it reflects poorly on the hackers. Let's remember, Sony has broken no laws here...the hackers have.

This is akin to Robin Hood going and stealing from the poor and pointing to the king and saying "It's his fault, he didn't protect you...I'm really doing this for your own good to show you how evil the King is...even though I just robbed you."

I also find it funny that anyone thinks Sony is going to hurt in any way from this.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
thats why xbox cost money, the server is SECURE. this is what you get for free, all your info stolen.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This would seem like the ideal time for Sony to print up a few million psn pay cards...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Okay, just checked other news sources and they advise that any credit card used to purchase anything from the PSN, should be cancelled.

I am sure most people intend to do this anyway, but just confirming this is what you should be doing.

There has been a lot of hostility against Sony on this thread and I think it is only fair that they share the blame, but they are not the criminals here. The hacker is the criminal, let's hope they caught rapidly.

And for the gloating Xbox fans, their system was hacked just prior to Christmas and 2 Million user details were taken. So even if you pay for the privilege of playing on line, it doesn't make it safer.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Makes you wonder if they were hacked before last time i updated to the new software my system burned up along with millions of others makes you think whats really going on that was expensive

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

There has been a lot of hostility against Sony on this thread and I think it is only fair that they share the blame, but they are not the criminals here. The hacker is the criminal, let's hope they caught rapidly.

Pretty sad but you are right, these greedy kids now expect everything for free. Let me tell you all something that will probably get me post banned.

i'm a dirty no good pirate. I have been since before the "internet" was available residential. I spent my early days learning about computers by dialing into other computers and BBSs to download the latest "warez". I still to this day download all of my TV shows, I do not have cable nor will I ever.

That said, I have an extensive collection of legally purchased cds, dvds, and now blurays. Pirates from my generation are about sharing but not stealing. Sharing is caring. you like it, you should pay for it, support whoever made the product. Some current pirate groups still post this tidbit in their nfo, not that anybody reads or cares.

because they feel since they paid for the console the rest should be free. Get over it, the ps3 is what 300$? My damn video card in my pc cost more than that. bluray player? HAH there's another 200$.

I supported the dickhead when he cracked the security and enabled the otherOS feature back for people who wanted it. i still support that, and I still support the motion to make sony pay up something to all the people who purchased old phat ps3s.

And that's the key. Most of these douchebags calling sony evil and geohot a hero, have slim ps3s, and only support this dickhead because they want to illegally download games for free. And you know what? That's fine, you wanna do that and help kill the industry that's just fine.

but when you pricks start hacking and cheating in online games, hacking profiles, and in this latest case, getting developer access so you can illegally download all the psn games, you've gone to far.

now you are actually hurting the other users. If you honestly think stealing that game instead of buying it is some how giving sony a kick in the butt, that's fine, but why do you feel entitled, no, why do you DEMAND the right to screw the rest of us over?

If it wasn't for people like me buying these games, there wouldn't be any for you to complain about.

I'm a PC gamer at heart but I made a decision with my last computer. That's it, no more upgrading to play the next whatever, I'm done, 3 grand on a damn pc is enough. And even then, some games don't fully support this video card, I need this software patch, i need this whatever for the dohicky. PC gaming is a crap shoot because there are infinite combination of hardware and software and they simply can't code for all of them.

A console is a console, my ps3 slim is the same as your excluding hard disk size. If game A comes out for PC, i might be able to run it, maybe. If Game A comes out for Ps3, it will work, no questions asked.

This whole sony versus microsoft is also a load of crap. Beyond the fact that the games play essentially the same on both consoles, you are looking at 2 different marketing strategies.

Microsoft wants you to buy the console, buy the games, and then on top pay a monthly fee for the live service to actually let you play online/

sony wants you to buy the console, buy the games, and play them. sony has stated time and time again they do not intend to make PSN a pay service. They experimented with Playstation Plus, and I actually am pleased with the service so far, totally worth the 50 bucks as I've already been given more than that in free games and discounts. Early beta access is a plus.

You have a 360? Awesome, enjoy it, i'm happy for you, just stop with the fanboyism. you have a ps3? Great, add me as a friend, but don't start bashing on the 360 cause I really don't care.

This whole mess played out as such.

Hacker cracks security
Hacker creates custom firmware
Newest firmware allowed developer access
Hacker exploited this to gain entry into the database
Hacker stole potentially all account info and transaction histories.
Hacker is probably right now, or has already, placed this info on a black market ebay site for sale.

And some of you idiots think sony is the one in the wrong? The hackers YOU are supporting did this specifically to steal from YOU. Not sony, YOU. Remember that next time you praise geadouche, remember if you are a psn customer, this guy is directly responsible for you having to get your CC canceled.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Good post! I have to admit that I agree with a lot of what you said.

One more point. Now that people are reporting unknown transactions on their cards, I think any moral angle to this has gone, its just theft now.

Glad my card was zeroed cos I wound up broke! Every cloud has a silver lining!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Karma for geohot seems to have returned very quickly

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm not mad at sony......geohot and supporters and probably anon are the culprits.

I can agree that once you buy your system, it's yours...do what you want. But once you log in to the Playstation Network, it's no longer you're system you are hacking.

Get over yourselves, freeloaders. MEMEMEMEME Everything isn't free D-bag. Any support you may have had from me is GONE. I hope they catch your ace buying a dang bigscreen at walmart and then raid your home and find your cracked system. I hope you are never allowed any tech more sophisticated than an alarm clock. I pray you never see the net again.

ohh and to sony.....hurry up every chance you get!!! i'm stuck watching black ops vids on youtube....lol

Also, to the poster above....concerning robin hood.....thats not a fair comparison....robin hood only took what was taken, --taxed unfairly-- and gave it back to the rightful owner. If these d-bags were the rightful owner, they wouldn't be trying to hack their own system.
I am rbnhd76 but i haven't stolen anything except for the cigs when i was too young to know better.

IF IT AINT MINE, I DONT WANT IT!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Phishy, I agree with what you are saying totally on this one. Initially when they hacked the PS3 I did think 'well done', about time some people got something back, if they wanted it.

However, this is now an attack on the PS3 gaming community as an whole. C'est la vie, cancel the cards and let's get the system back up and running. If it happens again, and I am sure it will, let's hope we are notified sooner.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Pretty sad but you are right, these greedy kids now expect everything for free. Let me tell you all something that will probably get me post banned.

i'm a dirty no good pirate. I have been since before the "internet" was available residential. I spent my early days learning about computers by dialing into other computers and BBSs to download the latest "warez". I still to this day download all of my TV shows, I do not have cable nor will I ever.

That said, I have an extensive collection of legally purchased cds, dvds, and now blurays. Pirates from my generation are about sharing but not stealing. Sharing is caring. you like it, you should pay for it, support whoever made the product. Some current pirate groups still post this tidbit in their nfo, not that anybody reads or cares.

because they feel since they paid for the console the rest should be free. Get over it, the ps3 is what 300$? My damn video card in my pc cost more than that. bluray player? HAH there's another 200$.

I supported the dickhead when he cracked the security and enabled the otherOS feature back for people who wanted it. i still support that, and I still support the motion to make sony pay up something to all the people who purchased old phat ps3s.

And that's the key. Most of these douchebags calling sony evil and geohot a hero, have slim ps3s, and only support this dickhead because they want to illegally download games for free. And you know what? That's fine, you wanna do that and help kill the industry that's just fine.

but when you pricks start hacking and cheating in online games, hacking profiles, and in this latest case, getting developer access so you can illegally download all the psn games, you've gone to far.

now you are actually hurting the other users. If you honestly think stealing that game instead of buying it is some how giving sony a kick in the butt, that's fine, but why do you feel entitled, no, why do you DEMAND the right to screw the rest of us over?

If it wasn't for people like me buying these games, there wouldn't be any for you to complain about.

I'm a PC gamer at heart but I made a decision with my last computer. That's it, no more upgrading to play the next whatever, I'm done, 3 grand on a damn pc is enough. And even then, some games don't fully support this video card, I need this software patch, i need this whatever for the dohicky. PC gaming is a crap shoot because there are infinite combination of hardware and software and they simply can't code for all of them.

A console is a console, my ps3 slim is the same as your excluding hard disk size. If game A comes out for PC, i might be able to run it, maybe. If Game A comes out for Ps3, it will work, no questions asked.

This whole sony versus microsoft is also a load of crap. Beyond the fact that the games play essentially the same on both consoles, you are looking at 2 different marketing strategies.

Microsoft wants you to buy the console, buy the games, and then on top pay a monthly fee for the live service to actually let you play online/

sony wants you to buy the console, buy the games, and play them. sony has stated time and time again they do not intend to make PSN a pay service. They experimented with Playstation Plus, and I actually am pleased with the service so far, totally worth the 50 bucks as I've already been given more than that in free games and discounts. Early beta access is a plus.

You have a 360? Awesome, enjoy it, i'm happy for you, just stop with the fanboyism. you have a ps3? Great, add me as a friend, but don't start bashing on the 360 cause I really don't care.

Hacker cracks security
Hacker is probably right now, or has already, placed this info on a black market ebay site for sale.

And some of you idiots think sony is the one in the wrong? The hackers YOU are supporting did this specifically to steal from YOU. Not sony, YOU. Remember that next time you praise geadouche, remember if you are a psn customer, this guy is directly responsible for you having to get your CC canceled.

Great post.
Well said, Sir.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Unbelievable news for all Playstation users (including myself). To be fair though it was only going to be a matter of time before something like this would happen.

I am just glad that I never purchased anything on line with them and also used false e-mail addresses and D.O.B's.

Just keep an eye on your accounts (bank and PSN).

www.gameranx.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

too bad.

Get a Wii and a Gaming PC.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Hacker cracks security

Great post.
Well said, Sir.

No one is supporting hackers here. What are you talking about.

Oh and Morrowwind,Gunz,Unreal 2007,Starcraft 2,Crysis, and Warcraft trump anything on PS3.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TraptInTheSystem

I had an Xbox until Microsoft tried charging a prepaid card I had on the account without my consent and banned my account from Xbox Live when there was no money on it. Microsoft is even worse.

Microsoft did the same thing to me. I had two credit cards on my account, and of course, they billed the one that I only use as a backup, which had no money in it. Therefore they banned my account and tried to charge me with fee's. One nice little phone call fixed that, and they threw in a free month. Go figure.

After that I decided to save up for a really nice rig, just so I could be ready for Battlefield 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it late December yet? Will have to keep waiting

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I dont know if it has been posted before, i have a modified ps3 and read the scene info, your credit card information is sent in raw txt format over there network, it's not encrypted.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by brainbeat
I dont know if it has been posted before, i have a modified ps3 and read the scene info, your credit card information is sent in raw txt format over there network, it's not encrypted.

You are correct, but I think the bank encrypts the 3 digit security number on the back. I am not 100% certain, but I think this is the case. Best to cancel any cards to be on the safe side hey?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
well because i was a beta tester and have a load of games on my account didnt want it banned so i deleted my card details and deactivated from my ps3. Did that months ago, can u change password online on a pc or do i have to use a ps3? was planning to get a normal one for a few exclusives, have a 360 for online and pc dont play as much as i use to now, wanna buy a ps3 account lol

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I got my ps3 from a pawn shop, lol, so idk who info is on there.

Question, my father let me use his netflix account for my kids, do I need to tell him to put a hold on his card? He uses that card for WoW... He will not be happyz!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
As it appears, this was now done with malicious intent.

So my stance now becomes what did Sony do to protect its users and as far as I am concerned Sony should still take a hit regardless. As I mentioned before, there are guidelines for handling credit card information as defined by PCI compliance. An extensive investigation does need to happen to make sure Sony was exercising due diligence with respect to these guidelines. The guidelines can be reviewed here. PCI Compliance

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join