It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alitalia crew foils hijacking attempt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

A would-be hijacker was subdued by a crew on board an Alitalia flight from Paris to Rome on Sunday night, reported news agencies. He apparently tried to divert the plane to Libya.

Good for the crew, its been awhile since a hijacking attempt has been tried. Glad to see the crew was prepared to deal with the threat. The man tried to attack with a nail clipper, so those will be banned too i am sure.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 24-4-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
All passengers were reported to be unharmed, female flight was slightly injured before the rest of the crew were able to over power the crazy man from kashakstan.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
im sorry but how much damage could he POSSIBLY due with a nail clipper

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

...Why did he do that?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

nail clippers are already banned, have been for ages or were you taking the michael? It shows that one man with nail clippers is not really a threat though, good on the crew, hope they gave him a good beat down.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by canofnothing

The article does not say yet, its still a pretty new story. All it really says is he wanted the plane to go to Tripoli, and Italian authorities took the man in for questioning. I am sure more will come out through out the night.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

I never take nail clippers with me when i travel so i was not aware they were on the banned list. Thank you for pointing that out.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
There's part of me that is concerned and worried about this hijacking...and a whole other part that is laughing my butt off that he thought he could do some harm with nail clippers? I mean, I guess you could do harm with just about anything, but I would think if you went after one person many others could subdue you and take your "weapon" pretty easily. This guy either has a chuck norris complex or he's somewhat unstable and unrealistic.

Michelle

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

yeah its one of those situations at the airport when you get told to remove them and so say 'are you serious?'. Apparently they are very serious

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

Depends on the nail clipper! TSA stole (I mean confiscated) a nail clipping set I had once, because it had a little pair of scissors they deemed it to be a hostile object and offered to mail it back for $20.

Now TSA is for sure banning all nail clippers of any dimension, and for good measure checking toe nails of passengers, as those with neatly trimmed toe nails may be hiding a pair of clippers on their person.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Whats more shocking about this story is the fact that Italian crew were willing to fight and put themselves in harms way! Mind you it was only nail clippers so perhaps the thought of a bad manicure upset their latin sensibilities!

"Nail clippers!!! For gods sake. Whats next? Someone trying to hijack an aircraft armed with only harsh words, a threat of a wedgy or a nasty letter from their mother!"

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

Not in the US:

...nail clippers are already banned, have been for ages....

www.tsa.gov...

www.seatguru.com...

As you can see, according to the list....scissors are even allowed!

Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches Yes Yes

Of course.....the quality of the individuals, AT the security checkpoints, and their knowledge of these lists, will vary.....

edit on 24 April 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by weedwhacker

Disinformation, since when is a box cutter a knife?

well it is listed under the definition of knife... so I guess well yeah. Try again

knife
   
an instrument for cutting, consisting essentially of a thin, sharp-edged, metal blade fitted with a handle.
a knifelike weapon; dagger or short sword.
any blade for cutting, as in a tool or machine.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
LDragonFire

"Disinformation, since when is a box cutter a knife?"

Since like forever.

I think that you may need to find out what a box cutter and a knife is. They are more or less the same thing.

Some box cutters have 4 and 5 inch blades even.
And by the way another name for a box cutter is utility knife

Google pictures of box cutters

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

ok i was referring to international travel, don't know about domestic travel in the US

top topics

join