It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Dies From Police Taser

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
CNN Story Here

I did a quick search, so if this has already been posted, forgive me.

A man outside a movie theatre, acting "irrational" and pawing at his beard is approached by two officers. The man is alleged to have been acting strangely, and grabs at an officer when they move to apprehend him. This is all it takes for an officer to be allowed to electrocute you. with electricity. ouch. oh, and there's a chance you might die.

It never seems like the explanations offered by officials matches the severity of the incident. Why do two fully grown, fully trained police officers need an electroshock device to subdue one crazy dude on the sidewalk?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

Something needs to be done about cops using tasers because they are just too lazy to chase people or too untrained to effectively deal with people they are trying to apprehend. Keep in mind many of these cases the people are guilty of nothing more than running from a Police officer.
Too bad this poor guy has to be "the canary in the coal mine" before we realize these things KILL INNOCENT people.
I know it will take a few more (important?) deaths before Police departments back off on resorting to the taser. Id like to know how something as potentially life threatening and as much of a civil rights violation as the taser got by a public referendum? How was it put in standard practice and use without a vote or any feedback from the people???
edit on 22-4-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There isnt much as terrifying or as life threatening as being approached by an "officer."

And people question why folks run. I cant promise I wouldnt run even if I knew damn well I wasnt doing anything wrong. They and what they do scare the living # out of me.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
sometimes it would be better off if the cops used the guns...i think they overaly ause these tasers and once deployed its like they cant let go of that trigger...and it seems like theyll taser anyone including people that may get a little lippy or the drunk ones who dont know whats going on in the first place....its a joke that they think they can use with no discretion at all...one of these days i hope somebody grabs one of the cops taser guns before is used on them and turns it back onto the cops...that would be great!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

yea, how many people have to die? isnt pepper spray good enough?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Non lethal my ass

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Starred and flagged for bringing this to our attention.
I dont think the public complain enough about the use and introduction of this lethal weapon in our society.

We really should complain about this weapon to our local governments because it has gotten really out of hand and in my opinion is totally unnecessary .
What right has anyone to give people an electric shock like the one the taser gives ?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I think two officers could have easily subdued this man without having to turn to the taser. This poor man could have simply been suffering from low blood sugar and it was causing him to act irrational. I don't know.

He clearly had some type of medical condition, heart issues more than likely, or the taser would not have had this effect. There are so many other non-lethal options. I just don't understand the whole taser thing. Sad.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

thanks for the post...

we are going thru the TASER debate here in AUSTRALIA...

well, when i say debate, i mean "they" are softening up the public with comments like...
"it is better to taser than shoot with a gun"...yeah right...

we will be having enquires in 10 years time..."deaths by taser"...

we have already had tasers in use for some time + we have had at least one death (in Queensland, last year)...

i say "NO TASERS'

TASERs = torture!

seeya

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I have never liked the thought of police officers armed with tazers - it is inevitable something like this was going to happen. Just a matter of who, where and when.

In my opinion, it must take some sort of a sadistic moron in the first place, to even want to intentionally aim and fire one of these things at another human being, with full knowledge of what it does. That to me, is an act characteristic of a sadistic and dangerous criminal.

And we have whole police forces full of these people.

It seems the more police officers there are, the less safe we are.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
1. The taser didn't kill him, it sounds like excited delirium did. Yes excited delirium, read up on it.

2. You listen to a cop, you are ok. You resist, or try to hurt one, well you live with the consequences (or not, like in this case).

Here are some simple guidelines to keep you safe:

- Approached by an officer? Be polite and listen to what he says.
- Don't resist, don't fight, don't run, don't put your hands in your pocket.
- Feel like you've been falsely arrested or rudely dealt with? Get a lawyer. It's better to fight the cops in court and get money, then fight them in the streets and get injured or dead. Fight us in the streets and you give us a reason to defend ourselves, I can guarantee you will lose EVERY TIME.

Isn't that simple? No? Then you are a moron.

Magnum
edit on 11/4/22 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
1. The taser didn't kill him, it sounds like excited delirium did. Yes excited delirium, read up on it.

2. You listen to a cop, you are ok. You resist, or try to hurt one, well you live with the consequences (or not, like in this case).

- Feel like you've been falsely arrested or rudely dealt with? Get a lawyer. It's better to fight the cops in court and get money, then fight them in the streets and get injured or dead. Fight us in the streets and you give us a reason to defend ourselves, I can guarantee you will lose EVERY TIME.

Magnum

There are people out there that are sick and tired of the "Uber Citizen" that the police have become. Police have over stepped their legal bounds on many occasions. I fully expect to see people rise up in situations where police are abusing the rights of the common man,and take care of the problem. You are not demi-gods or endowed with special abilities to strip the rights of men away. Beware !!!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I do not like the taser, sure they have saved more lives than they have wasted, but i just don't like them.
If we take these tasers from officers, the officers will have to start thinking more, there will be hesitation and officers will die, officers will stop tasing and start shooting.
Sure the taser gives a happy middle ground and sometimes 1 in a million die but...
I truly do not know the stat of how many have been tased to the amount that die but remember these officers get tased also in training.
It is horrible to say but a few deaths in the way of progress is actually acceptable, yes if it is your loss i'm sorry but think of all of the other scumbags who will live and be able to produce military and office equipment in prison factories.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007

Magnum

he would not have died if he hadn't been shot with the taser. isn't that simple? no taser = no death. still don't get it? then you are a... wait. I won't come down to your level.

what if you are unable to comply with the police? you have a medical condition? cops can't even tell when you're dead, that's why they shoot people who reach into their pockets 50+ times. for self defense. so how is a cop supposed to know if a person is actually being noncompliant, or if they have some sort of condition or emergency which is causing them to act irrationally?

Why do the pigs always get the benefit of the doubt? they would literally do anything to cover their own butts, I've never heard a cop step down in disgrace and admit to making the wrong choice in the line of duty. cops get to do whatever they want, whenever they want and they always have their chief and the PR department there to bail them out.

do you ever think that maybe, just maybe, we are asking too much of police officers? we elevate them to superhero status, we think that they are always right and acting in our best interests. the truth is, they're just normal human beings on the clock earning a paycheck. furthermore, the position, title, badge and gun attract bullies and control freaks. a cop can shoot you for not standing where he told you to stand, but you can't even argue?

also, you referred to cops as "we," does that mean that you are one? do think think it's awesome that this guy died? do you feel like he "got what he deserved?" are there any possible alternatives in your mind to electrocuting someone on the sidewalk? why can't an officer tackle the guy? hold his hands behind his back? he NEEDS to be electrocuted?

please, explain to me why each citizen needs to make cops feel like they are special in order to be left in peace? why do we all need to prove our innocence to police? aren't we innocent until PROVEN guilty? cops have it much too easy, i wouldn't mind reading "police officer dies in valiant attempt to stop strange man from walking down the street" a little more often.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

yeah, i hate how the solution to wrongful gun deaths is a slightly less violent variation on something we use to execute people on death row.

why can't we reform the protocol for when an officer is actually allowed to unholster their weapons? UN troops in Rwanda were forced to stand by and watch the genocide due to orders. They weren't allowed to use their guns unless defending their own life or the lives of fellow soldiers. If they had had orders to shoot anyone who seemed like they might be trouble (like cops can), then the massacre would have been much worse and probably turned into a war between invading troops and locals. yet, our cops can empty multiple clips of ammo into a guy for putting his hand in his pocket? Sean Bell

think about that; if a cop were prohibited from even pulling his gun unless he and/or other officers were actually facing violent assault? wouldn't that make more sense than the current "if you think you might be in any sort of danger whatsoever, even from little girls and old ladies, shoot to kill."

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Feel like you've been falsely arrested or rudely dealt with? Get a lawyer. It's better to fight the cops in court and get money

If you think guilty police officers won't lie to escape justice it is YOU who is the moron.

I KNOW they lie in court and on oath, because I have watched and heard guilty police officers lying in court. I know because I witnessed the incident they were lying about.

It is their word against yours in many complaints against the police, and an officer's version of events is usually believed over that of the public. So, more often than not, many complaints against a police officer/s won't usually get to court.
edit on 22-4-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Agreed, the only thing i do know is this is a hard issue to aproach, as situations differ as much as people do and there is no "real" solution other than us all just getting along and being compassionate for our fellow human beings.
But then again like i said we are all different and some love their power too much to just get along.
Just do your best to take care of yours and project positive attitude to others.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Seriously?

Just more chosen-ones garbage.

If you put your hands in your pockets when I'm talking to you should I be justified in tackling you, zapping you, restraining you, announcing to the world that you've disobeyed my mighty and righteous presence so you'll have to deal with caveats and asterisks attached to your name for as long as you live? Your hands in your pockets is just as threatening as my hands in my pockets. But I'm just supposed to concede that the badge automatically makes you trustworthy and forget about the cops everyday who go on raping, killing, assaulting, stealing, stalking and extorting because that one here in front of me, yeah him, he's the trustworthy one who isnt going to make my life a living hell just because we made eye contact on the street.

The strap-on balls and pin-on courage would be useless without the rest of the blue gang supporting every assinine move their buddies make. Might makes right and the mob rules.

Dont check your watch while a cops talking to you. You might make him mad and end up dead and it'll be your fault.

Fearing for their safety from wheelchair bound paraplegics, barking dachshunds and old homeless guys sitting on sidewalks to justify assault. Is there anything they arent afraid of? Tazing their own shadows and firing toward the sound of a door slamming in the distance for safetys sake.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Is there anything they arent afraid of? Tazing their own shadows and firing toward the sound of a door slamming in the distance for safetys sake.

They are afraid because they know how they've been treating people. And know that someday it just isn't going to fly anymore. That's why they are scared little...........

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

...did we just become best friends?!
you hit the nail on the head with the "chosen ones" line. a little academy training and a utility belt and you become the moral beacon of Right and Justice? sorry, Superman is the only one with an infallible moral compass, cops are just sinners like the rest of us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join