It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Israel almost won Argentina the Falklands war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Seems the Israeli president of the time had a deep seated hatred of the British and covertly supplied them gas masks, radar alert systems, air-to-air missiles and fuel tanks for fighter bombers. The most shocking deal involved supplying 23 French-built fighter aircraft – Mirage IIICs – which were camouflaged with the insignia of Peru. But they arrived after the war was over. If those aircraft had arrived an earlier I think the outcome of the Falklands war would probably be in Argentina's favour, at least it shows us who our allies are, any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Margaret thatcher was apparently mulling the decision to deploy nuclear weapons during the Falklands. It is believed she gave the French President Francois Mitterrand the ultimatum, either give us the deactivation codes for the Exocet missiles, or face the prospect of this war going nuclear. These are unsubstantiated claims by Mitterand's psychologist, but personally I believe him.

In the Imperial War Museum in Manchester there is a full scale replica of the weapons deployed at the time, and their destructive capabilities are mapped out in relation to the UK. Really scary stuff.

I don't think the Argentinians would ever have won though.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Argentina really just didn't stand a chance

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

What I wonder is if Argentina had got its hands on these weapons before they initially invaded, would they have been able to keep the island, bearing in mind they were in control at one point. Also the ramifications for the UK if it had lost would be huge, the state our navy was in at the time was shameful, I wonder whether we would have fallen back on our nuclear capabilities if things started going really badly, unlikely but a scary scenario at least.

new topics

top topics

join