It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armed US Drones To Start Libya Missions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Armed US Drones To Start Libya Missions

news.sky.com

Armed US Predator drones will start missions in Libya as rebels take control of a key post on the border with Tunisia.

US President Barack Obama has given the go-ahead to use the unmanned aircraft which have already seen action in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the Predator is an example of the unique US military capabilities that Mr Obama is willing to contribute to the campaign in Libya.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A change of heart from President Obama who only a few days ago advised that there was no need to change the U.S involvement in Libya.

However, the U.S are now claiming that the character of the conflict is changing hence the change of heart.

I would have thought they would have learned from experiences in Pakistan that these things are not as accurate as they claim. I wonder how many civilians will become the unwitting victims of these things?

Also imo it shows that NATO are not capable of inflicting enough damage on Pro Gaddafi forces, without additional support from the U.S.

news.sky.com

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

A change of heart from President Obama who only a few days ago advised that there was no need to change the U.S involvement in Libya.

However, the U.S are now claiming that the character of the conflict is changing hence the change of heart.

I would have thought they would have learned from experiences in Pakistan that these things are not as accurate as they claim. I wonder how many civilians will become the unwitting victims of these things?

Also imo it shows that NATO are not capable of inflicting enough damage on Pro Gaddafi forces, without additional support from the U.S.

news.sky.com

This war isnt about the international community inflicting maximum damage on gaddafi forces, NATO could do this single handedly if it were, its about supporting the rebels so they can do the damage themselves, hence why we are selling them armour and weapons.

Infact, most countries in NATO could wipe out gaddafi if they wanted, especially the likes of Italy, France and the UK.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

The thing is, the international community aren't actually getting involved are they? It's really only NATO.

Although I agree that NATO should be in a position to blow Gaddafi and his supporters off the map, they are not able to, without boots on the ground.

Vietnam is an example of this (although I am not saying this will turn into a Vietnam). The U.S sent Green Berets over to assist with training in the art of Guerilla warfare, but ended up getting involved.

This is the second U turn Obama has made. He initially stated that there was no agenda for a regime change, but changed his mind within a fortnight and ended up issuing a statement along with Sarkozy and Cameron.

Things are not going their way and before you know it, boots are on the ground. Exactly what the International community has not supported.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well I guess people can say that Barack Obama is good at one thing his use of predator drones. So how many countries now are we using predator drones in?? And lets not forget we could be included in that number too soon. I wonder if this will be the thing Obama is remebered for.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Why do we let them openly lie to us? First no boots on the ground now its "advisors" And then no regime change even though it was obvious from jump what they were triyng do do.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

Maybe they are attempting to perfect them in foreign lands before turning them on their own?

You are right of course, Mr Obama, the Noble Peace Prize winner. When is he going to hand it back? I would be too ashamed to hold onto to it to be honest!! But then again, I think this shows the mark of the man. No shame!!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
Why do we let them openly lie to us? First no boots on the ground now its "advisors" And then no regime change even though it was obvious from jump what they were triyng do do.

Because they think we are Plebs and treat us as such.

Don't worry you will get the chance to vote another Liar in next year. Or maybe you will stick with the old one, like you did with Bush.

We do the same of course, only we now have such a bumbling fool in charge. He is our very own Bush!!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Prediction:

Obama will attempt to get around his "no U.S. boots on the ground" promise by equipping all U.S. soldiers bound for Libya with tennis shoes.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Those armed drones are merely UN adviser robots that are being sent to train the as yet identified rebels/potential terrorists.

Nothing to worry about with these drones. Just ask Pakistan. Obama would never back such a mission.

Cheers!!

This is just another level in the R2P doctrine folks. They are moving like clockwork. Gaddafi bombs more civilian targets and we ratchet things up just a little tighter. What do you all think comes after the advisers make their suggestions for further action/training? Remember that the CIA had advisory/intel boots on the ground for weeks prior to the first air strikes.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Prediction:

Obama will attempt to get around his "no U.S. boots on the ground" promise by equipping all U.S. soldiers bound for Libya with tennis shoes.

I agree. And Cameron and Sarkozy will be rubbing their hands at the thought of all that oil being set free.

As I said to a friend once, oil'll be seeing you.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
my prediction we will end of seeing obama on the television landing on a carrier and giving the two big thumbs up mission accomplished.

and who are the rebels in libya? al queda and the radical islamofascists.

arent you people just glad we have obama looking out for the little people over there!!!! i know i am!!

within a decade america has gone from fighting terrorism to aiding them.

the new obama t-shirt being sold at the markets in libya "this drone is for you"
edit on 21-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

You are not invited to all their intelligence briefings I'm assuming so for you to say they are lying to us in incorrect. Military conflicts are very fluid events that change constantly and require those involved to adapt their strategies.

I'm sure Obama would prefer to give no statements on this situation whatsoever but he is constantly pressured, as all presidents are, and he tell the U.S. public what is going on at the moment.

Things do change however as new situations present themselves. I believe he is still holding to his basic policy however even if everything isn't working ideally the way it was planned.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

neo96 your funny thats good stuff haha

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Those armed drones are merely UN adviser robots that are being sent to train the as yet identified rebels/potential terrorists.

Nothing to worry about with these drones. Just ask Pakistan. Obama would never back such a mission.

Cheers!!

This is just another level in the R2P doctrine folks. They are moving like clockwork. Gaddafi bombs more civilian targets and we ratchet things up just a little tighter. What do you all think comes after the advisers make their suggestions for further action/training? Remember that the CIA had advisory/intel boots on the ground for weeks prior to the first air strikes.

Not just CIA friend. British special services have been there for months. Damn, a unit was even caught, yet the international community said feck all.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

wait a minute a lie is a lie no matter if it is foor a good reason or not. it's still lying. and what about the saying all options are on the table. I know I have heard clinton say that a dozen times. As oppose to making statements. Which for me when someone makes a statement I sometimes hold them to said statement. I know were dealing with our government but still i think the rules still apply.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

You are not invited to all their intelligence briefings I'm assuming so for you to say they are lying to us in incorrect. Military conflicts are very fluid events that change constantly and require those involved to adapt their strategies.

I'm sure Obama would prefer to give no statements on this situation whatsoever but he is constantly pressured, as all presidents are, and he tell the U.S. public what is going on at the moment.

Things do change however as new situations present themselves. I believe he is still holding to his basic policy however even if everything isn't working ideally the way it was planned.

Aww come on. to change your basic mission statement in such a short time, demonstrates, ney, absolutely reinforces your original intentions.

Things have changed on the unemployment front in the U.S, but feck all has changed with regards to the way things are being dealt with. This demonstrates, ney, absolutely reinforces the fact TPTB don't give a damn about the average Joe. We are not included in the BIG picture.

The oil is all that matters and to try and hide behind anything else is BS.

new topics

top topics

join