It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'JetMan' Will Fly Through the Grand Canyon In First U.S. Flight,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/162d076dc7e6.jpg[/atsimg]

“JetMan” Yves Rossy, the Swiss aviator, engineer, and PopSci favorite whose jet-powered wing has carried him across the English Channel and Lake Geneva, is planning yet another jet-winged feat, his first on U.S. soil. On May 6, Rossy plans to fly through the Grand Canyon in Arizona, notching what is sure to be a number of “firsts” for both Rossy and the Canyon.

The exact point of Rossy’s flight has yet to be revealed, but we do know that it will take place somewhere in the Western Grand Canyon area and that during his flight Rossy will pass within 700 feet of onlookers as he negotiates his way through the canyon.

For the uninitiated, Rossy flies a novel jet-powered wing of his own design that straps directly onto his back--his body serves as a kind of rudder to control the thing--and provides thrust via four small engines. While the thrust is significant (Rossy can climb to some degree), it’s not enough to get him off the ground, so he has to climb to elevation aboard a plane before jumping and going airborne.

Source: www.popsci.com...

You can see numerous videos of this guy BUT not in the Grand Canyon. That would be so cool to do this.

Maybe someday this will be a means of travel-for some anyway. I wonder about the landings though. Gotta be rough on the body.

Anyone interested in doing this feat? I don't think I would. TOO many rocky edges. But, I do admire him for his efforts.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Does jet-man have a parachute-man strapped to his back in case his jet decides to stop working?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

lol...I have never heard of "JETMAN", cool none the less.

Awesome setup

I wish him a safe flight. It would be nice if it is recorded in HD. The first person perspective flying through the cannon would be great.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Cant get off the ground?

Sounds like he needs to combine the bodyblading suit with his jetpack suit and borrow some deck time on an aircraft carrier

weeeeeeeeeee

grats to the brave and slightly insane jetman though, doing what many dream of.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I sure hope they hook him up with video recording etc.

Any ATSers out that way? Here's your chance to document some history.

I wish him the best, the crazy nut.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
That this guy is wearing a helmet, for some reason, makes me laugh. When you've got rockets strapped to your back you may as well allow yourself a nice clear view of what's ahead.

Also, this isn't the only rocket-man to soon cross the Grand Canyon. Mad Mike is doing it in a rocket-limo setup: .
Mad Mike Hughes

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yep, he's got some lift due to the wing but as with all wings, you need to get substantial airflow over it before it creates lift.

Thats why he jumps from the plane...instant acceleration up to terminal velocity which is about 120mph providing plenty of lift and stability/control over the airfoil. Also why he wears the helmet...4 less drag...

The flying part would be fun but...and it does look like a blast !!

But people forget about one thing....that all aircraft pilots fear. As with Sullenberger...

And that's a potential bird strike which could be fatal since this guy is completely exposed, simply from the impact alone.

Having flown/ piloted small aircraft, things happen really quickly up there, especially when you are closing in on something else that is flying. Its the combined speeds of the two craft = closing speed.

Not much time to correct especially as fast as this guy is flying.

I ride motorcycles too, where bird strikes can also occur, but at least there isn't near as far to fall !!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I was wondering about that. What protection does he have?

As you indicated, one bird and wham!!!!

Even taking him off his game a little bit would be risky at those speeds and height. Crazyman should be his name.

new topics

top topics

join