It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Trave shouldn't be called Time Travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Time Travel should'nt be called Time Travel because it's impossible to travel backwards in time but it's not impossible to travel to the past.

I think the arrow of time is caused by entropy. I think the universe started in the most ordered state. Let's say you have a glass and this glass is in it's most ordered state. The glass breaks into pieces. When you put it in a box and shake it, it will always move from order to chaos because it started out in it's most ordered state.

This is the same with the universe. The universe started in it's most ordered state and no matter how chaotic or ordered it gets the flow of the universe will always be forward from order to chaos. So, it's impossible to travel backwards in time.

Space Travel is possible. Through a wormhole or a more likely scenario, warp drive.

Me at Home Depot in 2011 is just one point in space. Me playing little league in 1980 is just another point in space. Both of these points exists in space. If you can connect both points, then you can travel to a past point in space.

So, if you had an energy source that could warp space, it could bend to another point in space. So you wouldn't be moving, space would be moving and would carry you to another point in space.

As soon as you have motion, you're stuck in time and then you're bound by entropy to move forward in time.This is why you can't travel faster than light. Space can carry you and expand faster than light but motion can't push you faster than light.

Now I think there will be FTL Communication via entanglement and non locality. So if you're friend walks out of the front door and is shot, you can call him minutes before he's shot and tell him to go out of the back door. Now you and your friend are entangled in a universe where he wasn't shot but he's still shot in a parallel universe. There could be problems though because in this universe where he wasn't shot maybe your mother is dead because she didn't survive the cancer treatment like she did in the universe where your friend was shot.

I think we're on the verge of breakthroughs in these areas and these are some exciting times.I

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

Isn't this more about inter-dimensional travel then 'time-travel'.

I personally don't want to buy into the recent, can't go back in time theories.
There is too much we don't know. There may be an entire form of physics we don't understand or see yet, that in time may present itself.
I have just taken the stance in physics, not to take a stance anymore.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I don't like to use terms like impossible either but I think in this case it's warrented. I don't think it's possible to move faster than the speed of light for classical objects. I agree with Hawking when he talks about real time and imaginary time.

I think real time is entropy and it's rigid. It flows forward and that's it. Imaginary time is embedded with space and if you could bend space, you could travel to a past point without disturbing real time(entropy) because there isn't any motion.

join