It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Trump a Closet Liberal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I was just reading a news article and wanted to share it and see what others think.

Trump advocated for universal healthcare in his 2000 book, The America We Deserve, writing that the goal should be to "make reforms for the moment and, longer term, to find an equivalent of the single-payer plan that is affordable, well-administered, and provides freedom of choice."

Trump 'just another liberal'?

Hmmm, that doesn't sound very "Republican" to me.

Here is a link to Trump's position on many political issues back in the 2000 election:

www.issues2000.org...

In addition to the above quote, here is additional comments Trump made on health care:

It is an unacceptable but accurate fact that the number of uninsured Americans has risen to 42 million. Working out detailed plans will take time. But the goal should be clear: Our people are our greatest asset. We must take care of our own. We must have universal healthcare.

There is already a system in place-the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program-that can act as a guide for all healthcare reform. It operates through a centralized agency that offers considerable range of choice.

Another thing that stands out to me is Trump's position on Tax Reform:

I would impose a one-time, 14.25% tax on individuals and trusts with a net worth over $10 million. For individuals, net worth would be calculated minus the value of their principal residence. That would raise $5.7 trillion in new revenue, which we would use to pay off the entire national debt [and shore up the Social Security Trust Fund].

Some will say that my plan is unfair to the extremely wealthy. I say it is only reasonable to shift the burden to those most able to pay. The wealthy actually would not suffer severe repercussions.

As the 2012 election cycle grows closer, it will be interesting to see how Trumps positions hold up in comparison to this 2000 election positions.
edit on 18-4-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Universal Healthcare is a very different beast from Legally Mandated Insurance. U.H. is healthcare for all, cutting out the unnecessary middle man allowing the doctor patient relationship to thrive and reducing overall healthcare costs by increasing efficiency. LMI is a fascist take that puts the insurance companies even further in bed with the government having a net negative effect on healthcare.

I would call UH a hybrid between "liberalism" and "conservatism", however nothing of the sort has been offered to the american people, but instead we have fallen prey to further fascism inherent in the LMI.

You know who else is a closet "liberal"? Limbaugh - at least as I understand nepotism. He has railed against Nepotism when it comes to team blue, but he and his fans are often the biggest nepotists I have ever come across when it's in regards to their own team - they love the core "from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs" philosophy behind nepotism which is giving to people according to your personal feelings despite any real work related performance, thus separating the workers from the "capitalist" function of paying according to performance and instead paying according to how they feel one deserves compensation based on personal, non-work related merits.

edit on 18-4-2011 by Nefarious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nefarious

Limbaugh as a closet liberal?
A closet something perhaps, but I don't get the liberal slant at all.

Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Well, that about does it for Trump.

I was wondering when something like this would come out...I'm just surprised that it was before the primaries...that must mean that the GOP really don't want him involved.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Trump may not be a actual liberal, but he is definitely a Democrat. His donations to the DNC are well known, more money donated than to the RNC. He’ll tell you that it just makes for good business to keep all your options open, but if you look at and listen to his interviews, you’ll see otherwise. Trump is looking to cash in on Americans naivety. Most vote emotionally, rather than rationally. He is taking advantage of the 30 second sound bite society that America has become.

I think he will be a disaster for America if he actually runs, but I don’t think he has the actual stones to do so. He makes more money doing what he does, why take a pay cut. I may be wrong, but I think it’s a publicity stunt.

I respect him as a entrepreneur, not so sure as a politician. I need to see and hear more from him. Right now, I just don’t see it.

top topics

join