It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic groups, farmers file preemptive lawsuit against Monsanto to protect themselves from inevitab

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Organic groups, farmers file preemptive lawsuit against Monsanto to protect themselves from inevitable destruction by GMOs Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

www.naturalnews.com

(NaturalNews) In order to avoid completely losing their businesses and livelihoods to the predatory business model of Monsanto, 60 family farmers, seed businesses and organic agricultural organizations have collectively filed a preemptive lawsuit against the multinational biotechnology giant. Filed by the Public Patent Foundation (PUBPAT) on behalf of the plaintiffs, the suit seeks judicial protection against the inevitable lawsuits Monsanto will file against non-GM and organic farmers when its genetically-modified (GM) seeds and other materials contaminate their fields.

Learn more: http://
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Finally, It seems that some farmers and Organic growers across America are going to try to put a stop to being taken advantage of by Mosanto, This is just one of the reasons sited..

Some say transgenic seed can coexist with organic seed, but history tells us that's not possible, and it's actually in Monsanto's financial interest to eliminate organic seed so that they can have a total monopoly over our food supply," said Dan Ravicher, Executive Director of PUBPAT. "Monsanto is the same chemical company that previously brought us Agent Orange, DDT, PCB's and other toxins, which they said were safe, but we know are not. Now Monsanto says transgenic seed is safe, but evidence clearly shows it is not.

This is one of the main reasons that farmers are fed up with Monsanto's nonsense..

"Even more appalling is the fact that Monsanto's patented genes can blow onto another farmer's fields and that farmer not only loses significant revenue in the market but is frequently exposed to legal action against them by Monsanto's team of belligerent lawyers. Crop biotechnology has been a miserable failure economically and biologically and now threatens to undermine the basic freedoms that farmers and consumers have enjoyed in our constitutional democracy." Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-4-2011 by baddmove because: added text

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Good for them. I completely support their efforts. Monsanto should be banned from open air planting imo. Their frankenplants are just plain dangerous to our ecology and human health imo.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I agree...

I hope these farmers kick the living cr@p out of Monsanto..

Franken food..bah...makes me sick just thinking about it..

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
My husband grew up in an area, and Monsanto did exactly that to one of his neighbours.

Thugs.

Good on this group. I hope that common sense wins over inhumane greed.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Does it really come down to control and money ? It does !

Monsanto developed the "Terminator" gene . . that enables all seeds in a plant to be sterile.

Then they develop the GM hybrids . . the "high maintenance" seeds that require extra water,
extra fertilizers, extra herbicides, and extra pesticides to "yield" more. And who makes the
fertilizer, herbicides, and pesticides ? Right.

They want control of the world's food supply. Farmers have been screwed by them !

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Most of the claims made about GMOs are misleading and outright lies. Organic farming will be a thing of the past soon enough. For years stupid people have been shoveling "organic" food down their throats just because it costs more and says organic. Organic farming has been GMO contaminated for years yet people still eat it and make their false claims of benifits. Organic pesticides are just as dangerous as regular pesticides.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkk
Most of the claims made about GMOs are misleading and outright lies.

strange that you'd say that, because it's true as far as supporting evidence goes.

you see GMOs have been around for more than a decade now, so there's plenty experience (which somehow never makes it into their PR, strange isn't it?) and >organic< vs. anything is a classic false dichotomy.

typically neither farmers nor consumers have benefitted from GM crops. i'll re-use an older post

www.abovetopsecret.com...

After the success of genetically modified cotton in India,

excuse me, but what ?

success???

1,500 farmers commit mass suicide in India

GM in India: the battle over Bt cotton

Indian GM cotton is 'inadequate'; enquiry demanded

excerpt:

NEW DELHI] A study has found that Indian varieties of cotton that have been genetically modified to resist an important insect pest are "inadequate".

The findings back farmers' claims that the pest, known as the bollworm, is able to survive on Bt cotton varieties, modified to resist it.

2005, a Scary Year for Genetically Engineered Crops

if that's considered a success, then i really have to wonder what failure would look like... i especially love the following paragraph:

www.centerforfoodsafety.org...

+ in the last decade, cotton production has declined in the majority of countries that have adopted GM cotton like Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, South Africa and Australia, and significant drops in GM cotton production are forecasted in 2006 for South Africa and Mexico.

...the same variety as in India. again, i have to ask what constitutes a success?

This type of PR work of continuous blatant lying to the point of if becoming an 'established fact' is prototypical. obviously, next to nothing went accodring to plan, yet here they are still capable of spending their way out of the hole they dug for themselves. the real question is who's behind this GMO craze (which has already become approximately as irrational as the widespread global warming hysterial), which continually gives Monsanto, Bayer et al. a free pass for every c***-up imaginable, despite strong (some organized, but apparently bought off) voices against it?

why on earth don't 'green' organisations simply state the track record of GM crops around the world and instead cling to flimsy excuses about health effects which simply will not be 'proven' as long as grants remain the basis for research?? as per Nietzsche, onee of the more insiduous ways of harming a cause is to defend it with bogus argument.

'Green' = = Malthusian Death Cult nowadays and GM crops have their place in such a worldview, i'll let the reader guess which one.

PS: related threads:

GM or Not to GM, Which?

GM crops and the coming famine

one more thread: On Genetically Modified Foods Propaganda and ''Conclusive Science'

of course, in the context of sometimes absurd incentives through subsidies and biofuel programs that are so transparently targetting the entire planet's food supply it all makes sense, GM crops are yet another front in their war against terra (imho of course).
edit on 2011.4.1 by Long Lance because: tags

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

So where are you coming from ? Who benefits the most from doing away with organic ?
And who are you to call people stupid ?

Go patronize Monsanto !

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

Organic is a label that is just slapped on there. Just because something is organic does not mean that it is or is not GMO. Since GMO crops have contaminated organic crops for years any scientifc claims of health benifits really go out the window.
Just as one example there are GM crops that have been made to produce BT (a pesticide) on their own. Thats right, they produce their own pesticide. Sounds bad right? That stuff gets into the water and the air and it is bad for everyone. That all might be true but organic farmer use BT in a spray form all over their crops and BT has been one of the most common organic pesticides for years. So whenever BT is causing problems people point their finger at the "creepy BT GMO plants" and not the organic farmer that is spraying gallons and gallons of the stuff on the air and on his crops. Its a multi million dollar industry that relies on getting people to feel good about paying more for the same thing.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Misleading...

There was a bit more to it than BT cotton that drove those indians to kill themselves

More detailed research by various investigators like Raj Patel,[22] Nagraj.[18].,[23] Meeta and Rajivlochan,[24] identified a variety of causes that essentially boiled down to this: India was transforming rapidly into a primarily urban, industrial society with industry as its main source of income; the government and society had begun to be unconcerned about the condition of the countryside; moreover, a downturn in the urban economy was pushing a large number of distressed non-farmers to try their hand at cultivation; the farmer was also caught in a Scissors Crisis; in the absence of any responsible counselling either from the government or society there were many farmers who did not know how to survive in the changing economy
en.wikipedia.org...'_suicides_in_India#Causes

your "2005, a Scary Year for Genetically Engineered Crops" is nothing and the thread "On Genetically Modified Foods Propaganda and ''Conclusive Science'' is just rantings and has little to do with any form of science.
lets look at some highlights.

One GMO Scientist claimed that citizens are ''less free'' if they DONT have the option to buy GMO food at the Market. WTF!? Were less free because we dont want a tomato-fish-monkey DNA Strawberry that we can eat now and die later from some new crazy-awesome disease?!

Fish-monkey DNA and crazy awesome disease, these either are made up or some advanced bio-industry terms.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

I cannot believe that you defend this evil company.

Yes, they started out with good intentions . . but they've gone . . over.

A simple thread search on Monsanto here is enough to boil your blood.

It's about control, and money.

Sooner or later they'll need Xe !

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Nice post LL..

a lot of good info in those links...

sadly, most of them are true and we are all skrewed..

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Doesn't matter if GM or Organic.

What matters is, who controls the food supply.

I would rather the people control the food supply than a corporation who has some of the most predatory putrid business practices on Earth.
edit on 2011/4/1 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

Well, i for one am not gonna take your word for it..

post some proof or at least some links..

all the organic food where i live is straight from the fields around here..

The palouse is Monsanto free so far..

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkk

BT or RR, who cares about the exact modification when the seeds are 40% more expensive than comparable breeds? wouldn't that alone at least contribute to their financial problems? now, IF pesticide use could be sharply reduced, this might still not be a problem, but so far:

www.deccanherald.com...

On Friday, agri-biotech company Monsanto reported that its Bt cotton for the first time failed to offer protection to almost one-third of cotton plants from pink bollworm in four districts of Gujarat in 2009.

The four districts – Amreli, Bhavnagar, Junagarh and Rajkot – saw an unusual survival rate of pink bollworm to the first-generation, single protein Bollgard cotton, which was monitored by a national network of scientists.

“In other season, typically four-to-five per cent of cotton plants fall prey to pink bollworm. But this time, 25-30 per cent plants were under attack,” K R Kranthi, director of Central Institute of Cotton Research in Nagpur who heads the monitoring network, told Deccan Herald.

the tech openly labelled inadequate in a category that is suppsoed to justify its existence, when you take water consumption or resistance to drought into account, the scales tip further against GM crops, see the following thread for example:

Scientists call for GM review after surge in pests around cotton farms in China, page 1

you could of course cite misuse as the primary cause of failure, but then you'd expect patterns to vary between countries, but no, failures everywhere. if GMOs work well in bioreactors and see widespread commercial use and success there, why can't we apply the same standards to crops

therein lies the rub, the stuff doesn't work very well, if you consider yields, it doesn't get better:

www.psrast.org...

overall, i'd like to see a good reason to actually grow these, but the industry only publishes PR without substance.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Here is a good video series to watch...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I forgot to add that you can watch the other parts on you tube..

just open the link..I didn't want to post all of them..

thanks....

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I hope that this group is successful in their lawsuit. Next step: they should gain the right to sue Monsanto when an organic field gets contaminated by a GM operation. It is Monsanto, the producer of the evil seed that should be liable for the contamination; not the farmer who wanted nothing to do with it in the first place.

The current situation is so ridiculous that it is unbelievable that they should even have to take this step - but that is how the law works in a corporatocracy.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkk
reply to post by SIEGE

Organic is a label that is just slapped on there. Just because something is organic does not mean that it is or is not GMO. Since GMO crops have contaminated organic crops for years any scientifc claims of health benifits really go out the window.
Just as one example there are GM crops that have been made to produce BT (a pesticide) on their own. Thats right, they produce their own pesticide. Sounds bad right? That stuff gets into the water and the air and it is bad for everyone. That all might be true but organic farmer use BT in a spray form all over their crops and BT has been one of the most common organic pesticides for years. So whenever BT is causing problems people point their finger at the "creepy BT GMO plants" and not the organic farmer that is spraying gallons and gallons of the stuff on the air and on his crops. Its a multi million dollar industry that relies on getting people to feel good about paying more for the same thing.

You clearly know nothing about Organic farming or organic standards. Organic standards dictate that BT can only be used in moderation, because when it is over-used, it becomes useless. That is one of the organic communities big complaints about BT-engineered crops, is it endangers ALL crops in the long run.

Of course, you would know this if you had any knowledge on the subject instead of reactionary hatred for an entire industry.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join