It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama authorizes secret support for Libya rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

www.wdez.com

President Barack Obama has signed a secret order authorizing covert U.S. government support for rebel forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, government officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

Obama signed the order, known as a presidential "finding", within the last two or three weeks, according to four U.S. government sources familiar with the matter.

Such findings are a principal form of presidential directive used to authorize secret operations by the Central Intelligence Agency. The CIA and the White House declined immediate comment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edit: Fixed link.

edit on 30-3-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, there you have it. Who knows what type of support we have been providing to these unknown rebels? al-Qaida must be loving this right now.

We all know that this type of activity is common and has been done throughout many administrations. However, this should serve as yet another rude awakening to Obama's supporters who are still looking for Hope and Change.

I would expect all of the same talking heads who consistently assaulted Bush to assault Obama on the same action.

www.wdez.com

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

ARMS SUPPLIES

The article, by VOA intelligence correspondent Gary Thomas, said covert action "can encompass many things, including propaganda, covert funding, electoral manipulation, arming and training insurgents, and even encouraging a coup."

U.S. officials also have said that Saudi Arabia and Qatar, whose leaders despise Gaddafi, have indicated a willingness to supply Libyan rebels with weapons.

Members of Congress have expressed anxiety about U.S. government activates in Libya. Some have recalled that weapons provided by the U.S. and Saudis to mujahedeen fighting Soviet occupation forces in Afghanistan in the 1980s later ended up in the hands of anti-American militants.

There are fears that the same thing could happen in Libya unless the U.S. is sure who it is dealing with. The chairman of the House intelligence committee, Rep. Mike Rogers, said on Wednesday he opposed supplying arms to the Libyan rebels fighting Gaddafi "at this time."

"We need to understand more about the opposition before I would support passing out guns and advanced weapons to them," Rogers said in a statement.

www.reuters.com...

Your damned right! You better learn much more about the "rebels". You had better figure what is going to be done with Gaddafi also. Somehow sending to him into the exile of a French or English country manor doe not cut it with me. Remember the posh "exile" digs that Baby Doc Duvalier got?? Remember what he did to his people?
edit on 30-3-2011 by jibeho because: fix link

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

www.wdez.com

President Barack Obama has signed a secret order authorizing covert U.S. government support for rebel forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, government officials told Reuters on Wednesday.

Obama signed the order, known as a presidential "finding", within the last two or three weeks, according to four U.S. government sources familiar with the matter.

Such findings are a principal form of presidential directive used to authorize secret operations by the Central Intelligence Agency. The CIA and the White House declined immediate comment.

Okay, the obvious question is that if he signed a ***SECRET*** agreement... How do we know about it!!?? It's not so secret of an agreement if we all know about it is it? Something smells rather fishy about this.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a 404 when clicking the link? A 404 to a country music station no less

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't surprise me that the US are thinking the greater the help to the rebels, the greater the spoils of war. Meaning oil reserves and drilling rights.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think its really funny that Gadaffi, TOLD the entire world that the rebels he was fighting against were Al Qaeda, (terrorists) and you know what, I believe that the the leaders of the Countries that are enforcing this no-fly zone, knew he was telling the truth.

Now that the truth is finally being "somewhat" reported on, that there are factions of the rebels that did fight in Afghanistan and are part of Al Qaeda, the world seems to not care.

Now it seems that there are bad Al Qaeda and that there are good Al Qaeda and the ones we are helping are the "good" ones.

I dont think the average citizen actually believes their spoon fed lies, i think that they just dont care anymore, that new 3d LCD TV is on sale at Wal Mart and they are really concerned about which budget to cut, so they can go buy it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I keep getting the 404 also

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Hmmmm. Let me think this thru: Al Quaeda has infiltrated the Libyan rebels. Obama and the NATO allies want to arm the rebels. Rebels win but Al Quaeda controls the leadership and thus the new government. New (AQ) government turns against the US, it;s interests and allies. Now we have a real excuse to send in the troops. "From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli....."

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Sorry about the link. It was taken from Reuters. This action was "secret" in that it was authorized 2 to 3 weeks ago in advance of the air strikes.

Here it is.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I whole heartedly agree with you sir. I voted for Obama but never will do again I promise, however, I did not fall prey to Bush Jr. for two terms. When I saw the Obama financial team in the beginning I knew I was sold out but this confirms it as well.

Just a simple review of Bush's cabinet can explain how we got here but without a doubt Obama is a typically sell out to military complex like the rest. I heard he was even pushing the new jet to Brazil and the rest in South America on his last trip, what a defense/corporate/bankster shill.

I wonder how much it is really, I am sure a collective could buy him off as well since they are all for sale.

edit on 30-3-2011 by coolhanddan because: misspelled prey

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This answers my repeated questions about how the rebels got such advanced weapons so quickly. Obama--Just like all the rest.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Damn then you better add Bush, Cheney, and Obama to that list
You know what they did to their people?
And where do you think all these countries got their weapons from??
The good ole US of A
supply both sides and make a billion regardless of the outcome
edit on 30-3-2011 by laslidealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I get the feeling that we're on the verge of WW3. It seems like every single political body in the so-called "west" has a hidden agenda against the middle-east. I know that here in the US, the common citizen views the entire middle-east as a significant danger or threat to the rest of the world. It doesn't make any sense to me that we keep trying to police this specific area, yet we have far bigger issues in our own country. There's definitely more to all of this commotion in the middle-east and we're clearly being supressed of the real facts and information. Perhaps there's a religious motive and we're really in the midst of large-scale holy war of Good against Evil. In America, we're obviously encouraged to dedicate our entire life to money and materialistic items. Realistically, I think we're the ones with mixed up priorities and values. The sad part is, people don't even realize it and the government will continue to abuse their power and influence.
edit on 30-3-2011 by EileenBackenswallo11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
This answers my repeated questions about how the rebels got such advanced weapons so quickly. Obama--Just like all the rest.

What advanced weaponry?

All i've ever read them as having is suff they've captured from MG's regime - either off the field or out of armouries, or that defectors have driven or flown in.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a 404 when clicking the link? A 404 to a country music station no less

TPTB don't like having us listen to country music. It reminds us of how screwed up our lives are.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I am suspicious of them having tanks, machine guns, helicopters a couple weeks into the revolts. Does not seem like an uprising by normal citizens. I do understand that some weaponry can be captured, but tanks and choppers? And who taught these "peasants" to drive tanks and fly choppers?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

Flag for you as I was thinking the same thing, and loving how not one other person in the thread has mentioned it or even replied to you. I smelly something fishy here lol.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

The information was leaked to Reuters from within Obama's adminstration. Indicating that there could possibly be some dissention and dissatisfaction within his ranks. Remember, Obama is the man who campaigned to end all of our wars, bring our troops home and close Gitmo.

Since then, we have deployed more troops to Aghanistan, kept troops in Iraq and continue to use Gitmo. And now we have Libya to deal with.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Pardon the bump. But, given the recent developments in LIbya, I find this story very relevant. Time sure flies when TPTB play games and manipulate the affairs of the world.

join