It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portable solar device creates potable water!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

A Monash University grad student has managed to create a simple, sustainable and affordable water purification device with the potential to save an incredible number of lives and eradicate diseases.

The Solarball, as it is called, was developed by Mr Jonathan Liow as his final year project in his Bachelor of Industrial Design can produce up to three liters of clear, drinkable water per day. What happens is the spherical unit absorbs sunlight and causes the dirty water to evaporate; as the evaporation occurs, contaminants are separated from the clean water, which is then condensed, and ready for drinking.

The Solarball was created with 900 million people who don’t have access to clean water in mind.

Read More >>

Absolutely fascinating this thing has potential. I'm surprised it's been permitted to see the light of day. Technology that has the potential of saving lives, and improving many others. Weeeoooow!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Now let's see if it ever makes it out into the light of day. Not only because of other interests that may not want the common man having such revolutionary technology but also because it takes a lot of time for such things to become commonplace in the world.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

That is completely awesome! I want two, maybe three. One for me, some for other people.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
They won't let all their hard work of suppression and dominance based on resource scarcity be dethrowned by such inventions available to the public. Still waiting on those water engines I saw on the news back in the 80s. It's not going to happen, not as long as these old money cotton heads are in charge of things.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The guy that invented the Segway also invented a fantastic water filtration system.

Segway Inventor’s New Device Turns Sewage into Clean Water

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm a little confused here-I'm pretty sure this tech already exists. There are UV filtration water bottles which purify water using the sun.

www.ultraviolet.com...

www.vagablogging.net...

inhabitat.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
you have to be carefull
distilled water leeches the minerals OUT of your system
also what about chemicals that evaporate below the evap temp of water

this has a place I'm sure
but it isn't the be all and end all

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
They won't let all their hard work of suppression and dominance based on resource scarcity be dethrowned by such inventions available to the public. Still waiting on those water engines I saw on the news back in the 80s. It's not going to happen, not as long as these old money cotton heads are in charge of things.

Middle Tennessee State, Dr. Cliff Ricketts. Built one and drives it to award winning showcases. Designed in the 80's and still NOT being manufactured. Your so right.

top topics

join