It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting system for posts what posts people find offensive.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Instead of having moderators with absolute control on weather or not a persons post should be blocked or not, why not have some sort of voting system in place for what people find offensive or not. Many, many other forums and websites have this feature, so why not this one? Is democracy and free speech not alive on this website?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

No, private property and service is not democracy. Neither is anything that is capitalistic. If what you described were to occur the site would be reduced to throngs of forum gangs voting up what they want to be the official message and down anyone who remotely disagrees.

Even sites like reddit and digg are in fact: Moderated.

That scenario would not work on a site with such diversified topics as ATS. At leas, in my oppin.

Edit to add:
I love the quasi-irony of your Karl Marx quote given the nature of the post

edit on 26-3-2011 by lordtyp0 because: Karl Marx for the WIN! Comrade...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Similar ideas have been brought up before.... ATS has the best system and enforcement I have ever come across on ANY site on the internet... Bar none.

Look, such an idea would lead to people taking advantage of this system. You don't like some one, vote against their post... etc.... Don't say it would not happen... Because I know of plenty of people who go crying to the mods just because they don't like someone.

Your system would not work on a site as large as this. People would take advantage of it and use it as a weapon against people they don't like.

It is much better to have unbiased mods enforce the rules... In other words.... If it aint broke, don't fix it.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Karl Marx was not against voting. All i am saying is when it comes to something being offensive or not.. Why are very racist remarks that i and other people find offensive not being taken care of yet other remarks that even the moderators not find offensive removed.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
There are plenty of unmod'd sites that I've seen that are mayhem, and filled with ugly, psychotic gibberish and personal attacks. I realise you're suggesting censorship by concensus, as opposed to no moderation at all, but it would just become a horror to have to read through stuff while it's being debated imo. I prefer things left as they are.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Democracy is taken advantage of in the real world as well, do you think it shouldn't exist because people take advantage of it as well?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Please post any comments or opinions you have to this ongoing thread thank you.

ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

Thread closed / removed

Sauron
Super-Moderator
edit on 26/3/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

join