It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

imac network card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hello,
Just a quick question regarding the imacs. In this mac it appears that the network card has gone bad. Before I look into tearing it apart, does anyone know if the nic is serviceable or if it would require an entire MB change. It has a model identifier of imac6,1.

TIA

edit on 23-3-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Doesn't it have built in wireless? Not as fast as ethernet, granted - but maybe preferable to forking out for a new mobo?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It used to be easy to do (it was under the keyboard). Now Apple has made damn near impossible for even a lifetime Mac user like myself to figure out how to get in there without breaking it.
You should try doing all the system updates first to see if that fixes the airport.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Pretty sure they are a MB component like the Mac Mini and laptops. The Airport might still work and would be cheaper if the iMac is not still under warranty, provided that is an option for you. Might be worth it to call your local Apple Store and ask to be sure.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Most boards today have an integrated NIC so it's non replaceable. I can't seem to find detailed specs for the board itself, but due to the slim design of the imac I'd bet it's integrated. According to 1 website there are no expansion slots, so it might require a full board replacement

Don't quote me, I only fiddle with my mac g4 cube.

you can always fork out for a USB nic, much cheaper than replacing the board

edit on 23-3-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Also, another much cheaper option would be to get a wi-fi usb dongle.
Most of them say they they are not compatible with Mac but they actually are. For instance, the Netgear ones are actually made by Buffalo, so you could just used the Buffalo Mac drivers.

Although, if you still have the Apple Care you should just bring it in for repair.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Sorry I just woke up and accidently read that it was a MacBook because of the "MB" I guess.
But either way, you cant get to the airport card on iMacs anymore either.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I think I will try the usb-enet adapter option.

Thanks.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Just upgrade your mac

top topics

join