It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are So Many Good Members Banned After Being In The Chat Room?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Over the last several months I have watched several good and contributing members suddenly be banned. I go to their profile and check their last posts, and usually there is nothing suspicious, and later I find out they were banned from a chat room exchange. Most of the members did not seem harsh or rude, although some did, most did not, imo., and many were ATS vets(long time members) I am not much of a "chatter" so I have not spent any time there, but what goes on? Do people start attacking each other?
I don't know man, but I'd say enter with caution and respect....

spec
edit on 18-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Prolly for inappropriate language, which I do not understand cause the chat filters it..
But gm's still come in when they see it.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I have never been in the Chat Room and don't want to go there. I have been told that it was decided in the chat for people not to go to my threads or reply to any of my comments. I had never been on a forum or blog and did make the mistake of taking what others said to heart, being over sensitive has always been a problem that I really don't want to over come, because then I would have to stop caring. I have found when someone is rude are just down right mean, I don't have to even answer them. Just kill em with kindness.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

being over sensitive has always been a problem that I really don't want to over come, because then I would have to stop caring.

Me too! I guess the rudeness coupled with a bit of alkeehol may play a part too, but yea people get sensitive and overly defensive as well I guess. Not everyone uses kindness as a defense either, but hey, to each their own, just be careful I guess, because it ain't worth being banned over.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Because people can't control themselves, somebody always has to be a wise apple and say something stupid or just plain ole cause trouble.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Hmmm, so chatting may bring out some of the more negative attributes, because the members I am speaking of were always cordial in their posts. Not that they were not opinionated, even strongly at times, but always "in control" if not downright enlightening. I just hate to see some go, but hey, we kind of determine our own path and make our own choices so.....Are the bans permanent, or temporary? It seems they are permanent.
Anyway, I just felt like inquiring and perhaps encouraging a little "self control" in there, we don't wanna lose ya, unless you are a trollish AHole set out to ruffle feathers and insult.

Thanks,
spec

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I have never had a negative experience in the ATS chat room. I usually frequent the chat during the ATS Live show and pretty much everyone has been welcoming, witty, and have had good points to make regarding the topic even if their views were different from mine.

Just my experience and it's been a good one.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

This is good to hear, and I am sure there is more positive and entertaining chatting than negative. I am just surprised at who some of the members have been that were banned, because they seemed like what you described. I will refrain from specifics, as it against T&C, and maybe I am putting too much into this, and for the amount of chatting that occurs, the fallout is small by comparison. Guess I am just disappointed in losing some, and miss them....

spec

edit on 18-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

That is very hopeful, but for a new member just being on ATS has been painful, and I have never even been on the Chat. All I have to do is look at the threads I have commented on. 4 out of the 5 new threads I have commented on tonight ended with me, no comments on them in over an hour now. I even feel guilty about that. I just thought the world was so nice and I am still lost in Never Land I guess where people really care about each other. Not!!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I live in chat and I have seen some get chat banned for just being stupid when they were warned many times.

If they have to tell you more than a few times then you should be chat banned. I only know of a few and they deserved to be chat banned. Some regular members of chat have taken an ATS break so that is also why you probably havent seen a few members in there either.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I have commented on. 4 out of the 5 new threads I have commented on tonight ended with me, no comments on them in over an hour now.

So...you are a thread killer huh? Don't sweat it, it is perfectly normal and most likely has nothing to do with your posts. Things just move so fast here and out of people's view, so to say. Don't get discouraged, the more you participate, the better it gets, I think. You sound kind and considerate and that does well here, imo.
Keep your head up and bask in whatever glory you may find here.
Nevernever land ain't so bad either, we just can't stay there if we want to connect with the rest of the world, but we can always retreat there.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Chat's not so bad. There's nothing to be afraid of EVERYONE. Come on in, we won't bite.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks mblah, I was wondering if they got warnings first, which I assumed they did and that left me even more surprised at some of the members who got banned. I guess I would think a quality member would know better or not risk being banned. Egos are at play though with live conversation, and sometimes they must get in the way.

Peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I actually wonder why anyone would say that about your posts in chat or not. I have been going to chat for some time now and have never had a problem with anyone. People are kind and it's fun there. Maybe you could use the chat voyeur feature to see what goes on there without putting yourself in a position where you feel uncomfortable. If you don't care then never mind, but if you really think it's bad in there, you would be mistaken.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Oh, Thank you, I stayed off for a while, and I see what you mean. Maybe my problem is I have to always get the last word. I think a few people have told me that before. LOL

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie

. All I have to do is look at the threads I have commented on. 4 out of the 5 new threads I have commented on tonight ended with me, no comments on them in over an hour now.

Oh please don't let that get you down and most of all, don't let it keep you from ATS or posting your views and opinions! If I click on 'MyATS' I can tell you, unless it's a hot topic/thread, several of them have me being the last post. I use to think I was a 'thread killa' and I too took it personally. As the above poster stated, thing move really quick around here.

I must warn you of something else as well. Making your own threads. You may find a subject you're very interested in, you research the topic and grace ATS with an informative thread only to get 3, 1, or even zero responses. Again, please don't be discouraged. It happens to us all. Then the reverse will happen. You'll publish a thread thinking nothing of it and wake up the next day to find it has exploded; complete with trolls, people who are in disagreement and don't have much tact, and members who further enlighten your idea/theory/view. Perhaps you'll even get an 'applaud' by a staff member that makes you glow with delight. I speak from experience with all of these issues.

I am a 'heart on the sleeve' kinda gal. One thing ATS has taught me is to have a tougher skin. I'm working on it.

Please keep coming around & posting!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Thank you for that, I have been glued to the computer since 1994, but this is my first forum or chat or blog type site, which is probably my problem. If you don't enteract with people after a while you don't know how to act. I have meet some great people and made one really dear friend. That is what counts the people you meet and the times shared. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks mblah, I was wondering if they got warnings first, which I assumed they did and that left me even more surprised at some of the members who got banned. I guess I would think a quality member would know better or not risk being banned. Egos are at play though with live conversation, and sometimes they must get in the way.

Peace,
spec

Yeah you would think they would know better lol They are really strict about the T&C in chat and some just try and push that and well they suffer from the chat ban hammer then lol

I remember when they closed chat because of drug talk..I was not happy because I wasn't one of the ones who caused it, I was a little annoyed at the ones who did. They don't mess around in chat with that topic and others. I mean when you sign into chat it tells you the rules and well some just like to make their own I have seen.

I know OKS is just taking a break from ATS he isn't gone, I know he was in there a lot. The others I can't really talk about since they were banned from chat. I have see some members dare mods to kick or ban them in chat. It's like they think it's a game and well it's not. I just laugh when they are kicked and chat banned. I was chat banned for 24hrs once but it was when they had that darn flooding thing lol It sucked!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Nothing bad about the chat room, I have frequented there, for about a year off and on, and let me tell you, if I am not banned, you have nothing to worry about. Just dont write down cuss, words and don't talk about drugs, and do your chat thing, its pretty easy..

I know some people got banned, one banned member comes to mind, because he was harassing a member laughing at her about a natural disaster. He deserved it. I know back in early autumn of 2010, some stupid things were happening in the chat, room so allot of people went to skype, because its more carefree and you did not have to worry about what you chat about. The chat room is very care bear thou, I remember a chat member was complaining, and complaining, about no one talking about ATS topics in chat, instead we were chattin about real life work etc etc, socializing having fun, they closed chat If I remember made some kinda disclaimer before you can enter, and that pissed allot of people off. Not to mention the person who did all the complaining does not chat about ats topics, instead the member chats mainly about their social life or their odd line of work.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Thanks for the reply Bicent76, so is there an ATS Skype room or something? Or is it just Skype, and some ATS members go there to commune?

spec

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join