It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan quake live blog: Small amount of radiation reaches California, official says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
news.blogs.cnn.com...

I guess all the naysayers and government were wrong again?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Why would the government tell people not to take precautions?

Now as many of us new the radiation has hit home.

The sad part is the officials won't even tell us how much!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
They let us know that radiation is there and yet wont tell the amount and expect people to believe that its not anywhere near harmful for humans, how does that work. Tell us what the levels are and let us determine if we think its harmful or not

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
They let us know that radiation is there and yet wont tell the amount and expect people to believe that its not anywhere near harmful for humans, how does that work. Tell us what the levels are and let us determine if we think its harmful or not
You can look here:
www.radiationnetwork.com...
www.blackcatsystems.com...
You'll get more radiation from the second-hand smoke from the guy sitting next to you than you will from what the US has received from Japan so far according to those radiation detectors. But many people don't even seem to know cigarette smoke is radioactive.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
Why would the government tell people not to take precautions?

Now as many of us new the radiation has hit home.

The sad part is the officials won't even tell us how much!!!

I don't think it's a matter of our (US) government not wanting us to take precautions. In truth, I'm very worried about people freaking out and dosing themselves w/potassium iodide, or just plain being hysterical. Granted if you ingest food with radioactive iodine (the real culprit here is actually milk, if cows eat contaminated grain/grass, etc...), there is a risk. Some people may have a serious allergic reaction to these pill's. Have you ever had an x-ray or MRI along w/a contrast dye? The first type of dye most people are given is iodine based. Some people have a very bad, though seldom fatal, reaction. In some regards radiation exposure can at dose level "A" affect some people and not others. Some people can be exposed to the plague and they don't get sick. (THAT I would be really worried about) But radiation exposure is a crapshoot, at least below a certain acute dose. I sound like a broken record, but try to get as much "non-ideological" info. as possible. The US territories in the Pacific will be closely monitoring the radiation from Japan. And I will be monitoring them. This is an example of not having to depend on any one government for news. In that sense the "hesitancy,etc." of the Japanese government is un-nerving.

Hope I didn't piss off the whole dairy lobby....There's no problem w/them but it's good to keep your ears/eyes open, in any case...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

its a small amount apparently (my friends are takign readings down there and haven't recorded any significant spikes) so It's probably barely enough to determine what is background radiation and what is fallout, either way it's not enough to cause harm

SMR

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join