It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An ATS member reports from central Tokyo: Part 2

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
You can't help but wonder about the quality and safety of the food they are restocking the shelves with. Taiwan reports finding radiation in Japanese beans. China rejects a whole cargo plane because of excessive radiation; yet who tests the food that gets moved around within Japan?

Is anyone doing this or are they just letting the people eat it as is? Were I there I would be more paranoid about this than just about anything else. You avoid the contaminated part of the country but the winds and the food chain bring the contamination right to your doorstep and your pantry!!

The agriculture and health ministries have been testing food nationwide since the release of radiation became apparent, in accordance with the law.

As of tuesday morning, shipments of spinach, kakina, and raw milk have been halted from Fukushima, Ibaraki, Gunma and Tochigi prefectures.

Every news program here has been covering this story in detail. Everyone knows that the most serious of Chernobyl's health after effects came from eating contaminated food. That's why the law that governs testing food and drinking water and air quality after a nuclear incident was written.

Fortunately, the contamination is limited to iodine, which has a half life of 8 days.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Leaving Japan today for another warmer, hopefully less seismic island. If all goes well, I'll be on a plane in a handful of hours. I plan to retun to Japan within a month, if possible.

This has been a weird thread and it hasn't really shown me at my best, but I was under enormous pressure from several fronts a once and there are things you can't be expected to be aware of that were going on. I hope at least some of the photos and basic info were useful to people on some level. I also really appreciate all the kind words of the posters in this thread and U2Us, which meant alot to me in a tough time.

Rain continues and traffic is light on the road away from Tokyo towards Narita. The people in Tokyo have impressed me deeply on every level with their fortitude and ability to respond smoothly to pressure and danger. It's not an original observation, but no less true for that.

Radiation reading several hours ago from third party (unconfirmed personally): 0.22 μSv/h. this is higher than yesterday but still within the normal range.

Out.

edit on 3/21/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Leaving Japan today for another warmer, hopefully less seismic island. If all goes well, I'll be on a plane in a handful of hours. I plan to retun to Japan within a month, if possible.

This has been a weird thread and it hasn't really shown me at my best, but I was under enormous pressure from several fronts a once and there are things you can't be expected to be aware of that were going on. I hope at least some of the photos and basic info were useful to people on some level. I also really appreciate all the kind words of the posters in this thread and U2Us, which meant alot to me in a tough time.

Rain continues and traffic is light on the road away from Tokyo towards Narita. The people in Tokyo have impressed me deeply on every level with their fortitude and ability to respond smoothly to pressure and danger. It's not an original observation, but no less true for that.

Radiation reading several hours ago from third party (unconfirmed personally): 0.22 μSv/h. this is higher than yesterday but still within the normal range.

Out.

Good luck to you.

Can't really blame you for leaving. If I were in Tokyo, I would be doing the same thing.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Thank you for all the updates, I really appreciated following the thread and getting the perspective offered.

Safe travels.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I'm so glad you're posting again, ST! I would have unhappily wondered how your adventure turned out for a long time. Thanks. I am enjoying your posts and find them interesting.
I agree with Robyn 100% and ignore the trolls. They seem to be conspicuously absent from the threads seeking ideas for help. Funny that. I wonder if these are the modern "sob sisters" of decades ago.
Stay safe and enjoy the beauty (literally and figuratively) that remains. It is precious.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Thinking about this thread now...filter out the noise and there are a few interesting points. For example, seems to me the OP was obsessed with the problem of evacuation and human movement, almost more than he was worried about the radiation. And the more I think about it, the bigger of an issue it presents.

The NY times had a good article on it.It seems like there are two things that are important in a mass evacuation: "the lesson of Katrina? Get everybody out, and get them out early....The lesson of Rita? Limit evacuations only to those most at risk, and have plans in place well in advance to reverse traffic flow patterns on major arteries."
Check it:
www.nytimes.com...

Notice how they both seem necessary and yet they are basically incompatable. I am sitting here trying to think it through and my head is splitting it. No wonder the OP was slightly crazed...can you imagine being in that sea of humanity with that thought running around the ratcage of your mind?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Thanks for your posts. Be safe!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I am going to add to the thanks here, ST. You have done your best in Japan, one person cannot be expected to save a nation. It's not as if you traveled there armed to help with a natural disaster. You were a victim of circumstance as much as any Japanese citizen. I cannot imagine what my reaction would have been in similar circumstances, and I highly doubt that any of the members that disparaged you have EVER been in such a position.

I am very glad that you are going someplace that is (hopefully?) safer. Let me know when you arrive and that you are settled in!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thanks S.T. for all your time and effort in reporting back back to us. I'm sure that being there was quite the experience for you. I wish you all the best wherever it is you move to.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Dear Silent Thunder -

Thank you again for sharing your perspective and sticking it on here despite the highly judgemental tone of a few posters.

I am glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself and exiting Japan for a little while.

namaste -

robyn

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Out.

Thank you friend .. Your reports helped much.. Just in for a short time during dinner to pm a few friends updates on things and take a quick look through forums before getting a couple hours of sleep.. Its been a busy week and much to do in the coming weeks here..
Glad to see you didnt let the sanctimonious bastards get to you.. Am pm updates to a few friends as Ive not got the time, inclination nor mood to put up with the sanctimonious bastards who gave you grief and ruined your last thread..
Take care friend..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
ST, I am bringing this thread back to life. I feel others and myself would like to continue to learn about what is happening in tokyo and the other parts If anything happens in tokyo,we will be able to hear it firsthand from you.There are too much false reports and information that we are being fed so we want to know what is really going on.
Thank You
p.s. I will u2u you later as I need some private info about the biz situation .

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Starman

Well, thanks for your trust in me.

I left Tokyo for three days and then returned. My plans are fluid, but basically I will be going back and forth between Tokyo and Southeast Asia. I've been posting updates in a thread of the RATS forum of ATS (access restricted to posters with over 200 posts):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know there are a lot of good people who have been interested in my posts who won't be able to read that, but I did it that way to avoid some of the trolling that de-railed this thread before. I'm sorry to anyone who wanted to see that who can't.

In the interests of those who might want to know, I will reproduce some edited versions of some posts in that thread, below.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This was posted be me on

On march 26:

Report from Tokyo
March 26, 2011

RADIATION: No reading available for the next 8 hours or so. Third party Geiger readings to be reported thereafter (hopefully).

Weather: Sunnny, 11 degrees C, wind from the NNW, about 44 Km/h, few clouds, reported 30% chance of rain.

Transportation: Trains up, traffic flow light for Tokyo but still substantial, same for pedestrian flow. Pedestrian flow was markedly greater in the Shibuya district than in the Shinjuku district, why I don't know. Major roads in and out of Tokyo clear and unmanned by either public or private personnel[NOTE: CONJECTURE on last point]. I spent the last 3 days bent over maps trying to estimate egress flows in the event of mass panic or mass flight. I have identified 7 strategic "choke-points" that have a high probability of causing trouble in the event of mass egress; they will bear close scrutiny in the days ahead.

Military/Paramilitary presence/activity in city: Light/normal. Somewhat elevated police presence. Far-right paramilitary and organized crime elements are "awake and aware" to the situation, it should be noted, and some have commenced heightened activities.

Electricity/power: Electricity generally available; lights still dim. Rolling blackouts have been implemented in different zones but not in central Tokyo, yet at least. Conspicuous power-conservation campaigns of various types are being implemented.

Food/basic supplies: After a panic on Thursday night in the wake of reported elevated radiation levels in city water, hoarding again resumed. Supplies, and especially bottled water, had been returning to more normal levels earlier this week, but for now at least conditions in many stores seem to have returned to earlier, more severe circumstances. Bottled water makers are reportedly working round the clock. After two weeks of shortages and logistics interruptions, the strain is starting to show in little yet telling ways (reduced menus in restaurants, fewer amenities in public spaces, etc.)

Commerce:: A larger number of stores seem to be shuttered or empty than before (subjective impression only). Most offices closed for the weekend. Most large offices still open in general, yet often short staff, etc.

All pictures below taken Sat. Morning, Mar. 26 2011, Tokyo time, about 9:30 AM - noon, in the Shinjuku and Shibuya areas of Tokyo.

For proof: In Shinjuku; Today's Nihon Keizai Shinbun newspaper, date circiled (3/26/2011) and "ATS" inscribed in black and red ink. This is the general format I will use to "prove" I am where I say I am in the days ahead.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/780a145277dd.jpg[/atsimg]

Shinjuku from up high:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da7949c44da7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf936478bda4.jpg[/atsimg]

Watch this road in the days ahead for signs of mass egress or panic, military lockdown/egress restriction, etc.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59c7276b4c4b.jpg[/atsimg]

Shuttered shops, Shinjuku
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1275e3721c6.jpg[/atsimg]

The Denryokukan, a TEPCO showpiece in Shibuya, closed.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/051444d94f05.jpg[/atsimg]

A well-stocked drugstore, Shinjuku
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba7e2bd52fe3.jpg[/atsimg]

Shinjuku, central east exit. Note the Studio Alta videoboard remains turned off. It seems to come on from time to time.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e3984c02c06.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 3/26/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
And I posted this one on Mar 27:

A few more random images from yesterday, all taken by me personally. You’ll just have to take my word for it without the newspaper.

Aerial shot of Shinjuku Junction, affectionately known within my skull as “The B***h.” The fact that it could unseat my ex-wife as the referent for that particular term, even if only for a short time, is testament to the lurid dread this particular intersection evokes in me. When I drift into brief, fitful sleep, my nightmares feature not the horrors of radiation, but all the possible horrors that have the potential to unfold at this junction.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2bec0360772e.jpg[/atsimg]

Representatives of various Japanese celebrities (comedians, maybe some musicians, etc.) at a disaster relief fundraising event yesterday in Shibuya.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67a36f9acf71.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a750ca3683bb.jpg[/atsimg]

The next sequence of photos was from a strange little incident that probably meant nothing at all, but captured my attention nonetheless. In Yoyogi Park between Shibuya and Shinjuku. It was disorienting because the woman in the kimono appeared to be performing an elegant, traditional dance of some kind (although really throwing herself into it with a kind of Dionysian abandon), yet the backup music was slow, dolorous bongo beats and a “jam-band” like acoustic groove from the guy with the guitar:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0daccda1e6c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dea4074a0309.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f957221a62b2.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cef8177c36a2.jpg[/atsimg]

…but the police patrol seems to take a dimmer view of the festivities…

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d11c86ae5d5f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
And last for now, posted Mar. 28:

Report from Tokyo
March 28, 2011

RADIATION: Third-party sources have been augmented by additional sources, which is a positive development. The fact that the readings were in close agreement with each other is also heartening. All readings for central Tokyo today were in the low-normal range throughout the day. Most recent third-party reading from several hours ago: 0.17 µSv/h .
Personal health: Earlier nausea abated. I am feeling fine and strong; examination by physician confirmed general good health. No further symptoms that could be construed as representing radiation poisoning have been noted.

Weather: Clear, 11 degrees C, S wind 4 m/s, 43% humidity; chance of showers tomorrow. (That'll be innerestin').

Transportation: Improved traffic conditions all around. The roads were beautifully, gorgeously clear and the volume of traffic appeared robust and unhindered. It was a magnificent thing to behold, at least to me; the system appears to be able to handle increasingly normal flows without fraying or snapping. It is important not to extrapolate trends in a straight line, however. We are not out of the woods yet by any means.

Pedestrian flow: Up powerfully in the business district. There is far more hustle and bustle there than there has been since the quake. It's Monday of the third week since the quake; I'm guessing immediately after the event, a bunch of salarymen called in two-week holidays and now they are cautiously returning. The presence of more suits gives the city a more robust and confident feel, especally in the business areas, where things have been feeling a bit post-apocalyptic as of late (with good freaking reason I might add).

Military/Paramilitary presence/activity in city: Light/normal. Police presence and activity remains elevated. Far-right Uyoku Dantai and "893" groups have stepped up activity in general, it appears. "893" activity is particularly pronounced in the stricken areas; its harder to get a bead on what's going on in Tokyo in that respect. Am curious about "893" involvement with basic commodity flows, etc., if any.

Food/basic supplies: The situation seems to have eased somewhat over the last few days. I have not been checking the grocery and convenience stores over the last few days but my impression is that acute shortages have slackened somewhat. However, I think the situation is still precarious and another bit of strong bad news could easily tip the city over into another "systolic contraction" of hoarding.

Commerce: A large number of stores remain shuttered or empty. However, there was a strong burst of office-work activity today, as noted above. So I get the feeling (again, subjective) that business will step up in some ways, but the "little guy" remains down for the count. I imagine a lot of the smaller shops and businesses may never re-open, which is sad because I believe numerous small enterprises is the sign of a robust economy, and the cornerstone of a very distinctively "Asian" microeconomic framework.

Other: In general, the mood is up today in the city for sure. The radiation readings were low, the traffic flow is normal, there are no signs of panic or even mass unease whatsoever in Tokyo. God bless the Japanese. Yet don't kid yourself -- I most certainly do see signs of society-wide stress, and I think a very unhealthy mental state is thick in the air, as I've noted before. I am concerned about what prolonged shock might do to the society. The sitation is far from "normal," and it is amazing how quickly one can get used to the "new normal," whatever that happens to be. My friends with independent minds and strong selves: Fight this tendency relentlessly in yourself if you ever find yourself in mass crisis.
For me personally, today was more or less a day of waiting around; not much happened with me in a physical sense. However, I got to catch up on a lot of important reading today. the information flow was rich and hearty, and the news generally highly positive in all respects. But let's not get carried away. This is a good first sign, but anything moderately difficult could blow the woozy, tentative balance off course fast.

All pictures below taken Mar. 28 2011, Tokyo time, in Roppongi area of Tokyo.

Roppongi crossing, similar angle to a shot I took in one of the earlier threads. Note the stronger salaryman presence and the more abundant traffic flow, both on foot and behind the wheel
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28aaa5dc5209.jpg[/atsimg]

Police activity remains elevated. This is a contingent outside the Russian embassy, photographed this afternoon. Watching the Russian Embassy provides a good "quick and dirty" gauge of police sentiment in Central Tokyo for a complex set of reasons I won't go into. By the highly elevated police activity around the area, I can tell the police are still feeling nervous as all get out -- and with good reason, IMHO.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c13e59683a7.jpg[/atsimg]

Saw this "mini" police vehicle on the road in Roppongi this afternoon. I've never seen one of these before; I wonder how new it is (post quake?) The Japanese reads (literally) "Minato Ward: Everybody's Patrol." (Minato ward is the subsection of the city that contains Roppongi)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/070c94c02fd6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Dear S.T. Thank You very much for taking the time and trouble of reposting your updates in this thread. It is good to hear that the radiation level is low in tokyo. The latest news says that plutonium has leaked into the soil.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
Take care as it looks like they are losing the battle to contain it.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Thank You again for taking the photos and posting them here.Those are pretty nice and meaningful pictures.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What a wonderful thread. I was trying to catch up, so actually, I used the drop down box on your avy, and read only your posts.
What a journey, ST. Such an adventure, and I trust you know when to end it.

PS.

RUN FORREST! RUN!
edit on 3/29/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

silent thunder, thanks for sharing your pics and perspective over there, I am glad you came back on here,I figured you needed a little time. Something of this magnitude is very upsetting, good to see you back on here

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join