It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+71 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

It's a universal truth that dogs are man's best friend, but they're pretty darn loyal to their own as well. Case in point: this tear-inducing video, via the website Jezebel, showing a dog, shivering and disoriented, remaining loyally by the side of a stricken fellow canine amid the devastation of the Japanese tsunami.

The video is a stark reminder that, as was the case when Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast in 2005, there will likely be thousands of pets orphaned or involuntarily abandoned due to the catastrophe in Japan. If you'd like to help efforts to help these animals, you can find info on doing so here.

UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town.

Here is an English translation of the voiceover exchange between the two reporters in the clip (translation courtesy of Toshiyuki Kitamura):

"We are in Arahama area. Looks like there is a dog. There is a dog. He looks tired and dirty. He must have been caught in the tsunami. He looks very dirty.

He has a collar. He must be someone's pet. He has a silver collar. He is shaking. He seems very afraid.

Oh, there is another dog. I wonder if he is dead.

Where?

Right there. There is another dog right next to the one sitting down. He is not moving. I wonder. I wonder if he is alright.

The dog is protecting him.

Yes. He is protecting the dog. That is why he did not want us to approach them. He was trying to keep us at bay.

I can't watch this. This is a very difficult to watch.

Oh. Look. He is moving. He is alive. I am so happy to see that he is alive.

Yes! Yes! He is alive.

He looks to be weakened. We need to them to be rescued soon. We really want them rescued soon.

Oh good. He's getting up.

It is amazing how they survived the tremendous earthquake and tsunami. It's just amazing that they survived through this all."

Source

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How incredible and awful at the same time....

Animals can demonstrate more compassion than humans sometimes, we should all take a lesson from this dog.

Great find OP.
S&F

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The video and the story is self explanatory.

After so much damage and carnage and so many horrific stories being told out of the disaster in Japan, I wanted to take a moment to share this video as a display of hope and kindness and loyalty to others.

Dogs are such amazing and intelligent creatures, it doesn't suprise me that after all of the hell this animal has been through, he still finds the need to defend his ailing friend to the last.

I think we humans could learn a thing or two.

Anyway, here is a little something to uplift the spirit

edit on 3/16/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Seems dogs are more human than about 75% of the people....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Animals are awesome. And they absolutely feel loyalty and grief and concern for their friends.

My cat lost 5lbs after my other cat (and his best bud) died of kidney failure.

That was last February and he has almost gained all the weight back, but he still sleeps in his best friends bed every single day for at least a little while.

There was also a great video on the net a while back of a dog pulling another dog that had been hit by a car out of the street in Brazil? I forget the country.

But people who act like animals dont have intelligence or compassion or feelings are crazy.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Wow it seemed more like the first dog was thinking the people were there to help. His body language seemed almost relieved. In a way that video was very much a reflection on how the Japanese people are right now. Battered and hurt but there for each other.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Good video .. actually not that sad for once
the dogs were terrified but they are real survivors
one protecting the other dog wounded or sick
some humans dont even have that intelligence :S

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm sure that there are other animals that have survived and need help as well. Such a sad yet hopeful video. I'm glad that these two were rescued and are being cared for.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Wow it seemed more like the first dog was thinking the people were there to help. His body language seemed almost relieved. In a way that video was very much a reflection on how the Japanese people are right now. Battered and hurt but there for each other.

I agree, and great observation about the Japanese people.

It seemed to me like the first dog was running to and from trying to say "finally somebody please help" like he wanted them to come and see to his friend.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'm sad, happy, mad and glad.

Dogs I can trust...people not so much. If this were a human, he would probably get an award but for the dog to do this, was no extraordinary thing. It's just natural.

edit on 16-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

So glad they were rescued and the people that did are also heroes in my book.
edit on 16-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I hope those camera men rescue those poor dogs and find them a new home! If it were me, I would have fashioned a stretcher to carry the weak one, and taken them away to safety. That little guy really looked like he needed help.

He even barked a little - like "WTF!? Why aren't you guys helping?".

UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town.

YEAH!!!!!!! They are saved!!!

edit on 16-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I'd be lying if I said that watching that video didn't bring tears to my eyes. I can't imagine surviving that kind of devastation and it is not like the dogs understand it like we do in regards to what happened. It's a sobering thought realizing that most of Japan is looking for loved ones lost.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Great video, thanks for posting. I hope there's a follow up soon that they've been taken into shelter or at least given clean water - which might be too much too ask for given the situation there. These two may have shared the same owner, we can only hope they are alright.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
How incredible and awful at the same time....

Animals can demonstrate more compassion than humans sometimes, we should all take a lesson from this dog.

Great find OP.
S&F

~Namaste

I couldn't agree more!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
l saw this video yesterday, couldn't understand what they were saying and so l didn't know if they took care of the animals. lt kind of haunted me that strong l even dreamt of those two dogs, lol, not kidding.

Glad to know they are rescued and okay now. Thanks for posting, star and flag for rescuing my dreams, lol.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I was blown away by how when the hurt dog raised it's head as if it was going to get up the dog standing watch put it's front leg over it as it to say "stay still, don't get up...I'm here and everything is going to be okay."

It was a very touching video.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yes it was very touching and made me all misty eyed. I hadn't given a thought to any pets that have been killed in this tragic event. Poor darlings

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Simply amazing.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I was blown away by how when the hurt dog raised it's head as if it was going to get up the dog standing watch put it's front leg over it as it to say "stay still, don't get up...I'm here and everything is going to be okay."

It was a very touching video.

Ugh, thanks for that! I was already teary eyed watching the video...and SO touched when the one dog put his paw on/over the other dog's head..and now your interpretation just has me weepy again
Especially since the more seriously hurt dog looks just like my yellow lab

Dogs are awesome...there is nothing, NOTHING on earth that can equal their love and loyalty. I have 3 dogs and if it wasn't against the bylaw in my city, I'd have a houseful! I am so happy they were eventually rescued

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

You took the words right out of my mouth! That is exactly what I saw. Such compassion and caring from that dog. I just wish they could be in the same place now. To separate them at this point, seems cruel. I do hope someone instigates a reunion when possible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join