It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh no, Yellowstone May have been awakened by the 8.8

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by rogerstigers

I accept USGS -- when they finally get around to reviewing the data -- as corroborating evidence.

LOL okay.

The OP appeared almost 3 hours ago.

No mention of Yellowstone on the news, on twitter, on USGS, or anywhere else.

What is this "GEE" crap? I guess you think USGS isn't up to date?

Also to reiterate that TA and Puterman have agreed that the rumblings, if any, are minor. The stuff that TA was panicing on when he started this thread turned out to be echos.

So, long story short -- it's not on USGS because it turned out to be nothing.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by juggalo77

Well, underneath its a huge underground volcano..if it erupts..its the largest in eh,, perhaps history
Put 10 A-bombs and blow it of at yellowstone,and you perhaps have the same result
=

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

So how should we do this----should the rest of us just point and laugh at you, or shall we continue to engage you so you can give us great material on signs of trolling? Your choice.

LOL that's funny. Go ahead and show me the proof. Who's trolling the troll?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

reply to post by xkillbox5000x

Thank you. That's what I and others have been asking. If it's a mistake that's ok.

well the data is on GEE, however, the way the op read the data was not quite right.
it appears if you know what you're looking at, it can be determined if the data is local or distant. sometimes, distant data can appear as local data due to .......is it S waves?
there's also the possiblity of an animal interfering with the device, strong wind, workers cleaning it, someone tinkering with it, etc. but those can usually be detected based on the way the signal data appears on the graph.

not sure how they can tell the difference between local and distant, but i find it pretty interesting.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

LOL, it's just hilariously cute how you're either totally incapable of understanding what you read, or have so obviously only read the first page of this thread.

Buh bye.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Only time will tell.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Student X

Yellowstone is showing serious seismic activity now, and it appears to be originating from the park.

The OP has not provided ANY proof of this.

I guess you have not been happy with what appears to be a lack of information from TA.

Please permit me to try and explain.

TA saw signatures on GEE which looked as if they might be local earthquakes in Yellowstone Park. Despite the description that has been posted of as GEE being an education outreach tool that does not really do it justice. This program takes data direct from the IRIS BUD Data centre which is basically a (the) world repository for earthquake waveform files. This same information is accessed by various scientific programs amongst which are JWEED and VASE which I use. As near as possible the data being sent is real-time - there may be only a few seconds delay.

Because it is so quick it is very possible for someone watching it to know that an earthquake has happened as much as five minutes before any information is posted on the web. You can see therefore that it would be possible, and indeed it often happens, that we post earthquakes before the USGS!

Now the reverse side of that is that whilst quakes cannot be hidden, downgraded or deleted, it is also possible to be mistaken about the exact signature that is in view, especially when a large quake like the one in Japan has gone off. I believe that rolled round the world at least 4 times from what I could see on the data from VASE.

The fact that TA posted GEE waveforms is the documentation, but it is documentation that is open to interpretation. That was his proof. Don't forget that TA was not claiming that it had set Yellowstone off, just that there were seismic signatures that he saw that in his (honest) opinion were local to Yellowstone.

TA, westcoast and a few others are avid GEE watchers and believe me they can spot an earthquake and tell you the magnitude pretty accurately most of the time.

I am not a GEE watcher. My 'role' in the team comes later at the analysis stage when I listen to the earthquake waveforms, and run spectrograms for them, or lately Fourier transforms to identify harmonic tremor.

There are many 'signatures' that can look like HT or earthquakes that in fact are not, and it is not until the analysis stage that this becomes apparent. Yes there have been many occasions that I have reported back that nothing is amiss when a strange looking waveform has appeared.

I would ask you not to be too hard on TA. His original supposition was reasonable, and yes I agree he got a bit over excited about it!

I can assure you however that no one who frequents the fragile earth quake watch and volcano watch forums is of the mind to post rubbish, or certainly not by intent.

edit on 11/3/2011 by PuterMan because: missing words, bad spelling - the usual stuff!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is from GEE

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a90d64740dfd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I would ask you not to be too hard on TA. His original supposition was reasonable, and yes I agree he got a bit over excited about it!

I am not being too hard on TA. What I am being hard on is the fact that so many people have flagged this without questioning. When people question the OP, few people, including TA himself, become very defensive. Why is that? You can see that on the first and second pages.

ATS is a place to question and discuss. If people make mistakes, so what? That's our human nature. But why become very defensive?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Puterman, Westcoast, and TA.

Please keep up the great work, I have been reading your comments for a few months now, and am learning a great deal.
Many thanks to the three of you.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Yeah...we're toast...
"Waves from the Earthquake have been ringing the planet like bell, causing stress in all sections of the planet", Martin said."
www.theweatherspace.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

yep. now use the zoom tool to zoom into wyoming and then use the cursor tool to select one of the yellowstone stations. then the real time viewer tab
edit on 11-3-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

refresh my memory, what's it mean again when BHE and BHN are mirror opposites of each other? is that
interference from a source nearby, like an animal or what have you or is it the S wave thing?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I am not being too hard on TA. What I am being hard on is the fact that so many people have flagged this without questioning.

'Tis the way of ATS. The purpose of a flag is NOT to say that the subject matter is correct but is to raise awareness of the the thread to the membership.

If it was about the content of the thread then you would also have to question why so many UFO and Niburu threads get so many flags.

There is of course no reason why they should not. It is to raise awareness as I said and NOT to say this thread is true and correct and is the gospel truth. Were that to be the case there would be many fewer flags on ATS

When people question the OP, few people, including TA himself, become very defensive. Why is that? You can see that on the first and second pages.

I guess because he and others thought they could see something that others could not and were concerned. Bearing in mind that he had posted such 'proof' as there was then it was probably not unreasonable to get a little annoyed at people asking for proof.

ATS is a place to question and discuss. If people make mistakes, so what? That's our human nature. But why become very defensive?

Being defensive is also our human nature! As is being persistent!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Being defensive is also our human nature! As is being persistent!

LOL okay. I guess I was being very concerned ever since this crap in Japan happened because I live close to New Madrid fault. I've been through few earthquakes before.

I just figured this GEE program out.

I selected one of the stations in Yellowstone and I am seeing the graph.

link   
reply to post by undo

Generally that would occur when the ground movement is, for example, all North and West, or all South and East, in other words the + side is North or East and the - side is South or West. For the time a ground movement was + on the North side and - on the East side then as I said at that point the movement would be North and West, or probably North West! If that happened then you might reasonably expect the rebound to be South and East or South East and so you would see a mirror trace.

link   
reply to post by undo

yep. now use the zoom tool to zoom into wyoming and then use the cursor tool to select one of the yellowstone stations. then the real time viewer tab

Yeah got it. Thanks

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

thanks!
so it's movement of the ground? currently the real time viewer is indicating the ground at yellowstone is moving north west (?) with an amplitude of 1.60 max.

what's the amp measure in this case?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

No probs. Enjoy GEE. It can seem to be a bit scary so try not to over react and remember that as the strength of the wave decreases GEE compensates and makes it appear larger.

To learn about seismograms you might find some useful stuff here

qvsdata.wordpress.com...

You have but to ask on Quake Watch and I am sure you will get answers.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I am going to have say that you would get a better answer about that from TA. Why not send him a u2u.

As I said I am not a GEE watcher so I don't know all it's parts!

Basically I believe 1.6 is not very strong but no doubt someone else will tell you.

Sorry forgot to answer the ground bit.

Yes on all seismograms what is being measured is the movement of the ground. If the movement of the arm is 4mm then basically the ground moved 4mm. That is very simplistic but that is about the score. Even in the heart of America the Japanese earthquake actually moved the ground. You won't feel it as it is too slow but the instrument records it.

The link I gave above has an link to the Oklahoma Geological Surevey report on the 1999 Turkey earthquake. I believe it is that one that explains this.

It might seem that if the earth's surface in Oklahoma moved up and down four
millimeters, that buildings would be damaged. There would be damage if the
movement was rapid. However, the movement was like slowly lifting the earth
over a minute or so, then lowering it as slowly. Such slow motion will not
effect anything but the detection sensor of a very broadband seismometer.

Source: 1999 AUG17, Turkey Earthquake

edit on 11/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join