It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 184
<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

If something like what you are describing had occurred, the entire coastline would have sheared off and bent underneath. Clearly this did not happen.

I'm no geological expert by any means but I believe the shift can be explained more by the edge of the plate that Japan is on was pushed diagonally upward and westward by the Pacific plate as it pushed it's way underneath. This is just a guess really, but doesn't involve the plate bending over on itself like you suggest.

link   
thousands of survivors are cut off from aid and medical care man this is so sad , they are finially talking about the survivors, yesterday they said nothing. , they commented that the radiation makes for a dire
situation .................. well you think ??? these reporters are so dumb sometimes

link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by sweetpeanc

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Agency still rates Fukushima incident at 4 on scale of 1 to 7

3 Miles Island was a 3.

Nope, TMI was a 5.

en.wikipedia.org...

Nuclear agency says 3 Mile Island was rated a 3 on INES scale, and Chernobyl was rated 7

live.reuters.com...

not saying they are correct, just showing where i got the number
edit on 12-3-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

Not to continue the nuke talk here, but that's an error. Here's a publication by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which made the scale. TMI was a 5.

www.iaea.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted or not.

11/09/01

11/03/11

add them up you get

22/12/12

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetpeanc

Thanks for the link, like I said, i was simply quoting from reuters.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobrules
Not sure if this has been posted or not.

11/09/01

11/03/11

add them up you get

22/12/12
well the grand plan with the calender was a day off lol

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
fox news reporting that concerns of meltdown intensify as hundreads of aftershocks shake the area

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
and that there are survivors that are unable to get rescued because
they are in the area that has been off limits from the radiation! my god
cant they just get on suits or helicopters they are just leaving them there ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

# 1958: More on power supply problems: Tokyo Electric Power Company, one of Japan's major suppliers, has suggested it could carry out intentional power outages on a rotating basis to tackle the problem, Kyodo reports

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

USGS maps and my own interpretation of what's going on seismically. Aside from the Eastern Coast which is still suffering from rebounds and aftershocks from the 8.9, the Western Coast STILL hasn't had a large magnitude quake between the 6.6/6.2 in sequence to the movement of the plate. And remember were only talking a swathe of 200 miles South-North, dropping 2 meters. Inland there may be cracks but not gaping chasms like something out of 2012, infact I doubt itd be even noticeable except along the low-lying areas which are now under the Ocean.
edit on 12-3-2011 by RUDDD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
20.05 gmt live BBC News 24 (uk) tv presenter japan another tsunami as aftershocks on ways at height of 2metres.

Elf

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

umm mlb has deep pockets and if there gonan come help out hey why yell at them at least there offering how u think they get all those baseballs? the money they charge us to go to there games has made them very wealthy so yeah im glad to hear there giving a hand!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
fox news reporter just said the japan goverment is downplaying the radiation because they want the rescue teams to get in there to get their people

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
fox news reporter just said the japan goverment is downplaying the radiation because they want the rescue teams to get in there to get their people

Japan has a long and noted history of downplaying their nuclear events.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

OMFG. Wow.

One thing to understand about the Japanese culture is the importance placed on "saving face" and honor. Honor is of the utmost importance. Many times, Japanese baseball games will end in ties because it's more honorable to allow your opponent to save face and not be humiliated. That may be at play here.

Please don't take this as racist or bigoted; I've studied Japanese culture quite a lot and have huge respect for it. It's just a cultural element that can be both wonderful and damaging.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

It was called a joke.

Anyway, when these things happen the first people you think of to be offering respone isn't the baseball league.

I wasn't meaning to offend.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

that is so sad . wth so the people going in our people are getting exposed to rescue the people who are already exposed and they are
not taking the precautions because they are downplaying the radiation
hopefully they have a way of detecting the radiation and will wear protective gear.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I agree. I've been going through old news stories of previous nuclear accidents in Japan.

It seems this incident is being treated no different than the others. And it is much worse.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There has been plenty of warning since january the 9thwww.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Make up your own mind.
edit on 12-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Outside of saving face in Japan, there is another aspect at play here: that is the future of nuclear energy as we know it. A incident like this is extremely damaging to those that want nuclear power to be more widespread. You can GUARANTEE there is pressure from the nuclear community to downplay this.

top topics

<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join