It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs? Who needs jobs? Certainly not the US.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
online.wsj.com...

U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk on Monday appealed to congressional leaders to begin work "without delay" toward ratifying a free-trade deal with South Korea, even as Republican leaders continued to press to link such action with movement on trade pacts with Colombia and Panama.

In a letter sent Monday to leaders of the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance committees, Mr. Kirk asked Congress to begin a process that would lead to a vote on the Korea pact this ...

Why in the heck do I have to turn to a left-wing website to get the facts about our government's horrible trade policies?

fdlaction.firedoglake.com...

President Obama’s NAFTA-style Korea Free Trade will still cost the country 159,000 jobs, despite last-minute changes to the agreement.

The policy institute EPI reported in July that the proposed NAFTA-style Korea Free Trade agreement would mean 159,000 jobs lost due to a $13.9 billion trade deficit.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77ba16d05a3d.png[/atsimg]

We already sent all our jobs to China, Japan, Viet Nam, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Philippines, and Mexico, why not just solidify the deal? Put the damn nails on our coffin in throw is in the ground already! WTF are you waiting for?! Oh you like to see us struggle don’t you? Gives you some sick thrill!

How about instead of sending our god *snip* jobs to Asia we start making jobs and goods here again?! Or would that be too much to ask of our government, seeing as how this country has already been used up and we are nothing more than debt burdened consumers who they can get to purchase cheap Chinese crap and build up their economy while taking away our manufacturing and agricultural base.

Sure they like to argue “we created jobs with free-trade”, really they did but the jobs WERE WORKING CASH REGISTERS AT WAL-MART!

Apologies for my strong words but I am extremely angry as we all should be.
edit on 3/10/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The push behind this is, as usual, corporations in the US that are salivating at getting ahold of a number of very cheaply produced textiles, electronics, and other goods from Korea that are currently under ban by existing trade and import restrictions. For the most part, these are products already made there and not necessarily products currently made in the US - although trade restrictions do limit the volume of goods that compete with US made goods.

For instance, electronics made in Asia, based on the type of electronics (camera, DVD players) the US only allows so much of a specific type of item to be imported per cycle, and once that volume has been reached, that item is then restricted, until the next cycle. This keeps the US and it's manufacturer's from being completely overwhelmed by cheaply produced Asian goods. "Free trade" seeks to constantly remove these restrictions and allow more of these goods to pour into the US. The end result being fewer US manufacturer's being able to compete and going out of business. The globalists however don't care, since they'll simply use the Asian manufacturer's to make their previously US-made goods.

Powerful corporate interests are pushing this agenda, they'll profit from this of course but it will destroy the job base in this country even further.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
My buddy back East told me the GOP is ready to go on new free trade deals, after they hit public education, they will push a New South east Asian deal and help defund USITC
edit on 10-3-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

How about instead of sending our god *snip* jobs to Asia we start making jobs and goods here again?! Or would that be too much to ask of our government, seeing as how this country has already been used up and we are nothing more than debt burdened consumers who they can get to purchase cheap Chinese crap and build up their economy while taking away our manufacturing and agricultural base.

Sure they like to argue “we created jobs with free-trade”, really they did but the jobs WERE WORKING CASH REGISTERS AT WAL-MART!

Ah yes, the venerable "free trade and open borders create more jobs than they destroy" lie. An old distortion of mangled Ricardian economics that common sense should have long since put to rest. One of the slimier lies ever created by humanity, right up there with "this is a safe time of the month for me, honest" and "deficits don't matter."

edit on 3/10/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

So they are planning on expanding global corporate free-trade, destroying hundreds of thousands of US jobs, and then top it off with defunding the only federal agency which watches for unfair trade policies.

Okay I read all I need to know.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by Janky Red

So they are planning on expanding global corporate free-trade, destroying hundreds of thousands of US jobs, and then top it off with defunding the only federal agency which watches for unfair trade policies.

Okay I read all I need to know.

Its the great push, watch for defending or underfunding agencies which will make the agencies look extra inept,
which will then be used as a reason to disband the agency. Then it will be one by one down the line...

IT is a great way to ensure failure, don't cha think

This is exactly how they (not just GOP) set up the markets for 2008 - I am not sure what they are setting up now,
might be a decade away or more, I'll tell you, next time you see "prosperity", invest HEAVY and get out, you'll be rich, if the dollar survives... the pro business mantra in these echelons is a guise to set up the stage for a party, our notion of business is SO very innocent. There is no longer an incentive for the individuals managing a large firm to worry about the outcome of risky behavior, none, we are past those days. Now days you can set up your position to fail
and bet against it AND get paid for both efforts. But with the tongue there is not will or reason to distinguish or examine the new paradigm,,, these time bombs are invited in under the auspices of FREEDOM, there is no
way to combat it. You are business, you are good... there is no room for distinction

YOU ARE WITH US OR AGAINST US!

the goal of life is to concur life

- I bet that sounds nice to some people, go get em tiger!!!

Even if we find the impostors, whats wrong with them trying to "succeed"???

edit on 10-3-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join