It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital forces family to watch their mother starve to death.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by SunnyDee
It is awful, but how long do you keep someone on a feeding tube that would not live without it? We do not allow assisted suicide, so this was the answer.

If It were my mother, I would ask nicely for the doc to give me mum a little extra pain medication, and I hope they would ablige me.

People die.

Chances are it wouldn't be your Mum, if I am right that you're not an American *... This is not suicide, it's murder, there is no evidence that the woman wants to die. From what I have read here on ATS, the American system is all about making money, not about practising medicine.
Vicky
* Though you may well be an Ozzie or a Kiwi in the USA

Born, raised and living in California. Me mum was a Canadian. Maybe in these kinds of instances, there should be another term, I don't think this is murder, so much as a delayed natural death. It's not what anyone would want for their loved one, but I have yet to meet anyone alive that would want to live like that, on a feeding tube, brain-dead-if that is the case.

edit on 8-3-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Repeat of Terry Schaivo.

Lets see if the usual suspects are on their usual sides of the "issue" at hand.
edit on 8-3-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah, forgot about that story.

I don't think it will get as much tv time, warring Libya and all.....

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Repeat of Terry Schaivo.

Lets see if the usual suspects are on their usual sides of the "issue" at hand.
edit on 8-3-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

The difference here is; a hospital got itself awarded power of attourney over this woman's life, whereas in the Shaivo case, at least it was her husband claiming to work in her best interest.

It really makes you wonder how a judge could rule that a hospital had this woman's best interest at heart over her own family. This is just another case of the corporations running our "justice system" instead of the courts using common sense principals to make their rulings.

In today's "justice system" the one with the best paid lawyer usually wins.

edit on 3/8/11 by FortAnthem because: Oops, wrong smiley. Didn't want to be smiling about the best paid lawyer thingy. :bnghd:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Born, raised and living in California. Me mum was a Canadian. Maybe in these kinds of instances, there should be another term, I don't think this is murder, so much as a delayed natural death. It's not what anyone would want for their loved one, but I have yet to meet anyone alive that would want to live like that, on a feeding tube, brain-dead-if that is the case.

edit on 8-3-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

I still disagree, and think that it amounts to murder (because it's taking place against the will of the family, though the patient's views are not known.)
The problem is that we don't actually know if she is brain-dead! If she is, she doesn't care - but her family do. Aside from the money issue, another problem is that medical personnel want to cure their patients, and if they can't, they get a bit emotional about it, and would rather be rid of those they can't help...so the problem with her condition isn't necessarily hers (she may not actually know anything about it!) but theirs.
Recent research showed that people with 'Locked-in syndrome actually have rich and contented lives, even though those lives would seem intolerable to we who are able-bodied.
Vicky

top topics

<< 1   >>

join