It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer AH-64 Apache

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

You are saying not to go to war with a country that brandishes the Apache, I would disagree.

So be it- but I must warn you the Apache does not stand alone it comes with legions well before, and after it has delivered.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Here is a film of the apache being shot down by small arms fire........one of many found by searching shot down apache in google

Hardly indestrucatable is it.........

www.liveleak.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 23-3-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

And here is a rather disparaging article on the apaches effectiveness, "more dangerous to the crew than the enemy"

www.slate.com...

edit on 23-3-2011 by gambon because: add links

"during the Afghanistan war, seven Apaches were flown in to attack Taliban fighters as part of Operation Anaconda. They all got shot up, again by RPGs and machine-gun fire. None crashed, but five were so damaged they were declared "non-mission-capable"—in other words, unable to go back into combat without extensive repair—after the first day."

"n the 1999 air war over Kosovo, 24 Apache helicopters were transported to the allied base in Albania. Their arrival was anticipated by many officers and analysts as a turning point in the war. Yet, within days, two choppers crashed during training exercises. Commanders decided not to send any of them into battle; the risk of losing them to Serbian surface-to-air missiles was considered too great."

edit on 23-3-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

It's ok for the general public to be ignorant of the Apaches true capability and survivability for obvious tactical reasons.
Here is a teaser for the weary.

Block III includes increasing digitisation, the joint tactical radio system, enhanced engines and drive systems, capability to control UAVs and new composite rotor blade. The new blades, which successfully completed flight testing in May 2004, increase the Apache's cruise speed, climb rate and payload capability. The block III system development and demonstration (SDD) contract was awarded to Boeing in July 2006. First flight of the Apache Block III was in July 2008. The US Army plans to upgrade all its Apache fleet to block III standard.

This of course is what they are willing to talk about.I find that capability to control armed UAV's is just amazing in it self and give the Apache greater capacity to survive,spot,seek and destroy.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

british blades and radio eh , truth is apache designed for pop up attack in forests of germany and no amount of refitting will cure certain design inadequacies,

A far from ignorant member of the public....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

British? Try (SES) is a partner to Boeing in upgrading.
But if you must I prefer British Steel.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
That's a powerful platform but the RAH-66 Comanche is the future in my opinion or was anyway..www.globalsecurity.org...
edit on 3/25/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

Err have a look who invented , researched and develop the high speed blades....hint look at world speed record holding helicoptors, hint , its not an ah64 d

What advantages does the ah have in its current area of operations, that the a10 does not have ?

vtol pretty pointless when you own the airbase

edit on 26-3-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

terpconnect.umd.edu...

grandad of "new " apache blades......
edit on 26-3-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Err have a look who invented , researched and develop the high speed blades..

So what- Ben and Jerry did not invent ice cream.
Boeing has taken composite blade design to new heights.
Thanks anyways for your 80's links.

What advantages does the ah have in its current area of operations, that the a10 does not have ?

I your kidding right?
There are pages on the pro's and con's.Google it.

vtol pretty pointless when you own the airbase

This was well thought out

Apache pilots to command and control Hellfire equipped Sky Warrior unmanned air vehicles. UAV control equipment for Block IIIs. (March 16/11)

Sky Warrior unmanned air vehicle.

AH-64 Apache will remain the USA’s primary attack helicopter for several more decades.Improvements incorporate 25 technology insertions as part of the Army’s future force plan. In 2006, Boeing and U.S. Army officials signed a $619.3 million contract for Block III upgrades.
Seems there could be a use beyond the A-10 after all.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here is new engagement recently released I put them together in one video.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I was hoping you would link to this

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

No but you did!
Thanks man good stuff.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
i absolutely love how the apaches cannon is linked to the pilots head! that is freakin sick.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
A well aimed TV guided missle can take out an apache. Apache is a very very good weapon, but still vulnerable to small arms fire.

My god man there is a counter for every single thing in war and even in normal everyday life this is nothing new. Take away your TV on your TV guided missle and your left with a pissed off fat kid playing Call Of Duty crying like sombody slapped his momma. I think everyone of your replies is about some weapon to counter another weapon. Please enough of the counter weapons already, we already know, counter that....
edit on 28/3/11 by Aliensdoexist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I got the You-Tube double standard.
But they can't censor the internet.
vegasflyboy.com...

edit on 9-4-2011 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

Its not just about counter weapons primary function. These Apaches that are being shot up are via small arms and RPGs. An RPG is an anti-vehicle weapon. The people using them to light up the Apaches are obviously very skilled.

An RPG is not a counter to an apache. It is being used as a counter to the Apache, because they do not have real counters, namely advanced SAM systems and MANPADS.

It takes more skill and tactics to down an apache with a non antiaircraft weapon than it is to take out freedom fighters using the apache. Its the equivalent to taking out an Apache by throwing a shoe at it.
edit on 8-6-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONALJust because a country has an Apache doesn't make that country unstoppable. The Apache can be neutralized by tactics and mobile SAMs. You are saying not to go to war with a country that brandishes the Apache, I would disagree.

You don't fly rotary wing missions into areas with active SAMs or an unknown surface to air threat - they cost too much.

That said any SAMs will be gone the moment they turn on passive or active radar on the first day or two of any conflict by our assets that perform that task. Enemy Air Defense is teh first priority for targeting so that we can fly our air missions with impunity.

The only likely vulnerability is say a force happens to have a few a shoulder launched systems; say a SA7 or something. However, the platform’s onboard countermeasures can most likely defeat most heat seeking missiles.

edit on 8/6/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join