It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Most Plastics Leach Hormone-Like Chemicals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Remember Nalgene water bottles? This isn't just polycarbonate plastic anymore, folks, it could be ALL plastics. Plastics are made from petroleum, so it should not come as a suprise that they could be carcinogens.

Most plastic products, from sippy cups to food wraps, can release chemicals that act like the sex hormone estrogen, according to a study in Environmental Health Perspectives.

The study found these chemicals even in products that didn't contain BPA, a compound in certain plastics that's been widely criticized because it mimics estrogen.

Many plastic products are now marketed as BPA-free, and manufacturers have begun substituting other chemicals whose effects aren't as well known.

But it's still unclear whether people are being harmed by BPA or any other so-called estrogenic chemicals in plastics. Most studies of health effects have been done in mice and rats.

The new study doesn't look at health risks. It simply asks whether common plastic products release estrogen-like chemicals other than BPA.

The testing showed that more than 70 percent of the products released chemicals that acted like estrogen. And that was before they exposed the stuff to real-world conditions: simulated sunlight, dishwashing and microwaving, Bittner says.

Not only are our foods genetically modified, and filled with toxic additives, but they are packaged in toxic packaging, and consumed from potentially toxic containers. If you want to be on the safe side, use metal or ceramic, and avoid plastics.

Click here to read the article.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Check this out, scary stuff indeed.
edit on 6-3-2011 by BrianDamage because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by BrianDamage because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2011 by BrianDamage because: to embed vid

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Those of us who work in the chemical industry usually check the material safety data sheet when we want to know the dangers of a chemical.Try this link www.msds.com... .You can learn allot from these sources.I have used these sheets for years to keep safe.I spent 20 years as a chemical operator. I was out of the industry for 13 years and just recently came back to it.They will tell you all you need.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Hoping many people already know this and that is why you have so few replies. I think if people recognize the incredible number of carcinogen sources around them they will quit wondering why they are dying.
I said in another post...
Supply and demand is killing us. The formula needs to be switched around to demand and then supply.
For example....Potable water.
A manufacturer designs and produces millions of tiny water bottles and people consume them as if it was a good idea. They aren't.
In a demand then supply system, first people demand potable water and also the best delivery method. That is the product that is produced and sold. This way we have both manufacturer and the people winning. (to quote Charlie Buddha Sheen)
Certainly "the people" would have demanded adequate testing and would not accept carcinogens in the material.

In the reverse (the Capitalist system we have) first you have a glut of potable water. People drink it and don't die so they like it and buy it. Later we find out all sorts of scary things about it. If we DEMANDED an item first we could "tailor make" the SUPPLY according to our demands (requirements) from development, to manufacturer, to retailer.

Yup. I think many of our problems as a people, as a country could be solved NOW if we ENDED supply and demand immediately.

Capitalist system benefits only the Capitalist and THE PEOPLE suffer.
Ours should be a people driven = DEMAND AND SUPPLY system
NOT a Capitalist = supply and then demand (for what it is we are already given) system.

top topics

join