It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Should Rule The World- Not Politicians

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

I find your observation brilliant. Religion is based on faith. Scientific theory flies as long as we believe them, until the next theory comes along. No one has ever pointed that out to me before.

The reasons I feel Scientists would not well replace Politicians:

1. The epitome of the lab coat wearing set is the Mad Scientist. We all know several of them from movies, the image is deeply ingrained in societies psyche. Glance at this excerpt from tvropes.org:

"They're scientists, they're somewhat scatterbrained, their practice is questionable, and they are frequently working for the bad guys, often building implausible gadgetry or slightly ridiculous superweapons. They tend to wear lab coats, have either wild hair or total baldness, and speak with fake Central European accents (based on the many scientists who fled Central Europe from the Nazis and the Soviets). Sometimes they will talk like Peter Lorre, or engage in Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness. Often they will possess more than one Morally Ambiguous Doctorate as well as Super Intelligence (sometimes natural, other times due to their own warped experiments)."

2. Scientists scare the heck out of people. Ever seen a picture of the Hadron Collider? We're all gonna die!
)

3. In my years in the working world I met many people who had somehow worked into upper mid management positions. The people skills were truly lacking. And for people who are supposedly intelligent (they did earn college degrees) they were pretty much Idiots Looking For A Village, if you know what I mean.

Replacing politicians is not the answer. Ending politics is. I used Google for a definition of Politics:

"social relations involving intrigue to gain authority or power"

Well that just stinks before its a day old. We are all wearing big people clothes and believe it or not we are capable of making decisions for ourselves. Presidential elections are so far removed from the citizens hands that it is humorless. Our own tax monies are used for us to play a game we never win. Dems & Repubs have nothing over professional wrestling, they are neck-deep in the muck & mire together and they are laughing at us.

We the people should be choosing leaders from amongst whom we know. The people that seek the power spots are the last ones who should have them. Put real people into position, place others there to monitor them, throw in surprise visits from a third party to make sure it really is all legitimate and maybe the corruption won't win.

We can hook-up the last few dozen people in America that aren't already online and we can all participate in weekly votes on a plethora of things. We should be in charge. Not wealthy people looking to get wealthier and keep their wealthy friends wealthy. We should have the power. Those who have lorded the power over us have abused it for far too long. I don't like knowing I'm a slave that is merely spared a whip, a prisoner with the key to a mortgaged and heavily taxed cell. I never met a sober adult who thought war is a good idea.

This country is beyond broke yet the war dollars keep right on flowing. You don't want that, I don't want that, the people across the street don't like it either. But we are being forced to pay every penny while our mis-guided youth come home in body bags. These kids want to help others only they learn horrible truths. Like generations before us, we will have veterans coast to coast that will never forget what they seen and learned.

We have lived with accepting crooked politicians for so long that we accept it as 'just the way it is'. That is unacceptable. If our government won't change, it is time to change our government.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
There is not one occupation (like "scientist") that you can say could all make good leaders. Every occupation has people who are leaders and people who are followers. Science is not an exception.

Obviously. But I am saying we'd have a lot better luck choosing them from a scientific pool rather than from a political pool. Political Science for real.

I think the pool that politicians come from is more varied today than if we only choose "scientists". Right now, politicians come from various walks of life and various occupations. I don't think you will be more likely to get a good world leader out of the "scientist pool", plus I think you are denying the possibility for good world leaders to come from elsewhere.

I mean, do you really think it's wise to limit the "life experiences" pool for our world leaders to a single group? Maybe I'm only thinking of the U.S. as my frame of reference, because U.S. senators and congressmen are often NOT the types that were life-long politicians -- many of them had other careers before joining congress. Perhaps other countries have a greater number of "life-long" politicians their parliaments/ruling bodies?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Power can corrupt even the most innocent individual.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Have you ever seen the movie 12 monkeys? That's a great example of a world ruled by scientists!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join