It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25,000 Protest in North Cyprus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Article

NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) -- Tens of thousands of Turkish Cypriots joined in a peaceful protest Wednesday in divided Cyprus' breakaway north against an austerity package they say Turkey has unfairly foisted on them.

Organizers resent deep private and state sector salary cuts, which were announced last year, following negotiations between the Turkish Cypriot leadership and the government in Turkey.

Turkish Cypriot trade unions have vowed to fight the austerity package, which includes rolling back entry level salaries by 40 percent, taxing pensions and cutting the taxable income threshold from 17 to 10 percent. Union leaders said the package also foresees selling off state enterprises to private Turkish business interests.

If I understand this correctly, these people are against the Turkish government interfering with their own country. I cant really find much about this yet but Ill keep my eye open for more information.

Heres another article I found about this. Link

More than 25,000 protesters, angry about what they believe are efforts by Turkey to exert more control over the isolated statelet, gathered at Inonu Square inside ancient Venetian walls in the city’s northern Turkish section in what is believed to be one of the largest demonstrations ever in North Cyprus.

I dont really know much about the situation over there, so if anyone has any more information, keep us updated.

edit on 2-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I found a few other articles that have higher numbers.

This article says the numbers are some 30,000 protesters. Article

NICOSIA, Cyprus - Some 30,000 Turkish Cypriots joined in a peaceful protest Wednesday in divided Cyprus' breakaway north against an austerity package they say Turkey has unfairly foisted on them.

And this article says the protesters numbers are around 50,000 Article

Some 50,000 demonstrators turn out in occupied Nicosia to protest cuts 'imposed' by Ankara

join