It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object On Collision Course With Earth Sept 2012?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hello All.
I was looking at JPL's Small Body Database Browser, and someone showed me this. The charted course for the "object" 2000 PN9. Or 23187 on the browser. When I put in the date September 28, 2012, it showed a collision course and direct hit.

This object is supposed to be coming very close within the next couple weeks too. That is why I began looking in the first place.
I do not know about these things and am hoping to get some informed opinions.
Thanks.
Here's the link.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Actually, it looks like a collision takes place within the next few hours.

OOOOps, actually, it gets real close on the 8th. Can anyone see this object.
SnF
edit on 1-3-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If you use the slide on the right it is way above the plane of Earth orbit on Sept. 28th 2012. You are looking at it from the top. You need to move the slider so you can see the orbit of the object.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I don't think that's going to happen

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c45cc77ef923.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by turk182

The plot states that the distance form the Earth to the object is 2.39AU or 2.39 times the mean distance from the Earth to the Sun. That's a mighty big miss.

Use the zoom and pan to see that this is not a hit or even close.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by turk182

Did you rotate the image around to compensate for parallax? I did. The object is nowhere near us on that date. Sorry.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/655a70823596.jpg[/atsimg]
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 3/1/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: source

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

You're right! It comes pretty darn close!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9bb21cae5e52.gif[/atsimg]

Man could you imagine everyone's here hyping over 2012, Elenin etc. being totally oblivious to the fact that we're gonna die in a couple of hours

edit on 1-3-2011 by uncuuncu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Greetings Everyone:

Actually it is at its closest on 11MAR11 at .117 AU.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

trinity369

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncuuncu
reply to post by Violater1

You're right! It comes pretty darn close!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9bb21cae5e52.gif[/atsimg]

Man could you imagine everyone's here hyping over 2012, Elenin etc. being totally oblivious to the fact that we're gonna die in a couple of hours

If you run it backwards, it already killed us March 5, 2006 and September 25, 2007 and took out Mercury August 11, 2008. Busy little bugger.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
ok guys sorry but could someone please explain if this is going to hit or not or come really close soon?.

i have no idea how to read this thing and im sure im looking at it wrong lol please help??

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Greetings Karmajayne:

.117 AU = 125,806 miles on the 11MAR11. NO it should NOT hit the earth. Please relax, this site has a way of getting people upset if you allow it, so please don't.

trinity369

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by trinity369

thank you for explaining that to me i was siting there clueless for awile lol.

and no i wasn't joining the bandwagon out there that runs for the hills everytime something pops up on here, the fearmongering happens all to often now just wanted to clarify that it wasn't going to hit us but the chance of not this one but another is more than likely at some point in time i for one hope it's not in my life time and i mean on a ELE scale

Star for you trinity369 thanks for the help

edit on 1-3-2011 by karmajayne because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2011 by karmajayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Greetings karmajayne:

You are truly welcome, and thank you for my first star. I wasn't expecting that.

I truly know in my heart that a ELE will not be aloud, by all that is benevolent. The path that we chose is determined within your hearts, it is this choice we make that determines which direction we head in. Thank you again.

In Love Light and Wisdom
trinity369

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Thank you all for helping me correctly read and understand the thing.

Does anyone know if this is visible in the night sky at the moment, or if it will be in the next couple weeks? If so, where in the night sky should one look for it? I am in the northeast US.
Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by turk182

Now that I can read this correctly, sorry about that, it appears it will be closest on March 11th at .117AU.
Kind of close, but nothing to be concerned about I take it.

On a side note, for what it's worth, as soon as I hit"reply" on my last post, my computer went haywire, and I started to rapidly seem to be downloading some type of virus. Red warning symbols popping up all over my screen and I shut it down immediately. I seem to be OK.
I am no computer whiz by any means, so I don't even know what this means.
I hope nobody with "skills" did that to me on purpose for starting this thread. I was not trying to create a scary thread about asteroid collision, honestly, I was merely trying to get help on understanding the JPL Small Body Browser images. I am NOT someone who is hoping for things like that to be true.

Thanks again for pointing out my mistake. I just found it quite odd that my computer did what it did when it did.
OK I'm done.
Nitey night.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Large comets are viewed as harbingers of doom because they can, if big enough, affect gravitational pull, set off a few earthquakes, movements, cause problems..........etc.

So, though this one appears rather close, I will personally only be worrying if come the 9th / 10th / 11th of this month we see an even bigger escalation (there is definitely an escalation taking place at present) of earthquakes.

I am only slightly concerned at present BUT comets ARE bad news which is why they are symbolised by a dagger coming down onto the EARTH.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by trinity369

.117AU is over a million miles. The distance you gave is halfway to the Moon.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

Large comets are viewed as harbingers of doom because they can, if big enough, affect gravitational pull, set off a few earthquakes, movements, cause problems..........etc.

A comet is tiny compared to the Moon. There is very little evidence that the Moon affects earthquakes. Comets have so little mass that their effect on the planets cannot be measured. They don't change the paths of the planets in a measurable manner. No quakes, no movements, no causing problems.

Comets large or small have been considered to be harbingers of doom in ancient times.
edit on 2-3-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Usually I'm at odds with you, but in this case I agree with you. It's obvious that the OP is wrong. Look at my post above for confirmation:

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by turk182

Did you rotate the image around to compensate for parallax? I did. The object is nowhere near us on that date. Sorry.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/655a70823596.jpg[/atsimg]
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 3/1/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: source

It's as plain as the nose on Patrick McGoohan's face...

edit on 3/2/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by turk182

The plot states that the distance form the Earth to the object is 2.39AU or 2.39 times the mean distance from the Earth to the Sun. That's a mighty big miss.

Use the zoom and pan to see that this is not a hit or even close.

He's exactly right. And now I must apologize for some of the things I said about you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join