It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto - Woman housed in garage had box of diapers, bucket of water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is one of the top stories in Canada's news today and to tell you the truth, it almost made me cry when I heard it. Such a sad , sad world we live in. I hope these people go to jail for a very long time.

www.thestar.com...

At around 10:50 a.m. Wednesday, paramedics responded to a 911 call at the house near McCowan Rd. and Finch Ave. E. They discovered a woman unconscious, unresponsive and suffering from frostbite.

Her skin was cold to the touch and her stomach was empty, police say. She was taken to hospital, where she later suffered a stroke. She remains in life-threatening condition.

Stones called the case one of the worst examples of elder abuse he has ever witnessed.

The woman had been sleeping on a mattress in the “makeshift bedroom,” Stones said.

“When I say makeshift, I’m referring to two drywalled walls. The remaining walls are the cinder block concrete walls. The floor has some cheap flooring on top of concrete.”

“There is no running water, there is no fridge, no stove, no microwave.”

The only heating source is a “modified dryer vent” connected to a furnace inside the house, Stones said. To relieve herself, the woman was given a box of diapers and a port-a-potty. Her “washing facilities” consisted of a bucket of water. When she was found, the only food in the room was a piece of bread

www.canada.com...

The elderly woman was moved to the uninsulated garage in the early part of last November, Vella said.

He couldn't say much more about her living arrangements, except that she had a "makeshift" bed to sleep in. "Not a proper type of bed. It was like something someone had put together," Vella said. "There was a small vent that provided some heat, but very little."

The garage also reportedly contained a portable toilet, which had not been emptied.

Vella said police believe the woman was not being fed properly.

"It's a disturbing case," he said. "This type of investigation is sensitive and we are doing everything we can to find out why she was placed in the garage to live."

Vella confirmed there were tenants renting space inside the home, which had "plenty of room."

www.globaltoronto.com...

"She was suffering from frostbite. She was obviously freezing in the garage. She was not being fed properly. She was not being taken care of," Vella said.

"It's not a proper living quarters at all for anyone to be living. There's no insulation."

www.cbc.ca...

After the woman was taken to hospital, she suffered a stroke and was placed on life support. Medical staff told police the woman had likely been badly neglected for some time.

They said the woman was using a portable toilet and had only a bucket for washing. Police believe she had no access to the house.

* The fact that this poor woman was the victim of her own son and daughter-in-law makes it even more horrific. She had dementia and incontinence, so I imagine that this was their excuse for not caring for her. Sickening!!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

I read that earlier, and I couldn't believe it! How could someone treat their mother that way, and since October!! She was in that garage for the entire freaking winter. I feel bad for the couples daughter but they do deserve to go to jail for treating a person that way, ESPECIALLY since they had two rooms free in their house. It wasn't like they were strapped for space.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

edit on 1-3-2011 by no special characters because: Read the wrong story and the information I was missing was in a different one.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

Geez...I hope you didn't read it here; I did a search.

If it's already here and I missed it, mods can remove it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

No not on here
In the Toronto Star, if it had been on here I would have mentioned and linked.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

These people are sick! I hope they get the chance to sit in jail for many years with a picture of the victim staring at them. To treat your own mother like this? This makes me want to puke.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

In cases like this one, I always say "Let the wrath of God come upon them".

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The people that did this to her will receive better accommodations/treatment in prison than they gave to her. Now that's some sick and twisted irony.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
These stories disgust me. We just had a bad case of neglect come full circle here at the end of 2010. There should be stiffer penalties for folks who see this and let it pass.

The woman here suffered terribly...

On August 24, 2009 Henry County Sheriff's Office and Stone Ambulance Service were dispatched to 38 Doss court in Ridgeway, Virginia, the home of Jarinda Faye Jackson, herein after referred to as "Jackson". Jackson is a 61 year old female who lives at the above mentioned address with her son, Tracy Jackson.

Upon arrival of personnel from the Henry County Sheriff's Office and Stone Ambulance Service, personnel immediately noticed a strong, foul, odor emitting from Jackson's body. Per a report from Andy Dunford, herein after referred to as "Dunford", and EMT with Stone Ambulance Service, to your affiant, Dunford reported that Jackson was lying partially on a box spring and partially on an air mattress. Dunford observed flies, maggots, and ants on Jackson's body. Dunford also observed brownish boils and skin discoloration on Jackson's legs along with fluid oozing from sores on her body. Dunford stated that Jackson was awake and appeared coherent and able to communicate with EMS personnel. Dunford relayed that Jackson's chief complaint was severe pain in her legs.

When Dunford, and another EMT, attempted to move Jackson from the bed to a stretcher for transport to the emergency room, Jackson's skin had grown to and became attached to the bed. Dunford noticed rotting body tissue on Jackson's back. The skin on Jackson's feet had also grown together, causing a webbed look. Dunford was then trasnported to the Memorial Hospital of Martinsville and Henry County.

When your affiant arrrived at the Memorial Hospital of Martinsville and Henry County I observed the wounds as described above by Dunford and took photographs. I also noticed a sore on Jackson's back the approximate size of a softball. Jackson has also been diagnosed with stage four Gangrene and has been transported to Baptist Hospital in North Carolina for further treatment.

Btw, the home health nurse was found not guilty of neglect at the end of 2010. The woman died a few days later and everyone involved walked....

It is outrageous that so many care so little for our elderly. It angers me almost to the point of being speechless.

www.wgsr47.com...
edit on 3/1/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Kwong Yan, 43, and Qi Tan, 28 are both being charged.

Yeah, really the Canadian classic couple.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The people that did this to her will receive better accommodations/treatment in prison than they gave to her. Now that's some sick and twisted irony.

This is sad and unfortunately true. Solitary confinement with just bread and water would be better than this poor lady was treated.
:Grabs a noose and a torch:
Let's go get em!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

You know what was more sad CBC Was protecting the abusers they wouldn't release the names of the abusers thinking it would hurt the Chinese.

But the names of the abusers were already disclosed by the police meaning the media can release there names on the news, but cbc didn't bother.

join