It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois: Release Names of All Gun Owners

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Illinois: Release Names of All Gun Owners

nation.foxnews.com

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chicagotribune.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
I am so tired of hearing people protest about gun ownership in America.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The Illinois attorney general says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

Illinois state police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

But Attorney General Lisa Madigan's public access counselor released a letter Monday night saying the information should be public.

The Associated Press had requested the list of FOID cardholders but state police said that would violate the privacy of gun owners. The attorney general's office ruled that argument invalid.

nation.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Illinois Attorney General Instructs Police to Release Names of Gun Owners
The Alantic Wire

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has issued a letter instructing state police to release the names of authorized gun owners in Illinois to the press, the Associated Press is reporting. State police had initially denied the AP's request for a list of Illinois residents with a Firearm Owners Identification card on the grounds that disclosing the names would violate the privacy of gun owners. The wire service explains that police officials have not indicated whether they will comply with Madigan's ruling, and that there are currently Republican-sponsored bills in the Illinois House and Senate that would prohibit disclosing this kind of information. The news comes less than two weeks after the New York Times obtained the names of more than 37,000 people licensed to own handguns in New York City from the New York Police Department after filing a Public Records Act request and a lawsuit. The police department handed over names and ZIP codes but left out street addresses, retired police officers, and city residents with licenses for long guns like shotguns and rifles. In an article and infographic, the Times noted that its database revealed "a remarkable, if relatively small, cross-section of New Yorkers" including "boldface names" like Fox News president Roger Ailes, actor Robert De Niro, and businessman Donald Trump. The newspaper said that some of the gun owners it contacted "were irked to learn they would be included in an article based on the public records." One can only assume Illinois residents will feel the same way.

edit on 3/1/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: Add Additional Link & Data

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is GREAT news for criminals...They know which people to rob now and which houses to break in at night...Thanks Ill.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
This is GREAT news for criminals...They know which people to rob now and which houses to break in at night...Thanks Ill.

So? Let them try and go rob or burgle gun owners. Might end up with a few less criminals, unless the owners don't know how to use a gun. In which case, they probably shouldn't own one in the first place.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers

Originally posted by Caji316

So? Let them try and go rob or burgle gun owners. Might end up with a few less criminals, unless the owners don't know how to use a gun. In which case, they probably shouldn't own one in the first place.

I assume Caji316 means that the baddies/hoodies will know who does and WHO DOESN'T own a gun.

Pretty good information to have if your scum.

t

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Id be more cautious that it will have the opposite affect. Instead criminals will know which homes are more easily accessible if they opt to break into homes that are NOT on the list.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I guess if gun registries keep meeting 2nd A demises the next plan of attack would be gun owner registries.

They'll all have to register themselves like sex offenders.

Whoever thinks that's a good idea should tread lightly though. A suit brought about by the 2nd A orgs against such a maneuver could potentially put an end to the sex offender registries by proxy.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the terrible news OP, and Caji316 took the words right out of my mouth.Lets give the thugs a means to determine which houses to break in by giving them a list of people who own guns and who isn't on the list, screw it let's make easy targets out of good people.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have a place in Indiana and several guns there but I don't live there full time. Good security system and no paperwork not their business. Just hunting weapons nothing for self protection in my gun vault,

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
So...what does the Attorney General plan to do with this list of legal gun owners?

Is this a tactic to search the list for a good "nut" they can demonize and then restrict legal gun owners even more?

Is the AG trying to take the licensing of permits away from the state police?

You would think the AG would have explained why she wants the list.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
A couple quick thoughts:

First of all, I have to imagine that this will become a "Right to Privacy" case, and go all the way up the ladder.

On top of that though, what this is truly going to lead to, is an increase of unregistered weapons sales, essentially creating more criminals. Meaning more revenue for police departments. Makes you go hmmmm...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Maybe I am wrong...

But, isn't everyone authorized to have a gun according to the Constitution, provided the person has no felonies or domestic violence charges?

Seems to me it would be easier to just get the census then cross reference with the criminal list and then that should be your list of who is authorized to have a gun.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I totally agree with you. They are violating defense rights and then privacy rights as well.

It's ridiculous how they are punishing the law-abiding gun owners ... and leaving them to be victimized by the street-thug criminals.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Reason Magazine had an article in 2009 about how the politicians in Chicago are breaking the gun laws that they pass. Read it here.

Of the handful of (anger-inducing) anecdotes in the article:

In 1994, State Sen. Rickey Hendon had an unregistered handgun stolen from his home in a burglary, and he didn't feign contrition about his disregard of the ordinance. "I have a right to protect myself," he declared, noting that he had been burglarized before—and forgetting that the state legislature of which he is a member allows Illinois cities to deprive their citizens of that right.

Asked if he would replace the lost piece, Hendon said, "No comment." The police were kind enough not to charge him.

Laws are something that the political class want you and I, private citizens, to obey. They really and truly want We The People to be defenseless.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

Excellent Find on the REASON article.

Star For You...

The Last Line Says It ALL:

In Chicago, only criminals and aldermen are armed. Forgive me for being redundant.

Alderman Definition from WikiPedia

An alderman is a member of a municipal assembly or council in many jurisdictions founded upon English law. The term may be titular, denoting a high-ranking member of a borough or county council, or denote a council member chosen by the elected members themselves rather than by popular vote.

Where is the NRA on this, are even they afraid of CHICAGOLAND?

t

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I live in Missouri, I am a light sleeper. I will not say how, but if anyone enters my home without permission they will die. I have a wife and son to think of. Of course I also have two dogs that will likely help me.

I think the state releasing names of gun owners are a bad thing though. It seems those without the protection will be likely targets. Also if someone is watching those with guns will be targets when they are not home. Think of all those guns that could be stolen.

That gives me another idea. What are the chances this might be linked to "criminals" breaking into homes that have residents at work or away and stealing their guns? Of course the guns and "criminals" will never be found. It might be the conspiracy part of me thinking that though.

Raist

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Typical Illinois thuggery. Why am I not surprised that highest ranking law enforcement officer would advocate a decision like this. Only in Illinois, where corruption and rights violations are as American as apple pie and ball games. I hope the State Police fights this tooth and nail. The people on that list are law abiding citizens and have followed the law to obtain a firearm if they so wish. Someone mentioned that it would be quite informative for criminals thinking of burglaries and home invasions.

On another note, it would be quite informative to a crusading politician who is hell bent on using their power to harass people and perceived enemies that may be on the list. This is absolute nonsense, and it seems the crooks are carrying the totalitarian torch from where Mayor "Shortshanks," Daley left off. I am kind of curious what Rahm "Rahmbo," Emanuel has up his sleeve when he formally takes over the reigns as mayor of the People's Republic of Chicago. It ought to get real interesting. Here is a little more about the flamboyant ordinance shirking, and illegal firearm fancier, Illinois State Senator, Rickey "Hollywood," Hendon.

That was an actual political ad. What characters Illinois has for politicians. To cut a long story short, this latest revelation out of the Attorney General's Office does not surprise me in the least. People who live in Chicago and Illinois are desensitized to the shenanigans of their politicians. In the end of it all, they usually get what they want.

MBF

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Illinois is full of corruption. They should lock all the politicians up and start anew. Well, they need to lock up most of the law enforcement and members of the judicial system too. Heck, anybody with a govt job needs to go too.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Now the bad guys can check your name against a data base before they do a home invasion.....just targeting those that are not on the gun owners list.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Talk about STUPID!!!!!!
This will be telling all of the criminals where to get guns

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join