It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah is the name of God!!! Tetragrammaton! YHWH

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Without meaning any disrespect to anyone else's point of view, if you are God, surely you don't need a separate name to identify you because your followers should know you.

However if you are one of a pantheon of 11 other Gods then of course you need a name. I have trouble with the Yahweh because wasn't he originally a Cannaanite God whom was married to Ashterah. I remember reading somewhere that a temple had been excavated with the statues of this particular couple some time ago.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Techyo

Very logical post.

However the bible tells us the importance of finding and using God's personal name.
God can't blame any human for using the name used in his bible, I have faith that he is happy with it , or he would have had it changed.

Joel 2:32a - And everyone who calls
on the name of the LORD will be saved.

Romans 10:13 - For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Proverbs 18:10
The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
reply to post by Techyo

Very logical post.

However the bible tells us the importance of finding and using God's personal name.
God can't blame any human for using the name used in his bible, I have faith that he is happy with it , or he would have had it changed.

Joel 2:32a - And everyone who calls
on the name of the LORD will be saved.

Romans 10:13 - For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Proverbs 18:10
The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
the righteous run to it and are safe.

God can blame you after someone has logically laid out why. This is one big reason why Jesus came to earth. To lay down the word so that we are guilty. As Jesus says we would not be guilty of sin if it wasn't for him coming to earth. Since he was sinless than man can be found guilty of sin since he has shown that it IS possible to over-come sin as man.

"I have faith that he is happy with it , or he would have had it changed."

You have faith that he is happy with what? The name Jehovah? If this is the case, what do you mean he would of changed it?

Don't you know that there is evil in this world and that man is apart of this evil and that man can change it?

Just as revelation says, "If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book"

So God expected this possibility, otherwise he wouldn't of put a warning on it.

I'm not placing this situation under the same severity as altering the book of revelations, but either way it is still ignorantly worshiping God, which Jesus spoke about.

He not only wants us to bring him glory and worship him, he also wants us to seek the truth. As the Bible says, he loves them who love the truth.
edit on 5-3-2011 by Techyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Techyo

God can blame you after someone has logically laid out why.

That philosophy cuts both ways, remember that.
So here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Theophorus

The bible states clear as to Gods name and it is not Jehovah.

Really, I am curious if you can show us the scripture that is found in?

well for starters, the actual word 'YAHWEH' is used in the Jerusalem Bible,The Bible in Basic English, The Holman Christian Standard Bible, The World English Bible,Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, The New Living Bible, not to mention the Biblia Hebraica and the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. Which 6828 times would you like me to show you the scripture its found in? Gods name is יהוה translated into English (Roman) would be YHWH. Tell me something, How do you get Jehovah out of that? be very careful how you explain this to me.

edit on 5-3-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

reply to post by Techyo

God can blame you after someone has logically laid out why.

That philosophy cuts both ways, remember that.
So here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Before I dig into that, can you address this...

The words "GOD" and "LORD" were used to replace God's actual name because the true pronunciation of it was lost.

Saying Jehovah is the way to pronounce it is to say that the correct pronunciation of it was NEVER lost and that "GOD" and "LORD" should of never been used to replace Gods true name...

"The most powerful and important Name of God, which appears in the Torah, is YHVH, also referred to as the Tetragrammaton and the Ineffable Name. Its pronunciation has been lost; it was formerly uttered only by the High Priest on Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement). Many scholars have speculated on its pronunciation, producing names like "Jehova" and "Yaweh"."

Since no one knows the correct pronunciation, the best can do is call on God by a title, which is "God".

Or call upon him saying the God of Abraham Issac and Jacob.

This is better than ignorantly worshiping God by calling upon him with a false name.

God has feelings like man. How would you feel if you were God and your creation called upon you with a name that sounded nothing like yours?

It would be like people chanting Johema at an Obama rally. Quite possibly even more a contrast to the name Jehovah to Gods true pronunciation.

You really think Obama wouldn't care?

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
"God": אלהים (Elohim: Goddesses and Gods)

"The Lord": Yah-Hovah (although אדני (Adonai) is literally "Lord").

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The bottom line here folks is that God is Hebrew. His word was written in Hebrew by Hebrews who were inspired by him. Out of respect we should at least try to call him the name closest to the original Hebrew dialect used at the time.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
The bottom line here folks is that God is Hebrew. His word was written in Hebrew by Hebrews who were inspired by him. Out of respect we should at least try to call him the name closest to the original Hebrew dialect used at the time.

Out of respect, if we don't know how to truly pronunciate his name, then we should instead direct God by a title, not his name, as of course we do not know it.

The high priests also thought this was the right thing to do as they replaced the name with "GOD" and "LORD" because how can a priest truly preach the Bible if they are preaching the wrong name of God to his people? It is not our faults that his name was lost, but it will be our faults for trying to guess the closes one. The best we can do is call him by a title.

Do not try and guess the closest one. You'll be wrong EVERY time.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

It's an issue of semantic consistency, either all names that begin with Y are used in the bible, or they are all converted to J. You don't do some, and not the others. This seems to be a difficult point to grasp for some people.

I grappled with this at one point too. But then I figured the simplest way to know for sure. And that is take the symbols within the Tetragrammaton and see how they convert in other parts of Hebrew grammar that are not controversial. Guess what I found "JEHO" & "VAH", problem solved. Issue resolved. Remember we are reading the bible in English not Hebrew, if you start swapping out letters all over the place you would have a grammatical nightmare.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

blue jay, not to be rude or disrespectful, however I still dont see how you have come to your conclusion.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I had to think long and hard if I was going to post this, but I decided to.
Many won't believe me I know, why I know 100% for sure "Jehovah" is the correct name for God is because that name has been used to fight demonic activity, I personally have done it myself, and so has somebody else I know.

Now I know many people will say I am nuts, but I know with 100% certainty that is God's name because of the power it wields against his deadliest enemies.

And that is all the proof I will ever need.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Are we not today simply far too removed from the times in the bible? Meanings behind words subtly change over time,or the original meaning to a word changed during the time of the bible, not to mention mistranslation,

Today most people's mindset when addressing either royalty or religion's top dignitries goes virtually to a single title: Your Majesty or Your Hollyness. But reading through correspondence between The Pharoah Akhenaten and his administrators over his Kingdom, one suddenly sees something quite intruiging:

"To the King, my Lord, my God, My Son, the Sun in the Sky". 5 titles on basically what was an everyday correspondence, an answer to a question between a boss and his employee.

There we have 4 titles for one man, drawing that man's perceived influence way, way, way beyond basically whom he was; or perhaps more whom we would see simply today as a King or (Emporer). Importantly his realm of authority from earth, through the heavens, ultimately to the Sun an the supernatural as his titles imply. (I think the early pantheons only had 4 Gods)

Are we deeply, really sure that the concept of the supernatural lawmaker God, regardless of name and linquistics etc did not arise at some forgotten point in history, created when uneducated peoples came into the fantastic worlds of the educated, their highly sophisticated and artistically accomplished cities and heard how the one in charge of such wonder was addressed. It basically takes us back to the wandering hunter gatherers comparing their insecure living to that provided by "The King, my Lord, my God, my Son, the Sun in the Sky". They probably had a leader, may have even called him King or Lord, but the very big thing perhaps they pondered on was had they missed out on not having their own cities and lifestyle etc simply because of not also having their own.... "God, My Son and the Sun in the Sky - reminds one of the Trinity?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Sorry for 4th para it escaped but i think what I was saying is still there.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join