It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow In San Francisco? Could Happen Late Friday 2/26/2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The Weather Channel today covered the system moving into the Pacific Northwest. Apparently it will be snowing in San Francisco Friday. Hmmm...

Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 02/23/2011
Snow In San Francisco? Could Happen Late Friday
By Jason Samenow
Unusually Cold Storm Impacting West Coast
voices.washingtonpost.com...

Temperatures are on the upswing across the eastern third of the United States, but a very stormy and cold pattern is taking hold over the West Coast. A winter storm warning is in effect for Seattle, where three to six inches of snow is expected through Thursday (including potential snowfall rates of one inch per hour north of the city into this afternoon). The same storm will dive southward, impacting much of California, Thursday into Saturday (from north to south). In the San Francisco Bay Area, the potential for some very rare snowflakes is on the table.

The San Francisco National Weather Service Forecast office writes:

ON FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY A RECORD COLD AIRMASS IS FORECAST TO DROP OVER THE REGION WITH SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE VERY LOW ELEVATION SNOW SHOWERS BETWEEN 500 FEET AND SEA LEVEL.

Measurable snow is very rare in San Francisco, and has only occurred in the area 11 times since 1856 according to meteorologist Jan Null of Golden Gate Weather Services, who has compiled a record. The last measurable snow to occur in San Francisco occurred in 1976 when one inch fell.
voices.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 2/23/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: date

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

While this would be the first snow in SF since the 70's, every 2-3 years we do get a ton of hail the size of marbles all over the place. The last time that happened was in winter of '05 where the hail covered a large parking lot with a good 4 in. of hail balls. It was awesome until I decided to make ice angels.
I've never been to any area where it's had snow on the ground so the experience would definitely be very interesting. I could tell you that if it did snow heavily, it'd be one day I call in sick because it would be an absolute mess with transportation in a weather situation where NO mitigation has been done. That and people would completely forget how to drive.

EDIT TO ADD: It is FREEZING here BTW. Of course some people will chuckle when it shows only 48 degrees F right now in SF, but a Native San Franciscan's environment must be strictly maintained between 65 and 75 degrees F plus or minus fog, overcast and sun.
edit on 2/23/2011 by mistafaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I was born in San Fran and lived there until I was about 4 1/2 (1972-1976). One of my earliest memories is of snow falling there, a light dusting really, when I was at my friend's house one day when I was 3. My mom, who had been living there since about 1967 said it was the only time she saw it snow while she was there. I was totally fascinated by it, because I'd of course heard of snow, but never seen it before.

A year+ later I got to see a real snow fall for the first time after my family and I had moved to Baltimore. It scared me and I didn't want to go outside, meanwhile my friends were all outside playing. I got over it the next snowfall, though.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
man I want snow in Los Angeles
it hardly snowed here. I have to admit I envy those that have snow at times

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yah, well I believe it because take a look at what's happening here in Skagit county Washington (hour north of Seattle)

It's still snowing and isn't suposed to stop until tomorrow, when we are going to be at around 12 degrees!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It is starting to look bad for snow angels in San Francisco. Reports are saying the cold front is moving in quicker than the rain clouds- they might miss each other. Off topic- non norcal folks should youtube "brett dennen san francisco" nothing snowlake related, but a great song by a wonderful singer/songwriter!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks for sharing the pictures, that looks like a lot of snow. South of Portland, we have a light dusting of snow, but it is not sticking, at least not yet.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I live25 miles north of Los Angeles, we had a good 1-2 inches stick to the ground earlier this year. At my elevation (1300) thats unheard of in California. Its been regularly 6-8 degrees cooler every day/night this winter, the nights are getting down to the mid 30s (normally mid 40s to mid 50s), in February it usually starts warming up around here, theres definitely something strange going on with the weather.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Snow is predicted for San Luis Obispo and inland areas of Northern Santa Barbara Counties as well. Pretty much 1/2 way between LA and SF... rumored to get as low as 28 degrees during the DAY on Saturday but we'll see.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So... do they have snowplows in San Francisco? Just wondering.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Nope. I work for the City and nobody is really worried that it's going to snow. The topic is all over the local news but I know that my department hasn't done anything to prepare especially for our fleet since any amount of snowfall is going to hamper some of our transportation operations.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Thinking it may snow up on Twin Peaks.

But I do know for sure it is raining pretty steadily here in Berkeley and I am freezing!!

anyone for hot cocoa?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Is it snow yet?
Line two is: It's snow here in Ann Arbor.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
No snow. In fact it's sunny in SSF right now

Not too worried about the snow either. But the weather IS keeping me from wanting to grab my bike from the shop today!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Nope no snow anywhere!

Aside from the pouring rain earlier this morning and blowing winds, it's very sunny right now in San Francisco. Of course in this city sun does not mean warm it is still cold.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
it's snowing right now up on Twin Peaks... brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

wind chill 35 here in berkeley

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Just saw on CNN that it's snowing in "the Bay Area". Haha.

edit on 2/26/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: CNN

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It is currently snowing in low elevations of LA county. Its not sticking to the ground yet, but its coming down like a flurry, pretty amazing to a Californian like me.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What's really cool is when it snows in San Diego.
I remember when I was a kid...it did happen...Enjoy the snow, Cali.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Around 1 AM the street below me looked like it had a fine powder on it! This is the closest I've ever been to snow!!

This morning around 7 AM there was frost on every car outside but that's not too rare a sight in the Sunset. What was interesting was that it was the most beautiful morning I've seen in MONTHS! The sun was out without a cloud in the sky (except for the East Bay and Peninsula) but it was still 40 degrees. The cold I can deal with but having sun is a rare commodity that must be taken advantage of west of Twin Peaks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join