It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another large quake hits Christchurch New Zealand

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Absolutely - driving south from Blenheim along SH 1 there's a section of road before Kaikoura with permanent "Uneven surface" signs on either side of it.

If you stop there and look up the hillside the faultline stretches away from you - it's easy to miss if you just drive past tho'.

My mother remembers swiming in the warm crater lake of Mt Ruapehu when she was a kid & living in Ohakune.

Physics and chemistry (and any other real "natural force" you may care to identify) are not subject to negotiation!!
edit on 22-2-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
My heart goes out too the fellow Kiwi's, I hope everything is being done for the people missing and trapped.
In respect to the conspiracy theorist about the stranded wales being related to this depth and magnitude of this earthquake I remember reading this in a PDF from Andrea Psoras-QEDI

Officially/ there is an area of research devoted to man-made earthquakes. Heologists and seismologists agree earthquakes can be induced in five major ways: fluid injection into the Earth, fluid extraction from the Earth, mining or quarrying. nuclear testing and through construction of dams and reservoirs.

In fact, there are officially recorded instances of earthquakes cause by human activity. Geologists discovered that disposal of waste fluids by means of injecting them deep into the Earth could trigger earthquakes after a series of quakes in the Denver area occurred from 1962-1965; theperiods and amounts of injected waste coincided with the frequency and magnitude of quakes in the Denver area. The earthquakes were triggered because the liquid, which was injected under very high pressure, released stored strain energy in the rocks.

Man-made earthquakes may seem like something out of the X-files, and it's probably only a matter of time before the idea is picked up by Hollywood.

In a booked entitled Tesla - The Lost Inventions, a section is headed "Man-Made Earthquake". It discloses Tesla's fascination with the power of resonance and how he experimented with it not only electrically but on the mechanical plane as well. In his Manhattan lab, Tesla built mechanical vibrators and tested their powers. One experiment got out of hand. Tesla attached a powerful little vibrator driver by compressed air to a steel pillar. Leaving it there, he went about his business. Meanwhile, down the street, a violent quaking built up, shaking down plaster, bursting plumbing, cracking windows, and breaking heavy machinery off its anchorages. Tesla's vibrator had found the resonant frequency of a deep sandy layer of subsoil beneath his building, setting of a small earthquake. Soon Tesla's own building began to quake. It is reported that just as the police broke into his lab, Tesla was seen smashing the device with a sledge hammer, the only way he could promptly stop it. In a similar experiment, on an evening walk through the city, Tesla attached a battery powered vibrator, described as being the size of an alarm clock, to the steel framework of a building under construction. He adjusted it to a suitable frequency and set the structure into resonant vibration. The structure shook, and so did the earth under his feet, Tesla later boaster he could shake down the Empire State Building with such a device. If this claim was not extravagant enough, he went on to say a large-scale resonant vibration was capable of splitting the earth in half. Too be continued.....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
astral_monkey RT @KrissyMoreauTV1: CTV closed no further rescue efforts will be made. It is believed everyone still inside has died from asphyxiation. #eqnz
5 minutes ago

this is from a twitter post on the tv3 website im not sure if this has been posted but i believe there was still 15 people in the ctv building and they have closed the rescue opp
this is pulling my heart strings im so sad that we could not rescue these people in time

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
75 Confirmed Dead and still hundreds missing at 12:30pm here in nz,

priminister john key has issued a national state of emergency!!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by karmajayne
astral_monkey RT @KrissyMoreauTV1: CTV closed no further rescue efforts will be made. It is believed everyone still inside has died from asphyxiation. #eqnz
5 minutes ago

this is from a twitter post on the tv3 website im not sure if this has been posted but i believe there was still 15 people in the ctv building and they have closed the rescue opp
this is pulling my heart strings im so sad that we could not rescue these people in time

It was odd that since they where talking to John Campbell a while back who is down there at the CTV building and when they mentioned the 15 people supposedly alive in there to him, he mentioned that the rescue crews there were a little confused since they had'nt heard about any of that. So maybe the 15 alive was a mistake or cross communication?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

Originally posted by karmajayne
5 minutes ago

It was odd that since they where talking to John Campbell a while back who is down there at the CTV building and when they mentioned the 15 people supposedly alive in there to him, he mentioned that the rescue crews there were a little confused since they had'nt heard about any of that. So maybe the 15 alive was a mistake or cross communication?

yes as far as i was aware they were still alive too but it was not the first twitter post i seen saying that. well i hope i am wrong and these people are still alive enough people have lost their lives already!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
My heart and prayers,

Go out to the people of New Zealand.

May God hear my prayers.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
im afraid my worst fears have been confirmed :'( here is a link to a news site that has stated what i said above this is not good at all!!

nz.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by byteshertz

I think a member said (or pointed to someone who had said) there was going to be a quake right after a beaching and they were right, but I'm not sure if the scientific community is taking it seriously yet, I could be wrong.

I'll have google around and see how many beachings there has been recorded before big(ish) quakes.

Your recount of the prediction is correct - I got confused. I have not had time to look around yet ( Im in Auckland NZ and im going flat out getting the updates out about the quake and trying to get people to provide support)

Latest update:
State of national emergency declared
75 confirmed dead - 55 identified, 20 unidentified - 300 missing
still many bodies littering streets, in cars and buried - but the focus is on the rescue of those alive not clearing the bodies - so death toll likely to heavily rise.
edit on 22-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

Originally posted by matthewm
It's time to put our faith in God

But.....but.... Christs-church was just destroyed by an "act of god".

Have you seen the steeple?

Maybe God is sending a sign for people to stay away from religion, who knows.

edit on 22-2-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

Maybe God had nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
200 - 400 dead.

The whole world is helping, but what can you do?

So many people dead.

75 people currently reported dead. 300 people reported still missing. Be sure to quote the right stuff, man. That many deaths is a scary thing to hear about.

Originally posted by The time lord
Just a couple of things does not make sense,

*The wife on the phone I am not sure what if she is out yet, I heard that too on the news, i thought she was a news journalist stuck at her desk or something that is what it sounded like, correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay just found out;
www.bbc.co.uk...

Trapped under her office desk, Anne Voss told a New Zealand TV station: "I rang my kids to say goodbye. It was absolutely horrible.
"My daughter was crying and I was crying because I honestly thought that was it. You know, you want to tell them you love them, don't you?"

She said she could hear other people alive in the building, and had called out to them.

*They said a school building calapsed, were there any children in there, what time did it actually happen over there? Were kids at school?

*My BBC news confirms 65 deaths so far been like that for a few hours.

* 6.3 on the richter scale, are they sure that is right because it looks a lot stronger, even the roads have broken in half so this looks different.

For example what is the point calling it a 9.5 if it is miles deep and does nothing, I'm not sure how they measure earthquakes these days they should at least X it by how near it was to the surface.
edit on 22-2-2011 by The time lord because: more facts

Yah, I've been watching live coverage of the quake since yesterday and Anne Voss has been on the phone to news stations here in Oz since then, intermittently. I think she does work for another news station in Christchurch, hence the reason why she may have the contact details for stations here. Rescue crews are in contact with her and are supposedly just above where she is trapped.

The quake apparently hit around 1pm, when many people were at work inside buildings, children where in school and people where out and about in the city for lunch.

They are saying that this quake was 5km deep which is why there is much more devastation on the surface than September's earthquake last year, which was stronger on the Richter scale but much further underground.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Christchurch for those who have never lived there or know little about NZ.

A lot of news commentators are parroting the idea Christchurch gets a lot of earthquakes. Well before the 7.1 magnitude quake in September last year the city was regarded by locals as safe from quakes. Particularly safe compared to say Wellington or many localities in the North Island.

The fault line under Christchurch revealed since the first big quake in September 2010 was previously unknown!

The older buildings are stone, brick and mortar, quite unlike the older buildings in the North Island. In fact old parliament house in Wellington is supposed to be a contender for the largest wooden building in the world. The reason for all of the state buildings built largely of wood in the North Island is the threat of earthquakes. In the South Island you see magnificent blue stone buildings like in Dunedin and Omaru. The South Island and Christchurch in particular have never been threatened with earthquakes. Another reason modern buildings in Christchurch have pancaked is simply they were not build on high tech rolling cushions found under the new constructions in say Wellington.

No one least of all the gothic inspired architects of those fine old buildings such as the Chch square cathedral now in ruins never for one moment believed there would be earthquakes in the city. In fact if they had they would probably never have located the city on a bed of sand, silt, and gravel. The constituency of the ground the city is built on is the reason for the widespread liquefaction that has occurred, where people are comparing walking on many suburban paths to walking on sand. Roads are sunk in many parts as are partially the vehicles on them, almost swallowed by the ground.

The city is built amid huge volcanic cones. Lyttleton, where the epicentre was located, and Banks Peninsular are ancient and eroded volcanic cones. These are supposed to be extinct volcanoes.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Tallone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pretty_vacant
Yah, I've been watching live coverage of the quake since yesterday and Anne Voss has been on the phone to news stations here in Oz since then, intermittently. I think she does work for another news station in Christchurch, hence the reason why she may have the contact details for stations here. Rescue crews are in contact with her and are supposedly just above where she is trapped.

Oh, now they're saying it's not Anne Voss that rescue crews are in contact with, it's a different Anne who works in the same building..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

news.ninemsn.com.au...

They say it's here but ok the media are not known to be accurate before they "scoop" a story. She was not in the CTV building so that is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
they have been reports all rescue opps at the grand chancellor hotel in chch have been pulled back as it's on the verge of collapse now it has a lean on the horizontal of one metre following the most recent aftershock

www.nzherald.co.nz...
edit on 22-2-2011 by karmajayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

You parasites need to be banned.

Piss off.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
Yahweh's message there, was that they are not teaching the TRUTH about Him or Christ. In other past earthquakes elsewhere, idols have been knocked over, and people buried alive for practicing Voodoo and other false religious rites. Yahweh is speaking through Her Powerful Right Arm via His natural arsenal.

All any nation needs to do is accept Christ's Ruler-ship and be shielded from any further bowls of punishment and not be subjected to the coming wrath.

What a joke - christian's have died too ya know! You know others that believe the same stuff you do.

You should be banned - while you are entitled to an opinion you are not respecting the right of others to have a place to grieve without having to listen to your preaching of hate and repent using gods "wrath" and "punishment" against people who are still trapped underground and dying.
Why would anyone want to follow a god that punishes people in the manner you discribe - if the real god exists I know he would want nothing to do with the hate you are spreading, I hope you and others like you will be judged by the same god that you claim to be supporting.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

You parasites need to be banned.

Piss off.

I agree, but lets be honest their "savior" would be disappointed with them and their behavior. I mean you don't get say Neopgans like myself saying it's "Mother Earth letting us know she's pissed off". No it's a bloody earthquake.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
TV1 news is now reporting that there are Car sized sinkholes that have appeared in various parts of the city.

OMG.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Also , they are now reporting the Grand Chancellor Hotel is currently sinking in its own foundations.

Its not if, but when it collapses.

A minor aftershock could take it down now.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

wow really i hadn't heard about that this is just getting worse i hope that the aftershocks calm down enough to free all the trapped people down there i can't imangine what the people of chch must be going through...

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join