It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents...

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

I was, in no way, telling other people what to do. You clearly haven't read my posts on this thread if you think I am.
Just to clarify:

I am an ex-smoker.
I do not criticize or look down on smokers.
I STRONGLY disagree with the OP that parents who smoke should be found unfit.
I am aware of the dangers of smoking.
I am against government intervention of personal habits of any kind.

Now, if you have a problem with my position, please specify. Thanks.

edit on 2/21/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Smoking is NOT hard to quit....i have quit several times in my life....

LMFAO! Sorry, but that's funny.. Isn't quitting stopping...totally?
edit on 2/10/2011 by sk8erchick because: I don't know how to quote....

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

The graph is on wikipedia, even on khat page:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
More self-righteous tripe!!!

Mind you're own [bleepin'] business! What if a parent NEVER smokes in the house, around their children, in the car with their children??? What if the parent is responsible enough to ensure that the child doesn't even know they smoke? Who died and made you arbitor of all that is right and wrong?

There is nothing worse than a reformed *whatever*! They are the biggest hypocrites on the planet! Good for you, you beat your addiction... others are struggling to do so and NOW you want to advocate the ultimate punishment because it no longer applies to you??? That spells H - Y - P - O - C - R - I - T - E !!!

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with the world... "THESE" people want to mind everyone else's business. Mind MY privacy!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

ah well that explains it.

link   
I don't think it's about smoking by itself..

Personally, I think that any parent that puts his child in danger, knowing about it, or lacking the will to inform themselfs, is unfit to be a parent.

It's very debatable what society should modify to raise the perfect generation. And from past experiences, I think that people who try that, might be heading for a dangerous path.

But I don't think smoking is that much of a danger as to many other thing's people do. For instance, the food they give to their kids, the lack of exercise, and such things.

I agree with you, no parent should smoke with their child present, or during pregnancy.

But at the same time, I think that all the other sedentary habits hurt our children as much as a cigarette.

link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Originally posted by Maslo
The title of this thread should be: "Parents who smoke around children should be found unfit to be parents...

No.. it should not.

The title of this thread should be: "I think smoking is bad for me and my children. Here is why."

But then the content matter would have to be actual reasons for smoking being bad for THOSE people. And then others can take from it what They Will.

Smoking is bad for health, it is a medical fact. I believe that mothers that smoke during pregnancy and parents that smoke around their children in closed spaces have to be prosecuted.

Parents that smoke, but not around their children are not the problem.
edit on 21/2/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

edit on 21-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: my compooter screwed up...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I just wanted to make it clear Jax, that i don't have a problem with your opinion. Merely how you express it. You've quite literally called anyone who smokes and has children , unfit parents. It's a personal assault. Even against those who are not like the woman you saw, who have never and will never smoke around their child or in an enclosed space with their child.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I can't give you a "scientific" study but I can give you an individual observation. I have 6 year old twins. I smoked for 25 years and their father still smokes. When home, they are not allowed to watch TV or play video games until about an hour before bedtime. Weather permitting, they are outside during most of the day. We have started our garden and I am teaching them how to grow and take care of their own little plants. When inside, they read, play board and card games and other games that focus their minds. We eat healthy, do not eat fast food and we go for walks regularly. This spring, I am hoping to enroll them in t-ball or other sport of their choice. They are the perfect weight for their height. They are both reading at above a 2nd grade level and are at a 2nd grade level in math. They are intelligent, active and very happy children. We do have a Wii system but it's used as a reward and is not a play-when-you-want thing. They have no other technical gadgets, aside from a reading-pen system that helps them read and sound out words in special books.

As I mentioned in a previous reply on this thread, they have a classmate that lives next door, also 6. His parents do not smoke but are very overweight. They have a beautiful home and new cars sitting in their driveway and they hire landscapers to come do their yard work and tend their flowers. I never see this child outside and when he does come over to play (which is not often) it's usually on days where the weather is bad because he knows I'll send them out to play if the sun is out. He doesn't like that. He has a Wii, and his very own PSP with a fancy case and about 20 or more games for it. He has some other gadget, which looks to me like a cell phone but he's never brought it over. He's a brat--I have to constantly watch him because he can be just plain mean to my kids and he's destructive of my things, like pulling up the bricks in my garden, he broke a piece of my porch railing..just to give a few examples.

He's also 3 times the size of my kids, probably due to the Happy Meals I see him getting out of the car with quite often.

Who are the more unfit parents? Me and my smoking husband or the lazy, fat neighbors who are teaching their son it's okay to be lazy and fat?

I can tell you without skipping a beat that my children, brought up by a smoker and a former smoker, are MUCH healthier, in body and in mind, than this chunky, lazy, PSP playing brat that lives next door with his non-smoking parents.

Like I said, not a scientific experiment but sometimes real-life scenarios will tell you a whole lot more than a laboratory test.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
I would try to " counter " BH's comments, but I'm a little slow this morning, must be the second hand smoke that is clouding my judgement and brain capacity~

Well, since I quit smoking 10 years ago, I'm more mentally astute!
Maybe I can simple it up for you. What position of mine do you have an issue with?

I am an ex-smoker.

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I was, in no way, telling other people what to do. You clearly haven't read my posts on this thread if you think I am.
Just to clarify:

I am an ex-smoker.

Now, if you have a problem with my position, please specify. Thanks.

edit on 2/21/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

My apologies. Allow me to clarify.

I am...passionately expanding upon your post with my own opinions.

I have noticed well your stance, and I am sorry to come off as if I feel that your post was a complete error, I just felt your post was incomplete compared to what is in my way of thinking. Sorry to come off so strongly. I could have presented that differently.

link   
Insurance companies are a ponzi scheme. Insurance companies would not "be able" to command higher premiums, based on increased health problems related to smoking, if the tobacco products suppliers would stop putting carcinogens and toxic substances in the products they sell. Focus your energy on mandating the elimination of toxic and deadly substances used in the manufacture of smoking products, force tobacco companies to sell their goods in the produce dept..."FRESH". You will be more successful in doing that, than convincing any "smoker", that you know for a fact, that they are an unfit parent!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
some good arguments are being presented.

most parents dont even bother looking at the ingredients list on the packaging of the food they give their children, let alone even know anything about the substances listed.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

My apologies. Allow me to clarify.

I am...passionately expanding upon your post with my own opinions.

Ah! I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Whereweheaded? Your comments?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Of course they knew. We sold cigarettes in the drugstore we owned and mom and dad, gramma and grandpa all smoked...and more than a few died from lung cancer. But in no way were they unfit. If all was known 50 years ago...they wouldnt have continued Im sure.

My stepdad as well...dying from lung cancer...said to me before he died..."Christ sake! In World War 2 they GAVE us cigarettes to smoke with our rations! We didnt know it was addicting! If we knew...we would not have started...and after 40-some years...now we're all addicted." And then...he died.

But he was in no way criminally suspect or unfit as a parent.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

True, My mother hates it when I smoke and she did it for 15 years. I agree that we should not smoke around children and should do it in private but taking kids away from smokers is ridiculous. I smoke around 10-20 a day no more and find it very difficult to consume alcohol. If anything smoking makes me feel relaxed and less agitated, It makes me a better person as ironic as it may sound. Smoking kills your brain cells over time and your logic may sway after years and years, Whereas alcohol could change your logic in a couple of minutes.

OP how would you feel if your father was a smoker and someone suggested you be taken to a foster home because he is 'unfit' as a parent?. How would you feel if you were the parent that smoked and your children were taken away?

Smoking marijuana on the other hand is another story altogether, One that i wouldn't encourage.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The title of this thread should be: "Parents who smoke around children should be found unfit to be parents...

No.. it should not.

The title of this thread should be: "I think smoking is bad for me and my children. Here is why."

But then the content matter would have to be actual reasons for smoking being bad for THOSE people. And then others can take from it what They Will.

Smoking is bad for health, it is a medical fact. I believe that mothers that smoke during pregnancy and parents that smoke around their children in closed spaces have to be prosecuted.

Parents that smoke, but not around their children are not the problem.

Prosecuted? Let people suffer the consequences of their actions!!! The purpose of a law is to guide people, NOT to punish them! The consequences are bad enough. People will learn in time whatever lessons they need to learn. Don't you dare victimize the children of smoking parents until you yourself stop using the tools in front of you that put out thousands more poisons into the airs OUTSIDE where your kids will GO.

And your kids will continue to put these poisons into the air as well.

All heart, no foresight creates a royally-spoiled world. All you princes and princesses need a little "sovereignty" in your lives. Are you so bored that you need a cause, or have you finally perfected yourself and your family??

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Driving say an automobile is less toxic, people should really consider who is poising who, does your work place produce toxic fumes? toxic waste products, what about the materials inside your home? ignorance is not bliss on any level. Some people feel they are rightious in there views and there the worst MF out there.
As long as people buy the concepts there sold the problems will contiue!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
really???

so that can of hairspray is better for the children? how about the car you drive them to school in? or the mcdonalds you stop by on the way home?

i smoke, and in no way would i be the hypocrite to say it is not bad for health, but to say i can't smoke a cigarette outside where the wind blows... ridiculous.

i assume drinking of course is MUCH better for your children? okay, so the bac level doesn't effect your child, but how about being able to get them home after the friday night football game??? nevermind... i am sorry, but there are much more dangerous problems as soon as my daughter steps out our door than the guy standing on the corner smoking...

now if the thread had been against parents who drink, my thoughts would so be with you... but no, smoking?
edit on 21-2-2011 by schitzoandro because: add

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join