It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Toll In Libya Protest 'Hits 84': Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Death Toll In Libya Protest 'Hits 84': Report

news.sky.com

A leading human rights group claims up to 84 people have been killed in three days of protests in Libya, amid reports snipers fired at mourners in the eastern city of Benghazi.

Protests against Colonel Gaddafi's 40-year rule, inspired by uprisings in neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt, have been met with force.

Internet access has also been cut in the city, removing one of the few ways Libyans can get information out about the anti-government protests in the country.

There were further reports that Facebook and Twitter had also been shut down in the capital of Tripoli, while the city was
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.xinhuanet.com
latimesblogs.latimes.com

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
There has been much interesting news out of Bahrain about protesters being killed by riot police. This time it's Libya and Military and Militia.

Libyan security forces killed at least 15 mourners and injured dozens of others at a funeral on Saturday, according to hospital officials.

The snipers targeting protesters against longtime ruler Moammar Gadhafi began firing on crowds as they mourned 35 people who died the previous day in anti-government rallies.

New York-based Human Rights Watch previously reported that Libyan security forces have killed 84 people in a harsh crackdown on three days of protests. The latest reported fatalities from Saturday's funeral raise that death toll to about 100.

The protests calling for the removal of Gadhafi, Libya's leader for the past 42 years, have erupted largely in the cities of the country's impoverished east and have been brutally suppressed with a combination of armed militias and elite forces.

Internet service was also cut off in Libya in the early hours of the morning on Saturday, according to the U.S.-based Arbor Networks security company, which detected a total cessation of online traffic in the North African country just after 2 a.m. local time.

At least five cities of eastern Libya have seen protests and clashes in recent days. In one of them, Beyida, a hospital official said Friday that the bodies of at least 23 protesters slain over the past 48 hours were at his facility, which was treating about 500 wounded -- some in the parking lot for lack of beds.

Forces from the military's elite Khamis Brigade moved into Benghazi, Beyida and several other cities, residents said. They were accompanied by militias that seemed to include foreign mercenaries, they added. Several witnesses reported French-speaking fighters, believed to be Tunisians or sub-Saharan Africans, among militiamen wearing blue uniforms and yellow helmets.

Source

100 Dead in three days!? It seems that there is at least one state worse off then Bahrain!

All my best to the protesters in the Mid-East and Africa! May those who lost there lives rest in peace.

Libya Crackdown Video

Peace & Respect,

AS

PS: Sorry for the multiple thread starts but I believe this Headline will draw more attention to this story as this needs to be known!

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added + sp

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well it seems like Qaddafi is going to follow Iran's example and not follow Egypt's lead and is in no mood for "Regime Change"

Figures....
edit on 19-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Seems this is going to be worse then Bahrain and even more 'in the dark'.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I'm just waiting for the "It's an MI5/CIA/Mossad plot" crowd to show up and lay blame....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I'm just waiting for the "It's an MI5/CIA/Mossad plot" crowd to show up and lay blame....

As much as that COULD be possible I am taking the stance that people are just fed up with poor living conditions and having to live under a dictator that has been in power for 40+ years!

I honestly could NOT imagine!
edit on 19-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Whats amazing is if it has the slightest possibility of being a CIA/MI5/Mosaad plot this would jump to the top of the boards and stay there but because it's Libya well pffft.

Who cares?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

LOL It would just be business as usual for agents if that was the case hey?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
There were 925 million starving, globally, in 2010 according to worldhunger.org.

The people giving their lives, to change this, throughout the middle-east are heroes for humanity.

How much money is the media making off of the uprisings?

We need to pop this off in the states.

End economic suppression.

Rebuke greed.

Support humanity.

....what's that? New iGadget? Only $599? Can I charge it on my toxic by product of oil card? Turn that Libya crap off, it is depressing me. I am gonna blaze one and cruise to the mall. Freedom is awesome.

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The death toll has passed 100. This dictator who has been backed by western governments has no remorse for taking innocent peoples lives. He needs to go, they civilians need our help and If our countries stand back and do nothing we are no better than the pricks in power in Libya right now

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Well here is another thread. Are the Arab protests orchestrated?

Everybody is reaching for straws mainly blaming the US.

You should read the comments.
NO, Never could it be simply the people fed up with the BS from their own Governments.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Reagan should have gotten rid of the guy when he had the chance.

Why Reagan or the UK didn't get rid of him after Lockerbie is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The people of Libya and Bahrain will not have the same *struggle* as the people of Tunisia and Egypt.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
*Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well here is another thread. Are the Arab protests orchestrated?

Everybody is reaching for straws mainly blaming the US.

You should read the comments.
NO, Never could it be simply the people fed up with the BS from their own Governments.

Thanks for the link. Yeah I prefer to keep my head OUT of the clouds and down in reality. I have however stated how software has made it very easy to provoke these protests if a government of one country would like to get a noncomplying country to bow to foreign policy. But again .... If i were living in less-than-human conditions I would certainly want to backlash!

I dunno .. Maybe on some level both is true because these people a keg of powder that has been ignited. what I don't have is proof of outside influence so as far as outside influence ... this remains an assumption and not fact rendering this for the time being moot.
edit on 19-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
My only hope is that the protesters prevail.

I also hope they get their hands on some weapons and start fighting fire with fire.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Bahrain seems to have settled down (see last pages of this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...) and may be more akin to Egypt despite the horror that has transpired there in the early days.

Libya, well it's hit 100 dead and is still climbing actually, with mercenary snipers and attacks on the people from helicopter guns. The human rights groups are watching this one more closely it seems, and it's for sure going to be a different and bigger struggle. (more in this thread if you're interested) www.abovetopsecret.com...).

Egypt, Kuwait, Djibouti, Jordan, Yemen, Iran, Syria, Lebanon...this is getting intense.

What's it matter for the moment if they're orchestrated or not? Everything is "orchestrated" by someone.

edit on 2/19/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Innocent lives , hope things can go peacefully.

top topics

join