It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Cornel West - Black History Month and Much More

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Dr. Cornell West - My Man

You know how every now and then you run across someone speaking and you experience a kindred connection, as if they are able to poetically express what you are thinking, and they leave you inspired? Well Dr. Cornell West is one of those figures for me. Such animation, contempt and sheer brilliance encapsulated in compassion and common sense. I really want to personally thank this cat for his service and plight to restore our collective rotting hearts.
I have watched him over the years and every time he opens his mouth, I sit at the edge of my seat ready to cheer.
Now I know he is a Christian and leans left politically, but that does in no way tarnish his assessments. He speaks truth and is a master of American history. He is not shy about criticizing this administration either.

I saw him on C Ferguson discussing Black History month and felt compelled to share this mans grace, resolve and brilliance.

I have included some of his other works too and hope you take the time to listen to some of them. He is one that makes me proud to be a human being and he reminds me of the importance of courage and personal responsibility.
He certainly has the credentials to be considered intelligent and experienced.

In 1970, at age 17, West entered Harvard University on a scholarship. He graduated magna cum laude three years later with a bachelor's degree in Middle Eastern languages and literature. He attended graduate school in philosophy at Princeton University, where he was influenced by the American pragmatist philosopher Richard Rorty. (West briefly abandoned work on his dissertation to write a novel, which was never published.) After receiving his doctoral degree in 1980, West taught philosophy, religion, and African American studies at several colleges and universities, including Union Theological Seminary, Yale University (including the Yale Divinity School), the University of Paris, Princeton University, and Harvard University, where he was appointed Alphonse Fletcher, Jr., University Professor in 1998. He returned to Princeton in 2002.

www.biography.com...

Times Topics: Cornel West
HEEDING THE CALL I’ve never spent a weekend in Princeton. I would like to be at home, but my calling beckons me. I’ve got places to go, from schools to community centers to prisons to churches to mosques to universities to trade unions. There’s academic lectures, political lectures, religious lectures. It’s just my regular weekly travel. The aim is to touch minds and settle souls; so you instruct as well as delight.
EARLY RISER I usually get up in a different part of the country every Sunday, usually very early, about 6:30 a.m. It’s just the habit, you know. I’m traveling, so I’ve got to get moving. I usually hit four cities in a weekend.
THE PLACES HE GOES All over. This past weekend, I was in Seattle, Oakland, Sacramento and Chicago. Next weekend, I’m going to Dallas, Houston and back to Chicago. I stay in hotels. They provide for me. None of this is out of my pocket; I’m as broke as I can be.
FAITH-BASED Am I religious? Am I a black man born to my parents, Irene and Clifton West? I am, indeed, indeed. I am a profoundly Jesus-loving free black man who bears witness to truth and justice until the day I die.
WHICH CHURCHES? Christian and Baptist. Funky Baptist, which means you focus on the blood at the cross where you find the love and freedom to bear witness to truth and justice. And funky as in George Clinton-and-James Brown funky, as opposed to deodorized.
FAVORITE HOUSES OF WORSHIP If I can, if possible, I usually go to a black Baptist church. Concord Baptist in Brooklyn. Enon Tabernacle Baptist in Philadelphia. Abyssinian in Harlem, with my dear brother Calvin Butts. I’ve spoken at his church three times. And Mother Zion Church on West 137th Street. I just spoke there. I’m not an ordained or licensed preacher, but they ask me to preach anyway.
NO BREAKFAST I haven’t had breakfast on a Sunday since 1984.
WHAT HAPPENED IN 1984? We won’t go into that. It was a special Sunday. But I always have water. It’s decaf coffee from Monday to Thursday.
HITTING THE BOOKS Downtime is reading; I’m always reading on the plane, whatever the reading is for course work the next week. I’m also always rereading the classics, Plato, St. Augustine.
EVER READ FLUFF? I might pick up Time or Newsweek and take a peek.
PREPPING FOR CLASS I try to shoot to be home by 8 or 9 at night. I like to get home and wash my clothes. I have to read all night; I have to be real fresh for class. I like to read two or three hours every night. Right now I’m reading Robert Brandom, one of the great pragmatic American philosophers. I read until 2, 2:30 a.m. I don’t really need that much sleep.
IN THE COMPANY OF GREATS I’ve been married three times. I’m married to my calling, but I’m not married to a particular woman. I have no pets. My apartment is full of books and records, the light of Toni Morrison and John Coltrane. And Chekhov, everywhere.

www.cornelwest.com...
The Craig Ferguson Interview - Black History Month

Fault Lines - A Discussion of the Economy

A Series On Wisdom

Guest Appearance On Tavis Smiley

The Leftist

I just love this dude and I hope you find something of worth in this thread.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Excellent thread, spec, and glad to see another fan of Mr. West. I too am always stunned by this guy's eloquence and knowledge. If you haven't watched the video below, you should. It's a video featuring many guests including Arianna Huffington and Cornel West discussing what is next for America.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Thank you for the support and comment DJ, I hope more folks tune into this for insight and inspiration.
I'll check that interview out this evening...

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A Bump for the sake of West and his inspiration....
2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Cornell West is a regular guest on Bill Maher's show. West is incredibly insightful and intelligent. I think everyone could learn a thing or two from listening to him and/or reading some of his works. Thanks for posting those video clips! I have never seen them before.

S&F

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Hey Aggie, glad to meet another fan

Common sense, depth and inspiration all in one, West is da man!
Thanks for the reply!

spec

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Just wanted to add this little nugget, a preview for the documentary Examined Life. Watch

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks for sharing. S&F.

I once had the pleasure of performing for the professor at the Presidents Ball in D.C. He loves music !

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Black History month is about being human?

umm . . . no?

--The goal of Black History Week was to educate the American people about African-Americans' cultural backgrounds and reputable achievements

Link
--

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

I think the statement qualifies as part of a description for being human too. You are correct about the specific term, but I think West is trying to broaden the perspective to make it a more inclusive celebration. He used the word
"about," which imo, create some room for a more expansive expression.

peace,
spec

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
How did I miss this thread!? Too bad more people didn't join in this discussion, he surely is a great man. Thanks for all the vids!

Dr. West's book was actually the first real book I ever read (4th grade). His eloquent wording and rebellious nature immediately had me hooked, it wasn't until I got a little older that I really started to understand what he was saying though.

Thanks again!

S&F

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Thanks for chiming in LifeIsEnergy, and I fully agree! I plan on reading some of his books too, Race Matters, The American Evasion of Philosophy: A Genealogy of Pragmatism, and Democracy Matters are at the top of my list, if I can ever break away from ATS!
My short spare time is usually spent here, and my reading list continues to grow!
Here is a site listing his books:
www.bookfinder.com...

Peace,
spec
edit on 30-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: link

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yes I have as well observed Doctor West interactions in the urban and political community. He seems to be about Service To Others as well and I can respect him for that 100%. I also see he interacts well with the younger age group which is pretty cool.

S&F

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanks for the chime in Ophiuchus 13, and yes I forgot about his involvement with the youth as well as inner city social programs and leadership. He walks the walk and talks the talk! I really enjoy his speeches becasue they are not only informative and enlightening, but he always brings the truth and tragedy back to a place of inspiration and encouragement. He also advocates genuine courage, which is something many loose along the way of personal battles within and without the system.

peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just heard this today and wanted to add it. Terms of the day? Predatory Capitalism and Weapons of Mass Distraction! ha touch'e!!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

^ good stuff!

Here is one I just stumbled upon, Cornell stands up to Al Sharpton on MSNBC, while talking about Obama, and says, "I got to be honest, I love this man... but I worry about you brother... you may be getting used as another black mascot for this Whitehouse..." I clapped so loud at this I think my neighbors woke up! LOL!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

Hey LIE, thanks for the addition! Yes, I too feel like cheering when I hear Dr. West. He calls it like he sees it, regardless of any affiliations.

Peace,
spec

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thanks for this terrific thread ... it's great to have a concentrated dose of Brother West all in one place.

There's much to admire about him, but the thing I enjoy the most is really just his personality and the way he expresses himself. He's such an idiosyncratic, natural humorist. I could be enthralled listening to him give an analysis on the finer points of paint drying, I suspect.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Thanks for the support Hadrian! Yea, I thought Dr. West surely deserves some exposure, so many rotting hearts these days!

Peace,
spec

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

He doesn't seem any different then any other Black Nationalist I heard. Dr. West fails to recognize that "White Supremacy"= Anglo Supremacy.

Look up Haiti's history as a clear example of Anglo's in action. German male immigrants arrived, married into the nation(only citizens could own land) and helped to build Haiti up. Did you know at one time more Haitians had access to electricity then Americans? But then the German-Haitians helped the Haitian government setup a central bank for the Haitian people by the Haitian people and well the rest is history.

Heck look at American history, from the Colonial era all the way up to the 1970's German Americans faced discrimination, harassment, mass detainment and lynchings. And yet we are still "White".

Look at the Civil war. Northern Anglo's didn't want to fight and the Irish rioted to avoid fighting. The only reason slavery ended in America was because of the German American community because Lincoln was losing their support because he was starting to renegade on his promise of ending slavery(yet we are still "white" and thus have to feel bad for enslaving African American's).

Look at feminism in America. Where did it start and expand in? The Anglo American community.

Look at the KKK and where did it start? Ohh I know the Anglo American community!

This whole nonsense of white has got to end. It is nothing more then a tool created by Anglo's to hide behind so they could continue to run the show(Anglo's currently only have 24 million people in this country) and cast their crimes on other peoples who not exactly had nothing to do with it but helped to end the injustices created by the Anglo's.

[Anglo=English)

new topics

top topics

join