It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Street View 08: The Aspartame Menace!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What about splenda?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
SOme relative links on the details of this, imo, criminal act.
www.rense.com...
www.rense.com...
www.newswithviews.com...
www.whale.to...
www.healthsalon.org... *
Other stuff with aspartame in them:Source

Peace and pure cane sugar please

spec
edit on 16-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lilygotsilly

Splenda, or sucralose, is made by beginning with a molecule of true and natural sugar. Three hydroxyl groups, or atoms that are composed of hydrogen and oxygen, are removed. These are then substituted with three atoms of chlorine.

Yep, it's the same chlorine found in the bottle of bleach that you use to sanitize the toilet. Surprised? from
hubpages.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by notimportant

The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.
Notice how they add "at current levels of consumption" into all of their statements, I just read the Wikipedia page on this and every time they say "it's safe" it's followed by "at current levels of consumption". That makes it plainly obvious that there is indeed undesirable effects at certain dosages. And you know how much soft drink some people drink right? Furthermore, it's slow acting because it's consumed in such small doses - but over time those small dosages can build onto large problems for your brain and body (denied obviously by the mainstream). But I've known too many people, and heard too many stories, to believe accounts of those long term effects are lies. The reason it's so hard to get rid of, is because it's so hard to actually show it causes damage, most people have no instant reaction to it - it's only over long periods of time with consistent consumption that the poison can take effect, but then they say something else caused it. It can kill ants almost instantly, but humans are a lot stronger and more resistant.

Also, here's some food for thought...

Aspartame was not approved until 1981, in dry foods. For over eight years the FDA refused to approve it because of the seizures and brain tumors this drug produced in lab animals. The FDA continued to refuse to approve it until President Reagan took office (a friend of Searle) and fired the FDA Commissioner who wouldn't approve it. Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes was appointed as commissioner. Even then there was so much opposition to approval that a Board of Inquiry was set up. The Board said: "Do not approve aspartame". Dr. Hayes OVERRULED his own Board of Inquiry.

www.dorway.com...
So who still thinks the safety of this chemical is "clear cut"?

reply to post by Amaterasu

Not sure whether you had your tongue planted in your cheek here or not.
Oh, no, I'm sure he was perfectly serious...just look up his post history. You'll see an array of "you're all crazy conspiracy nut job" posts.

edit on 16-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The people I know who drink diet soda are blissfully unaware. When I bring up the health risks, they just kind of shrug their shoulders and pop another can of cancer juice. After all I am just another crazy conspiracy nut.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0ba140868c6.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by Pimander
Being fat increases the likelihood of developing cancer too, so drinking the sugary alternative to aspartame is also harmful. The better option is to drink water and small amounts of fruit juice.

As for banning Aspartame, there are other additives that cause you damage. For a start salt (NaCl) is a major contributing factor in heart disease - the biggest killer in the US and UK. They add too much salt to virtually every processed food. Surely that is a bigger problem?

Nope. 60+ percent higher risk with aspartame. I think it's like 7% higher risk because of the salt. After all. Salt is a necessary component of Our life.

Nope what? The better option is to drink water and juice than soda. And by all means ban aspartame as it is harmful but 60% higher what?

You're comment on salt makes no sense. Here is an extract from a meta-analysis of studies of salt intake and disease. A meta-analysis is a statistical study which combines the results of many studies.

Salt intake, stroke, and cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of prospective studies

Discussion

This meta-analysis shows unequivocally that higher salt intake is associated with a greater incidence of strokes and total cardiovascular events. Our systematic review identified 13 relevant and suitable studies published from 1996 to 2008. These studies provided evidence from 170 000 people contributing overall more than 10 000 vascular events.

Cardiovascular diseases are the major cause of death among people aged over 60 and second among those aged 15-59. According to the World Health Organization, 62% of all strokes and 49% of coronary heart disease events are attributable to high blood pressure.27 The direct causal relation between levels of dietary salt intake and blood pressure at the population level has also been recognised.1 28 29 Given the graded causal relation between blood pressure and cardiovascular disease, beginning at around 115 mm Hg systolic pressure,30 it is reasonable to expect considerable benefit on the rate of cardiovascular disease from a reduction in salt intake
Stratzullu et al. (2009). Salt intake, stroke, and cardiovascular disease: meta-analysis of prospective studies. British Medical Journal.

I'm not spouting rubbish mate.

"Reducing dietary salt is one of those rare interventions that has a huge health benefit and actually saves large amounts of money. At a time when so much public debate has focused on the costs of health care for the sick, here is a simple remedy, already proven to be feasible in other countries," said Lee Goldman, MD, MPH, senior author, executive vice president for health and biomedical sciences and dean of the faculties of health sciences and medicine at Columbia University.
www.sciencedaily.com...

This is a serious problem because salt is added to practically all processed foods. Its almost impossible to avoid excessive salt consumption..

"It's clear that we need to lower salt intake, but individuals find it hard to make substantial cuts because most salt comes from processed foods, not from the salt shaker," Bibbins-Domingo said. "Our study suggests that the food industry and those who regulate it could contribute substantially to the health of the nation by achieving even small reductions in the amount of salt in these processed foods." The New York City Department of Public Health and other state and local municipalities nationally have seen salt as an important target for regulation.
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roystun
reply to post by lilygotsilly

Splenda, or sucralose, is made by beginning with a molecule of true and natural sugar. Three hydroxyl groups, or atoms that are composed of hydrogen and oxygen, are removed. These are then substituted with three atoms of chlorine.

Yep, it's the same chlorine found in the bottle of bleach that you use to sanitize the toilet. Surprised? from
hubpages.com...

I'm not. It gives me stomach cramps. I only tried it five or six times - and never again.

More evil, I tell you what.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

The difference is: if you were to consume a small portion of salt each week, it would be a lot safer than consuming a small portion of aspartame each week. Because salt isn't a poison. Anything can be bad for a person in excessive amounts, even water. But I totally understand what you are getting at, excessive salt intake is a major health concern.

edit on 16-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz

Not sure whether you had your tongue planted in your cheek here or not.
Oh, no, I'm sure he was perfectly serious...just look up his post history. You'll see an array of "you're all crazy conspiracy nut job" posts.

Does he think he'll win converts here? Where we deny ignorance? Ah, the poor chap(lette).

Ah well, some are awesomely blind.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

A large amount of salt intake is certainly not good for you. Does it cause hypertension, The clips that you provided suggests a tenuous link between heart attack, blood pressure and salt. The problem with this type of analysis is that it does not provide the full picture. We don't know how many of the heart attack victim smoked, took medication that had blood pressure as a side effect. What there actual salt intake was. Although I do not say that salt was not a contributry factor I do say the study is incomplete.
Its science and the global warming scam all over again.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Being fat increases the likelihood of developing cancer too, so drinking the sugary alternative to aspartame is also harmful. The better option is to drink water and small amounts of fruit juice.

As for banning Aspartame, there are other additives that cause you damage. For a start salt (NaCl) is a major contributing factor in heart disease - the biggest killer in the US and UK. They add too much salt to virtually every processed food. Surely that is a bigger problem?

Nope. 60+ percent higher risk with aspartame. I think it's like 7% higher risk because of the salt. After all. Salt is a necessary component of Our life.

Nope what? The better option is to drink water and juice than soda. And by all means ban aspartame as it is harmful but 60% higher what?

To the risks involved with salt. Sorry, I failed to be clear. I agree that water and a bit of juice is optimal. If you watched the footage, the risk of cancer development was 60+% higher in those who consumed aspartame. For developing heart issues, a high salt intake increases your risks about (IIRC) 7%. It may be as much as 15% - and I am misremembering. But it surely wouldn't be 60+%. I would have sat up and taken notice - for sure!

And no, I won't dispute that salt contributes to heart issues. Just saying its contribution to RISK is far less.
edit on 2/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: typo

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

If you watched the footage, the risk of cancer development was 60+% higher in those who consumed aspartame.
Well, where does that information come from (besides this video)? Because if that's the correct...the Wikipedia page for the Aspartame Conspiracy requires a massive update...the whole thing has nothing but how safe it is, under the section about cancer it says something along the lines of "all research has concluded that there is absolutely no correlation between cancer and aspartame consumption".

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

A large amount of salt intake is certainly not good for you. Does it cause hypertension, The clips that you provided suggests a tenuous link between heart attack, blood pressure and salt. The problem with this type of analysis is that it does not provide the full picture. We don't know how many of the heart attack victim smoked, took medication that had blood pressure as a side effect. What there actual salt intake was. Although I do not say that salt was not a contributry factor I do say the study is incomplete.

Thank you for that. I wasn't going to argue the "salt causes heart attacks" issue because I suspected an argument might come forth, and I didn't want to derail the thread too much.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz

If you watched the footage, the risk of cancer development was 60+% higher in those who consumed aspartame.
Well, where does that information come from (besides this video)? Because if that's the correct...the Wikipedia page for the Aspartame Conspiracy requires a massive update...the whole thing has nothing but how safe it is, under the section about cancer it says something along the lines of "all research has concluded that there is absolutely no correlation between cancer and aspartame consumption".

I guess the ATS staff need to answer where from. (I think they mentioned in the clip...)

Never ever take Wikipedia - where moneyed interests can have someone sitting around making sure all revisions meet the "We're So Great" benchmark - as any sort of gospel. You can bet that's all corporate propaganda.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You can say exactly the same about research on aspartame or the studies of any other any other additive. High blood pressure (hypertension) is KNOWN to cause cardiovascular disease. High salt intake is KNOWN to cause hypertension.

I am a qualified Pharmacologist who has conducted research on disease by the way.
edit on 16/2/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Sorry. I'll ignore any more comments about salt so you can discuss aspartame!

I was trying to put it in context with other additives not derail, but some people just seem to want to argue with me?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have to thank AboveTopSecret for first making me aware of the dangers of consuming it. Been off of Aspartame for more then a week now and feel much better about it.

I was surprised that there seems to be a large consciousness to it! I guess I was behind the times.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Sorry. I'll ignore any more comments about salt so you can discuss aspartame!

I was trying to put it in context with other additives not derail, but some people just seem to want to argue with me?

I won't argue. [smile] Not a problem.

Just saying that aspartame, if this report is valid, clearly has far greater risks involved than overconsumption of salt. In fact, you have a better than even chance of having issues, and THAT's intolerable.
edit on 2/16/2011 by Amaterasu because: dumbtype

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Thank you so much for the kind words about the show.

I'm writing to post the side effects list we've researched while in pre-production for the show. I've also included a current sheet detailing the sodas, or pop depending on your geographic location, that have aspartame in the ingredient list. Thanks for watching

Side Effects
Products

edit on 16-2-2011 by ATSmediaPRO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

Loved the video a job well done. Just my 2 cents on the issue. I have an Aunt Roxanne who for years and years in my childhood drank Pepsi Light (they don't make it anymore) she suffers from multiple sclerosis and is being treated by a physician. She now lives on Diet Pepsi because he (the doctor) tells her the caffiene helps stimulate the nerve endings. I think these diet drinks for years on end have exacerbated her symptoms and I feel he is not being completely honest here. Anyone else here who can chime in on the same type of situation ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join