It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do i wake up mom and dad?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You might also admit that you are scared and need someone to talk with, just to have dialogue. Not to try to manipulate them into "seeing". There is nothing wrong with that.

This is scary stuff.

I'm around 40, and I still get scared sometimes. And Yes, I try to get my dad entered in the discussion, we seek answers from those we trust.

I will tell you this, he had known about the "cabal" since an early age, and never put much thought into it. Now I seemed to have done what you did. Now he reads stuff all the time. He seems a little more depressed.

I feel responsible somewhat, I rocked his world a bit much.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

Yes, these things have been happening for THOUSANDS of years, maybe more i cannot say.
But here is the advantage we have over our ancestors, we have the internet.
I can know almost immediately what a man in france had for breakfast or what he is thinking.
Knowledge travels faster via the internet, if we see atrocities happening all over the world, we can identify them as what they are, they are epidemic that we need to find a cure for.
If King George could have known what was going on in the Americas immediately, "We the people" would be speaking english!!
wth

Knowledge is power, faster knowledge is a force multiplier!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fixedworld

Network features that are 'old hat' to many ATS members might be useful in introducing your parents to some alternative ideas........ such as (don't laugh) some of the shows on the History Channel....... although I'd personally avoid UFO Hunters, as sometimes they come off as looking too hard for something that ultimately ends up being mostly unsubstantiated (IMO). You could express an interest in history, and perhaps suggest some of the Decoded series, or even Ancient Aliens can be thought-provoking. I wouldn't start with 9/11 conspiracy, unless your sense of your parents is that they already have questions.

As others have expressed in this thread, if a person phrases ideas in absolutes (the news is all lies!) that tends to challenge others' perceptions too radically -- not to mention being unprovable -- and sometimes results only in causing an abrupt rejection of your ideas. Take it easy, introduce ideas, and it might help to have peripheral documentation that asserts your point-of-view, as that might demonstrate to your parents that you aren't just jumping onto a conspiracy bandwagon, but that you've thought it out and researched.

It rarely hurts to indicate that you have questions and don't pretend to know all the answers. Good luck!

ETA: several of my friends and a couple of family members have warmed up to some previously off-putting ideas -- or at least grown willing to discuss them -- from our common denominator of survival ideas. Survivalists used to be considered 'fringe' by many, and these days, those homesteading/survival notions are far more mainstream and acceptable. Survival ideas/procedures lead very easily to other related notions.

One final suggestion: People often don't like to be told they are 'asleep' and especially react poorly to being termed as "sheeple". I personally really dislike the word. It also is irritating to me to have someone tell me "wake up!", as it usually just indicates that they are possibly more intrenched in an idea or belief than I am. Sometimes it seems to mean that they have full belief in the idea, whereas I still have questions and am not convinced. I'd avoid the 'wake up' when talking with your parents/friends.
edit on 15/2/11 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Here's one for that category that popped up on the boards again recently.

Hosted by Charlton Heston none the less, very non threatening.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

I think that's a great example! I know that my mother would pay rapt attention to a video or tv program detailing the fine intricacies of mixing tile grout -- if Charlton Heston was doing it.

Along the lines of that video though...... I agree. And really, even though I consider mself fairly well versed in many CT arenas, the truth is that I learn something interesting for almost everything I see, whether I agree with it or not. I'm now going to watch the rest of the video you posted.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Hmmm, while I appreciate your intent, my experience has been telling them things and getting a response of "what can you do, why let it bother you?" I used to get so frustrated because I wanted my loved ones to see what was really going on in the world. I found my self becoming a Danny Downer, bringing up tragedy and conspiracy at every gathering. "Did you know....?" Then when politics rears it's ugly head in the matter, well that takes it to another level. As others have mentioned, you cannot force anything upon them, but rather plant a seed and/or live the example. They are of a whole different mindset, and looking back, I can appreciate their unwillingness to take on too much awareness.
That being said, I was able to bring up a red pill subject and when I described it before watching it, I did not try and say "you gotta see this, you won't believe it!!" I just mentioned how interesting it was and wanted their take on it. it was very revealing and I could see my Father's eyes begin to open, and this doc really made him think a bit.
The doc is Noam Chomsky's Manufactured Consent and it deals with, well basically what it says, how TV manufactures consent and is owned by fewer and fewer entities. Here are a couple o links, the Stagevu has no commercials and the HULU one does.
stagevu.com...
www.hulu.com...
Trailer

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fixedworld

As a parent, as an adult, a wife to a husband who would think I was nuts for even visiting a site like this..

I would keep it to yourself. If you see an opportunity open up to stick your toe in the water then do so but with caution.

At your age, your parents would be concerned about what these "crazy" people are putting into your head.

First off, not everything you read on the internet is fact. Is there corruption in politics? Absolutely! Are they trying to brainwash us? Possibly. Are they mind controlling us? I doubt it, but you never know unless you see it with your own eyes.

When you visit a site like this, do so with an open mind. Do not take everything you read as an absolute truth and question where the person reporting got their info.

If the $h*t does ever hit the fan, you have the information to protect yourself and to see past the lies. I would be inclined to think that if something like that happened...well you wouldn't have to wake your parents up, they would see for themselves.

seriously, I wouldn't go around talking about this stuff with just anyone, people really will think you are nuts and treat you differently. Heck you could even end up siting in a psychologist's office because your parents may think you to be harmful.

Just relax, you could live to be 80 and never see a single thing happen in your life that would remotely come close to anything you read about. Or something could happen tomorrow!

Just be a kid, be carefree and enjoy your childhood...there is plenty of time for worry when you are an adult!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wiggleworm

Thanks for the kind words, but once again i am 23 and have been awake for alot of years
this thread was meant for new and young awakened.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
start by telling them a race of inter planetary beings, called reptilians, have taken over the worlds government and that they are trying to enslave the human race to feed on their astro energy.

after your mom and dad slap the silliness out of you, you'll be the one waking up.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helgas2011
Please can people recommend any good documentarys to watch?
I'm still a student and must learn myself before trying to convince others lol

Helgas

1) zeitgeist
2)Any of Alex Jones Doc's
3) david Icke "Infinite Love is the only Truth, all else is an Illusion"

There are many, many more but these will get you started...Good Luck.....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Well, this is my personal opinion.

Coming across hidden and newfound truths can be very shocking, mind boggling and exciting. When I woke up, the very first thought I had to myself was; "hey, why not share this with everyone I know!" So far I've come across about 5 people that fully understands the knowledge I try to expose to them. And just a few others began to awaken after the seed was planted. The rest; I wish I didn't spend so much time trying to wake them. Seriously, I didn't badger them, but I only attempted to plant the seed of discovering the truth. Some people are open to this stuff as naturally as you and I are. Some are just hardwired into the MSM's way of thinking and culture creating. With that being said, it's really not your responsibility to wake up anyone but yourself. There is so much more knowledge out there that we have to discover. Why waste valuable time saving those who reject you and don't want to be exposed to the truth? I know you love your parents. However, there should be a line you draw. Plant the seed and thats the line. If the planted information doesn't grow into a curiosity of why things are they way they are, then don't cross that line. Just let it go. After all, everyone isn't meant to be conscious. Some are here for the purpose of being oblivious.
edit on 15-2-2011 by sixneuproele because: A few Typos.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wiggleworm

Yours was -- in my opinion -- the best advice I have come across in this thread, as it pertains to the OP. As you said, should the occasion arise, tread carefully and gently.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
those that are meant to know will know

second line

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316

Originally posted by Helgas2011
Please can people recommend any good documentarys to watch?
I'm still a student and must learn myself before trying to convince others lol

Helgas

1) zeitgeist
2)Any of Alex Jones Doc's
3) david Icke "Infinite Love is the only Truth, all else is an Illusion"

There are many, many more but these will get you started...Good Luck.....

Thanks will check these out

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

1) There's a link here to a website that debunks the movie zeitgeist. I don't know if it's covered the third movie as it only recently came out

Zeitgeist the movie debunked

As I said on the main page, some things are true, such as that the zodiac exists and that Horus was an Egyptian god, so I will not touch things like this. I should note that just because it contains grains of fact, does not make the movie factual

2) Here are some links to a website debunking Alex Jones's DVDs

3) Here's a link to a thread on ATS regarding the video debunking David Icke

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Lol I have not watched them yet but thanks for the counter argument,I class myself as a critical thinker so this all helps with my personal ideas of this crazy world
All the best helgas

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thank you. I do apologize to the OP! The original post made it sound like you were a kid trying to wake your parents up, then I saw another reply in there somewhere that made reference to 15!

I have talked to my own parents about subjects in the past year that I would not have dreamed about doing 10 years ago. However, 10 years ago was a very different life from today. I started off by telling my parents (individually, one on one) about a dream I had, did not give full details (sticking toe in water), then based on their reaction is how I decided if I wanted to go further or not.

To my surprise, my parents had stories of their own!

There are people that are in my life that I would absolutely NOT even mention anything remotely spiritually,politically,conspiracy-debatable subjects to. Family members who I have a good relationship with but because I know how they stand from comments they have made, revealing my interests in this subject would completely ruin that relationship.

I hope that made sense.

Like someone else mentioned, if you come on strong, you risk sounding like you are part of a new age cult, preaching and shoving your religion onto someone who has their own beliefs. Baby steps!

A suggestion on how to break the ice, pick a current event in the news, put a small consipiracy spin on it and see how it goes. Ask theoretical questions like: "Mom, Dad, if something like the events in Egypt were to happen here, what would you do? where would you go?" It's a pretty open ended question and gets the mind thinking.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I remember once I convinced my parents of lies in the media and their response was "so what" - they just want to go to work, watch tv, and have as least stress as possible until retirement. We are a fringe community, out of the billions of regular people.
'
edit on 22-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join