It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creative Commons Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Can you use your own work posted at TAN for commercial purposes? (ie blog or E-book)

If so, are proper links still required to the original here at ATS?

I cant seem to find the CC license info on individual post or threads, can you point them out?

edit on 14-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
anybody?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Not my area of expertise. Might be an idea to go and speak directly to a moderator, a list of which should be easy enough to find. If they havent the information to hand, then they will be able to find it for you without too much hassle.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I guess this would be the relevant part of the T&C's but I can;t decipher what it means in relation to your question

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

18) DMCA Enforcement: By posting on these domains, you grant TAN the right to seek enforcement and legal remedy for any and all discovered usage violations falling under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and the Creative Commons License. Remedy in such cases, will place a priority on proper attribution of you as the author and a link-back to your post (or posts), rather than removal. For more information about our DMCA policy and how to file a DMCA takedown notice, please see our DMCA Policy Page.

Terms and conditions thread

Wish I could help more, I'm sure a mod can answer or maybe SO himself if your lucky

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Thanks. It's a slippery slope. It seems to be relinquishing all exclusive copyrights to material from other sources that you bring in.

Then in the ATS LEGAL it say's:

These usage rights do not apply to any commercial use of the content found on TAN websites, and such use is strictly prohibited without prior authorization from TAN management

So can you use portions of your own work for commercial?

If I write anything, it is bound to include portions without even meaning to.

edit on 14-2-2011 by timewalker because: duh

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm no lawyer but it only says "exclusive" rights, it does not say you relinquish ownership of your work nor does it restrict how you use your own work elsewhere. You simply cannot dictate to them how they can use your work and you cannot use stuff not submitted by you for commercial purposes. I think.
edit on 14-2-2011 by quackers because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I'd say that's a pretty good synopsis. Once you post it here, you relinquish exclusive rights. You can still do whatever you want with your own material, The Above Network can do whatever it wants with material posted here.

top topics

join