It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85,000 Hens Killed When Coop Collapses Because Of Heavy Snow.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

HARTFORD, Connecticut — Agriculture officials say the collapse of a farm building because of heavy snow has killed 85,000 egg-laying hens.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This is just another example of how an increase in extreme weather events is going to take a severe toll on the food supply. These were egg-laying hens and this will mean a huge expense for the company to be able to replace the hens. I'm only speculating,but this could actually put them out of business or force them to sell or merge with another egg producer.

Expect to see poultry costs shoot up due this and other problems cropping up in this industry. Everyone remembers the recent massive egg recall in America. And back in December,Japan had to cull 23,000 chickens suspected of having bird flu. The food supply is in serious trouble,folks.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Finally! 85,000 birds die and we have an actual explanation.......snow

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
little catastrophes and bad news happen every day. no need to blow things out of proportion. those 85,000 birds took it on the chin; none of THEM were running around clucking "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I like scrambled eggs.

I wonder if they will still try and sell these poor birds?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I like scrambled eggs.

I wonder if they will still try and sell these poor birds?

According the article,the birds were all incinerated. It's doubtful they are usable after such an event.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Unless you're KFC
then BFD
(at least I didn't ask who gives a cluck)

Yes, I created an account just to say that.

But really nature just stepped in to put them out of their misery. They were 'poor birds' before they died, not after.

Besides, your local grocery stores probably throw away that many unsold dead chickens in a month just because they're past their expiration date.

I recommend watching Frontline - Modern Meat, or Earthling. That'll give some perspective on industrial meat production.
It makes me want to eat less meat. Then again, it makes me want to go out and kill something, eat it, and take a moment to appreciate it. Which is sicker -- that or buying my meat in a grocery store?

On that note, I probably shouldn't open another beer. 'Nite.
edit on 4-2-2011 by bojangles because: Elaboration through inebriation and a little bit of oratory m... um.. anyway

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon
According the article,the birds were all incinerated. It's doubtful they are usable after such an event.

"Precooked".

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
little catastrophes and bad news happen every day. no need to blow things out of proportion. those 85,000 birds took it on the chin; none of THEM were running around clucking "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

I understand your perspective however,if you step back and look at things from a wider view,I think you'll see a more disturbing pattern emerging. And I don't think 85,000 hens is anything to sneeze at.

new topics

top topics

join