It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of two halves! Map shows most of Northern Hemisphere is covered in snow and ice.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I think the point he, and other commentators in the media and on here, are trying to make is that the snow is widespread and extending to much lower latitudes than we would normally expect to see.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by woogleuk

The top of Scotland is always covered in snow in the winter too, it's a cold cold place, all of those countries are cold and it's the winter and it's snowing,,

Well its not snowing here in England, in-fact we have had quite a mild January compared to the last. We only had snow in December here.

As for America, the last time there see a snow storm of this magnitude was back in the 1950's, so its not something thats going to be seen every year. Hence why i found the image in the op of interest!!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

The lowest latitude I can see more or less is Turkey and Istanbul is famous for it's winter snow, Turkey is covered in SKi resorts,

OP, I didn't mean to offend you personally as your OP was in fact quite interesting but someone needs to point out to people talking about climate change and ice ages that the Northern hemisphere being covered in snow in Jan / Feb is not that unusual

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

That is a response to your OP it just happens to be one you don't like because I don't think it snowing in Alaska is an amazing event

I am fully aware that Alaska has snow all the time. Like i have said, it is the ENTIRE image that i find fascinating as i have never seen a view of the Earth like this before. Only by watching documentaries.

But this is a real image.

OP, I didn't mean to offend you personally as your OP was in fact quite interesting but someone needs to point out to people talking about climate change and ice ages that the Northern hemisphere being covered in snow in Jan / Feb is not that unusual

Thank you, i did feel a little offended. And i agree about the hole climate change/ice age stuff. I know that all the places that are covered in snow on this map do get snow, its not unusual.

I think what makes people think about ice age and climate change is seeing nearly all of the Northern Hemisphere covered in snow all at the same time.

edit on 3/2/11 by boo1981 because: another reply

Im done for tonight, school run in the morning. Night all
edit on 3/2/11 by boo1981 because: Nighty night

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

That was a great article you linked boo1981, thank you for sharing it.

I really appreciate and enjoy being taught new information, and it is nice to see good data being presented.

I did not realize the snow had blanketed such vast areas of Asia, it's quite fascinating.

I will be sharing this article with my friends, thank you for spreading knowledge.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I live in Pennsylvania, half a mile inland from lake Erie and this is a typical winter for us. I will say, however, that I've noticed that many places in the country, not close to hear, are having an unusual winter. It's not interesting where I'm at but it sure is interesting to see that people that aren't used to this are getting a taste of what I get for approximately 4 months a year.

The Picture that the OP posted does look like what scientist theorized the N. hemisphere looked like a few hundred years ago during the mini-ice age.
edit on 3-2-2011 by kimish because: I had to take the last sentence from the last paragraph and move it to the first paragraph

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thank you for your kind words and support. I found the image very interesting and wanted to share it.
Glad you have enjoyed my thread

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Does this mean massive flooding worldwide come Spring?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
Does this mean massive flooding worldwide come Spring?

Good question, it could do but I'm no expert. Will have a little look around for some data on worst winters within the US and the UK.

Here we are, a record of the worst winters in the US: www.epicdisasters.com...

1.The Great Blizzard of 1888 (the Great White Hurricane)
March 11 - 14, 1888
Eastern United States

Snowfall of 40 to 50 inches was recorded over New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut as sustained winds created drifts as much as 50 feet tall. Total deaths are thought to have exceeded 400. Most of the cities on the eastern seaboard were shut down for days, if not weeks.

The Storm of the Century
March 11 - 15, 1993
Eastern United States

This massive cyclonic storm had arms that at one point reached from Canada to Central America. More than 300 were killed.

Alabama and Georgia were hit by as much as six inches of snow. Areas further south received up to 16 inches of rain. Tornadoes and thunderstorms broke out all over the South.

In the northeast, record low temperatures were accompanied by large amounts of snow; some affected areas received as much as 3.5 feet, while drifts piled as high as 35 feet. Storm surges as high as twelve feet were recorded.

The Great Appalachian Storm of 1950
Eastern United States
November 24 - 30, 1950

Heavy winds, rain and blizzard conditions followed an extratropical cyclone as it moved through the Eastern United States. Deaths totaled 353, and US insurance companies ended up paying more for damages than for any previous storm. Record cold was recorded in Florida (24 degrees F), Georgia (3 degrees F), Kentucky (-2 degrees F) among others.

The Great Lakes Storm of 1913 (The Big Blow)
Nov 7 - 10, 1913
Midwestern US and Ontario Canada

Also known as the Freshwater Fury and the White Hurricane, the Big Blow may have been the worst US winter storm on record. It killed more than 250, primarily from ships that were sink. Five of the twelve ships downed by the storm were never found.

Caused by the convergence of two storm fronts over the Great Lakes’ relatively warm waters, the storm generated 60-90 mph winds that lasted as long as 16 hours. Wind driven waves rose to 35 feet and whiteouts covered the region. The cyclonic system, with its counterclockwise winds, was, in fact, a hurricane.

The storm was of the same type—a November gale—that famously sank the Edmund Fitzgerald in 1975.

The Schoolhouse Blizzard (aka The Schoolchildren’s or Children’s Blizzard)
January 12, 1888
Great Plains States

This blizzard gets its name from the many schoolchildren who died when trapped in one room school houses. More than 230 are said to have died.

The tragedy of this storm was created by its suddenness, and by the warm conditions that immediately preceded it. Lulled into complacency by a balmy day, people ventured from their houses to do chores and head to town. Many were improperly dressed. Then, an arctic front crashed into moisture laden air from the Gulf of Mexico, bringing sudden drops of temperature to as low as -40 F, as well as large amounts of snow.

This was the first of two major blizzards in 1888.

More can be found in the above link.

And here is the link to British winters: www.netweather.tv...

1616: Hot summer with drought similar to that of 1612

1620-21: Frost fair held on the Thames

1626: Dry and hot summer

1635: Severe winter, Thames froze over

1636: Severe drought, rainless for months (reputedly)

1638: Not linked so much to winter, but tornadoes were reported in the South West.

1644: Late January snowfall, lasted 8 days

1648: Interestingly was very wet, and the summer was described as "worse than some of the past winters" ie. It was cool and wet!

1648-49: Thames froze over

1657-58: Beginning a period of long lying snow, lasting from December through until March!

1658: A 'wild stormy night' when roofs were blown down, as well as Chimneys. Noted as the night Oliver Cromwell died.

1662-67: 3 of 5 winters in this period were described as cold, with severe frosts. Skating was launched on the Thames, for the pleasure of King Charles 2nd.

1664-65: Reputedly the coldest day ever in England, with a severe frost lasting about 2 months.

1665: In November, a deep depression was recorded, possibly the lowest recorded in London, of 931 millibars! Still stands today?

1666-67: Thames covered in ice

1669: A cold year in regards to the milder ones proceeding it. Thames froze over, again.

1674: March snowfall, lasted for 13 days, described as ' The thirteen drifty days' . Most of the sheep perished, unfortunatley.

1676: June exceptionally hot (notice the correlation with 1976! lol)

1677: Thames froze, again! Becoming a regular occurance.

1680-81: Winter was severe, with lots of Easterly winds. The Easterlies brought dry air.

1683-84: Now when people think of 'The Big One' in terms of winters, they think of 1947,1963 etc. But there was one winter that easily surpassed both! This winter! Mid December saw the 'great frost' start in the UK and Central Europe. The Thames was frozen all the way up to London Bridge by early January 1684. The frost was claimed to be the longest on record, and probably was. It lasted kept the Thames frozen for 2 months, it froze as deep as 11 inches. Near Manchester, the ground had frozen to 27 inches, and in Somerset, to an astonishing 4 feet! This winter was the coldest in the CET series, at -1.2! (1739-40 was -0.4) This winter was described by R.D. Blackmore, in his book 'Lorna Doone'. In mid February there was a thaw.

1688-89: Long and severe frosts, Thames froze over.

1690-99: 6 out of 10 of the winters in this period were described as severe, judging by their CET. Meaning their average temperatures for December, January, February and March were below 3c. 1694-95 heralded deep snow, with falls of continual snow affecting London. This lasted for 5 weeks, along with the freezing of the Thames. This heavy snow and frost theme, continued for a good long while. In fact 1695 is believed to have been one of the coldest years ever recorded, the severe snowy winter ended around mid April, at which time arctic sea ice had extended around the entire coast of Iceland! 1695-96 saw -23c (?) in the UK. A severe winter. The autumn of 1697 was very cold, with snow persisting, and ice forming. The winter of 1697-98 was severe, with a CET of about 1c. Snow and ice built up. Ice on coasts built up to 8 inches in parts. Spring very cold. Generally the late 1600s were very cold, and people probably were affected very badly by this. The cold probably brought famine to the poor, as livestock perished, and crops failed. And without central heating, it must have been unbearable in parts. The 'Little Ice Age' lived up to its name. The final few years weren't as bad, but harvests were still ruined generally as wet weather took over from the cold.

The 1600s were generally a period of harsh severe winters, and cool/wet springs/summers. At points the Thames was frozen for months, although I think it would have been wider then (?) and shallower (?) so easier to freeze when the temperatures were right

More can be found in the above link.

If you look between 1690-1699 there seemed to be a mini ice age her in Britain. So maybe what we are seeing is only a glimpse of how bad it can really get. Lets hope we don't get a repeat of 1690-1699!!

edit on 4/2/11 by boo1981 because: Add link to article found

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by schlub

Thank you thank you thank you!

I cannot believe people still do not understand the concept..

Alas, for them, they would rather die than admit being in error...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
So much for global warming then...

Yep.. You nailed it. Boy they sure almost had us huh!

By golly, I rekon if I leave my refrigerator door open, it will get colder inside ! They cant fool us smart ones any longer!!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Wow boo thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by purplemer

How can you call it a hoax, you can plainly see on that map that the whole of Scotland isn't covered, it's mostly the West of Scotland, I can see out of my window now that the south west is covered (great view over the solway firth), although here in Cumbria (England) there isn't any sign of it, except on the top of the fells/mountains.

i live in nw scotland, the map in unfair because it is a composite over time it is not a true representation in time. It shows little apart from the range of snow cover.
how about if i took sat images of it raining all over the world and put them all together, would it be fair for me to say omg the great flood is coming...

best wishes
kx

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by purplemer

i live in nw scotland, the map in unfair because it is a composite over time it is not a true representation in time. It shows little apart from the range of snow cover.
how about if i took sat images of it raining all over the world and put them all together, would it be fair for me to say omg the great flood is coming...

best wishes
kx

I think you have a good point, but I'm guessing that when they took these images then they would have been over a few days. Otherwise like you said you could make claim to something that is not true. Like you said a great flood or an ice age in this case.

All my intention was in this thread, was to share the image in the op that i found of interest. And to let people discuss it among themselves.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

twas a fine thread, thank you

kx

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here is the icy Earth from the Space Stations POV.....just grabbed it.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I posted this to:

Strange Weather - Is "The Day After Tomorrow" Coming True?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by CaptainIraq
started on 1/12/2006 @ 09:07 PM

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11df4067ff00.jpg[/atsimg]
chrismastrangelo.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10708c3473f4.jpg[/atsimg]
snrclimatecorner.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Here is the icy Earth from the Space Stations POV.....just grabbed it.

Thank you for the video link, looks beautiful.

reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Wow there some interesting images you have there.
Thank you for your input.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Thanks....I love watching the ISS live cameras...it puts things in a whole new perspective when you see that view...

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

dfdsfferoferokznzkhan

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join