It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel like I'm going to be sick!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes. I'm considering all of that.

reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...loam - i watched the clip... i'd be more concerned with the content of the audio (psycho child killer) then the visual of the shooting or the headless body -

It occurs to me that I don't even know what was said. I was so shocked by the imagery, I didn't remember anything else.

reply to post by Sly1one

Originally posted by Sly1one
addition: after watching the scene in question I admit that is pretty damn graphic for prime time TV. U don't usually even see content as graphic as that in R theater...

Exactly! I had no idea they would put something like that on broadcast television.

Is that something new?

reply to post by mutantgenius

How old is your child?

Did you see the clip?

Originally posted by mutantgenius
The world is not a nice place, there are some real life atrocities going on and if the next generation doesn't know or understand the world we live in nothing will ever change. They will become subservient to the state, they will not fight for social justice. They will be ignorant of the world around them and the suffering of the people of the world. Igorance is bliss, but its not always right.

Aside from my obvious ignorance relative to the issue of this thread, I think my posting history demonstrates I have somewhat of a clue.

There is an appropriate time and place for everything.

Showing a six year old the graphic detail of the full extent of misery found in the world isn't education, it's abuse.

edit on 28-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
We can't protect our children from everything, but its important that we take opportunities such as the one you came upon accidentally and use it to educate our children. To much TV tiime for young minds to be molded around isn't good. You handled it the best you could and at least you handled it. Doesn't phase most people. Good people even.......just desensitized.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

True, but there is a PERIOD of protection that we observe, just like there is a PERIOD of time where we try and keep magic alive for children with tales of Santa and the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy, etc. Kids will grow up...there's no need to force it on them. Exposing them to adult themes too early is likely responsible for many of the issues we see today, where 13 yr olds want babies, etc.

Kids are NOT adults, and shouldn't be treated as such...for their own good. (and the good of society).

reply to post by loam

You'd be surprised what is on broadcast tv these days. I still recommend using the controls on modern tv's to establish criteria you want your youngster exposed to. The tools are quite sophisticated these days, and are there to allow YOU the parent, to determine what your child watches.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Even though we almost never watch TV, I'm going to figure out how all of that works tonight.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck
I truly feel for you . I don't even care to watch things like that myself, can't stand war-movies.

Exactly like me, i would not watch that or play video games with that sort of stuff, cannot stand it.

The stuff people watch is absurd, and they laugh and say its meaningless, really, lol.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I once started a thread about the level of video game violence and how I was surprised by that....but never did I think that something like that could show up on broadcast tv...

Let me see if I can find the link.

EDIT:

Here is it: Harmless Entertainment?
edit on 28-1-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hehehe... I'm fine OP.

Yet... I must say... this is really overdrawn. A tad too wimpy, also...

Sort of like all men in America after the pussification era.

Find your bollocks and please move on!

You may just need them sometime.

edit on 28-1-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I know I am going to get ripped for this, but it was your own fault. The TV is way to dangerous for you and your wife to be using it as a "babysitter". If you are going to allow your child to watch TV(and why in the world would you?????), one of you should have been there with him. I repeat, this was poor parenting on the part of you and your wife. You should be aware of what your children are doing. You should be aware that some shows are wholly inappropriate for youngsters. So, this was a part of YOUR education.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Originally posted by Mayura
I must say... this is really overdrawn.

Point taken.

A tad too wimpy, also...

Dude! If your standard of masculinity is to watch what you enjoy watching, then I'll gladly accept the label.

Find your bollocks...You may just need them sometime.

I'm not concerned about my bollocks.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
I know I am going to get ripped for this, but it was your own fault. The TV is way to dangerous for you and your wife to be using it as a "babysitter". If you are going to allow your child to watch TV(and why in the world would you?????), one of you should have been there with him. I repeat, this was poor parenting on the part of you and your wife. You should be aware of what your children are doing. You should be aware that some shows are wholly inappropriate for youngsters. So, this was a part of YOUR education.

I mostly agree.

Because we rarely watch TV, I had no idea of the degree of the peril. I think that mitigates things just a bit.

Notwithstanding, lesson learned.

I rarely make mistakes twice.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Learning from your mistakes is excellent, carry on then and best of luck with your children.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ah, it's not what I've watched. It's how I react to stress and handle responsibility.

Know yourself and you will know the universe, they say...

I just noticed your a 'Subject Matter Expert' in Ranting! Allow me to remove myself from this thread.

Good day.
edit on 28-1-2011 by Mayura because: grammar

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Sorry for not reading all of the thread so far...

There must be an avenue for you to make an Official Complaint against the TV Channel who advertised Adult Content immediately after airing Family Content.

You don't have to be powerless.. so take your power back and use it for Good. Stand Up for Change, Complain Loudly, find others who support your Actions and continue to apply pressure in any way open to you legally.

Only when enough people stand up for change can change occur.

It has to start somewhere, so why not with You?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Okay, so I read the first page and the last...and I can't believe the way some people are attacking the OP. I mean really...do you spend your evening trolling the threads, looking for victims to attack?

To the OP: I have an 11 yr old and 15 yr old. They both enjoy the original CSI and we occasionally watch Bones. Typically, both of these shows have a who-dunit theme with silly, gross autopsy scenes where there is some fun sci-fi science and where they figure out the who/how/why. We don't watch quite as much tv as most in the states and there have been a few occasions where I thought they crossed the 'tv' line with their themes, and turned it off. For the most part, it hasn't been too bad (CSI Miami I wont allow, way too violent) and my kids clearly understand the difference between real and fake, etc.

HOWEVER...I am totally with you on this one. Even though I am someone that often watches the 'shoot-em-up' action rated R films, I was shocked by this scene. We had also been watching American Idol and when Bones came on next, I just left it since we sometimes watch it and nothing else was on. I simply couldn't believe that scene though. I think my son was out of the room and my daughters attention was on something else, so it wasn't until I gasped out loud at the exploding head that she looked up in time to see the headless body falling in slow motion.

The OP is not exaggerating. I don't care what any of you are saying in regards to that he shouldn't have left his child alone in front of the television. For cryin out loud! This was on regular tv, with regular local television programing. He shouldn't have had to worry about his young child watching something so gorry that you wouldn't normally even see it on a rated R movie. It was obscene and WAY over the line.

I understand your shock and you are justified. Don't beat yourself up though, you couldn't have known and it shouldn't have been allowed to air. You seem like a very reasonable, good parent and I am sure you have since handled talking with your child about it. I think once kids understand it is fake, they process it better. Doesn't make it okay, I know.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Wolverine can grow up too.

I'm not the one who gets off on watching real life murders.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Showing a six year old the graphic detail of the full extent of misery found in the world isn't education, it's abuse.

OK, well you might as well forget letting your son touch the internet any time soon. I am absolutely serious.
If you spend any decent amount of time on the internet, you will see far, FAR worse things. Freely available to anyone who made a typo, who actually it looked up, or even was tricked into viewing. I am not kidding. Please be aware I approve of your actions in almost every way, good parenting is hard to come by these days, but I have an important point to make here.

What you saw on TV was fake. Gory, yes. Shocking, maybe.
But a simulated headshot, on a public broadcasting crime drama TV show, is hardly the "full extent of the world's misery". My 62 year old mother and I are both avid viewers of the show (Bones), by the way. If you're not bothered by death and crime, it's actually a very interesting program - good characters, good story and poses a good deal of thought-provoking philosophical questions, as well. It is not all murder and forensics, the main drive is emotional development/issues everyday people face. But you have seen nothing yet.

You can complain (harsh wording only to prove a point, I do not disapprove of your actions) once you've seen torture, rape, disease, accidents, war and murder...oh, and those will be REAL.
Real depravity. Real humans treated like diseased animals, or much worse. An actual beheading. Maybe some old women ripped to pieces once a monster is done with them. Helpless animals torn apart alive and left to die on a fur farm in some third-world country, so a lady in Paris can have a nice coat... There's whole websites, networks, forums even, dedicated to the simple rush that disturbed individuals can obtain from watching humanity's very worst from the safety of their computer chair. Or simply to repulse those yet unaware or ignorant, for the amusement of a perverted college-kid.

I know I sound excessively cynical, but I truly know that with today's technology, hell on earth can be yours in a second with the click of a mouse. Absolutely. Whether you were looking for it or not. A serial killer's "collection", yours to absorb with a simple Google search. Also, if you feel the need to ask me why it is I know these things, I am a sort-of volunteer informer for law enforcement agencies - I work to find the darkest depths of human depravity, so that through my trauma, at least a little good can come of evil when the website is taken down, or the sick owners locked away.

Again, I'm sorry to have pointed all this out, but the world is far from a nice place, and the truth does hurt. Ignorance is bliss. Protecting your son was absolutely the right thing to do in my opinion, but I simply wanted to say that it's getting harder and harder to shut out reality these days.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I am in fact considering my options. I've thought about your post for a few days now, and while I do not enjoy exercises in futility, I also feel like I condne this if I do nothing.

reply to post by westcoast

Originally posted by westcoast
HOWEVER...I am totally with you on this one. Even though I am someone that often watches the 'shoot-em-up' action rated R films, I was shocked by this scene. We had also been watching American Idol and when Bones came on next, I just left it since we sometimes watch it and nothing else was on. I simply couldn't believe that scene though. I think my son was out of the room and my daughters attention was on something else, so it wasn't until I gasped out loud at the exploding head that she looked up in time to see the headless body falling in slow motion.

The OP is not exaggerating. I don't care what any of you are saying in regards to that he shouldn't have left his child alone in front of the television. For cryin out loud! This was on regular tv, with regular local television programing. He shouldn't have had to worry about his young child watching something so gorry that you wouldn't normally even see it on a rated R movie. It was obscene and WAY over the line.

I understand your shock and you are justified.

Thank you.

I have since shown the clip to several friends and none could believe it either. This level of graphic imagery is just not something I would have ever expected from broadcast tv.

reply to post by Baboosi

Originally posted by Baboosi

OK, well you might as well forget letting your son touch the internet any time soon. I am absolutely serious.

My son is only 6.

He barely reads compound sentences and spells phonetically.

The internet is not broadcast TV.

Originally posted by Baboosi
If you spend any decent amount of time on the internet, you will see far, FAR worse things. Freely available to anyone who made a typo, who actually it looked up, or even was tricked into viewing. I am not kidding.

I understand your point, but I spend hours a day on the internet and have rarely come across something so graphic.

Also, don't get me wrong. I am not one of those types that wants to legislate against 'offensive' material...and I understand that it is freely available.

But as a parent, I should have the choice to decide if...when...and how much of such material makes it into my home.

Now that I understand how far things have progressed on broadcast television, I will never make this same mistake twice.

I would have never imagined this could happen. Now I know better.

Other parents should know too.

edit on 2-2-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Yeah, 6 is a little young to be seeing stuff like that but you can't blame yourself.
But parents raise kids differently. My son is 16 as of oct '10 and since he was 13 he's been a member of documenting reality, a site that you know, shows dead people and murders and suicides and the like. One of our favorite mutual sites, actually. He's also been allowed to play xbox games like Call of Duty, Halo, etc since they came out. Course he's been glued to the games since he was about 8, lol. But that's kids for ya. Heck, I"M glued to the pc and fallout 3/nv 24/7 too (aside from work and all)
I realize that death, destruction, war and so on is a fact of life and my kid grew up knowing about it. I never really protected him or sugar coated life. He has known pretty much from 5th grade on that humanity sucks but there are some good folk in it too. He got that from school and watching news and so on.

I Just feel so awful that you're taking this soooooooo horribly. I guess it makes sense that he's only 6. Kids lose their innocence fast in life, sadly. My one brother when he was in 5th grade in the 80s, there were two twin girls in his class and one got pregnant. Times suck now a days. I feel for ya. I'm glad you're trying to raise him in a protected environment. Just try to break him into real life slowly so he's not shell shocked when he starts hanging out with the boys in high school and all. Best advice I can give.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Originally posted by sarra1833
...My son is 16 as of oct '10 and since he was 13 he's been a member of documenting reality, a site that you know, shows dead people and murders and suicides and the like. One of our favorite mutual sites, actually.

Honestly, I don't want to be offensive, but I have to ask why?

What do you get out of a site like that? And why would you let a 13 year old visit it?

I really don't understand this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm so sorry.

It's like navigating a mine field out there. It's hard to imagine it's not specifically meant to desensitize.

What I was immediately left with upon reading your account is that your intelligent, sensitive son knew that what he was seeing was wrong and he had the integrity and character to speak up.

Good on you for instilling in your child a sense of humanity and compassion.

It's because of this that I think it will be okay for him and you both. I do understand your sense of loss for him though, especially someone such as yourself who seems to find such joy in natural and peaceful things.

We are going through this, to an extent, with our own child. When we put our child in a parochial school it was because we wanted back up not typically found in public schools with instilling a sense of values and morality. What we forgot is that unfortunately the bible is replete with some pretty barbaric and horrific accounts (Oh the irony!) and we are frequently left wondering "What the hell were we thinking!?". I don't remember Sunday school being quite so in your face with violence and scary tales, at least not in the way it was presented to either myself or my husband. We do a lot of minimizing and back-peddling to make it not seem so harsh for tender ears.

reply to post by sarra1833

I just don't get any of that either.

But...to each his own.
edit on 3/2/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join