It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's TSA pat-downs joke infuriates ACLU

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Obama's TSA pat-downs joke infuriates ACLU

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON – During his third State of the Union address Tuesday night, President Barack Obama cracked a joke about TSA pat-downs – and earned an immediate rebuke from the ACLU.

Hailing the benefits of high-speed rail, the president jested that it would allow travelers to avoid being subject to the controversial airport pat-downs policy.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Now I know the ACLU ain't exactly well loved round these parts, but I have to say that I agree with them on this particular matter.

When the vast majority of Americans are speaking out against these endless grope-fests, molestations, and violations of their bodies and unlawful search and seizure criminality imposed against them, I don't think that Mr. Teleprompter 'funny man's' quip about this is as amusing as he and his Elitist goons think it is, nor is it something to be joking about in a SOTUS.

What it sends is yet ANOTHER message of what a joke he thinks WE are, and it is the equivalent of a another middle finger flipped up at the masses, who in these special-interest-serving puppeteers eyes, are absolutely meaningless, except of course when they want to BLEED them of more of their tax-dollars. Another 'cutesy' remark from yet another puppet prez, displaying the typical disdain they have for the 'peons' who voted for them.

Instead of making wisecracks about people (and the constitution) being violated, perhaps he should have addressed the problem and said he would work on fixing it, and restoring the ability of americans to fly from state to state without being sexually assaulted by the Chestor-The-Molester Brigade.

How bout them apples, Mr. "Hope & Change"?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Guess it was too soon. Reminds me of Bush looking for WMDs in the office. Open mouth, insert foot.

Being one of many who often find relief and release in joking and laughter in especially the most trying of times, and sometimes finding myself wishing I hadn't blurted something out, I can empathize with how and why this happened, Humor is tough to do without offending someone somehow.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure this kind of joking is appropriate coming from a leader of any sort. Leaders are representative of all the people and typically have a very wide audience, including not only their detractors and instacritics, who are always waiting to pounce, but more importantly the people who have some very real concerns. Any person in this sort of position needs to be a lot more careful than the average person about what he or she says and understandably held to a higher standard. Leave comedy to the comedians or for private moments. That's really best.

Now that being said too, I hope he says sorry and it's dropped soon though and that the ACLU and everyone will just simma down. We all have more pressing issues to attend to.

edit on 1/26/2011 by ~Lucidity because: ugh three typos!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
I don't think that Mr. Teleprompter 'funny man's' quip

It always amazes me that people use the fact that Obama uses a piece of technology against him. It's something EVERY president has used since it's been around and yet, Obama is the one people slam for it. It sounds like a second grade argument to me... It makes no sense whatsoever... Oh, well.

What it sends is yet ANOTHER message of what a joke he thinks WE are, and it is the equivalent of a another middle finger flipped up at the masses, who in these special-interest-serving puppeteers eyes, are absolutely meaningless.

Sounds like someone's offended. And what actually did he say?

"Within 25 years, our goal is to give 80 percent of Americans access to high-speed rail, which could allow you go places in half the time it takes to travel by car," Obama said. "For some trips, it will be faster than flying – without the pat-down."

Someone's offended at that? I gotta say, people are so sensitive these days! But I guess the politically correct thing for him to do would be to NOT show a sense of humor. Damn humor...

Sorry, I'm not offended and don't share the outrage.

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Guess it was too soon. Reminds me of Bush looking for WMDs in the office. Open mouth, insert foot.

I thought of that, too, but Bush's little lie sent hundreds of thousands of people to their deaths... Hardly comparable in my eyes. How many people have died of pat downs?

edit on 1/26/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Within 25 years, our goal is to give 80 percent of Americans access to high-speed rail, which could allow you go places in half the time it takes to travel by car," Obama said. "For some trips, it will be faster than flying – without the pat-down."

really some optimistic goal 25yrs
-how long did it take the Railroad companies to railroad through Americans land and homes under some good helpful free labor from our friends, and a phrase right of passage?

His joke I cant even acknowledge...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
They're spitting in your face! They're making fun of you, especially the tea party! Watch the news!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

What I'd lke to know, is why your source is so absurdly careless....in writing that last night's SOTU was President Obama's third such speech??

Doesn't speak well for their cognitive (and editing) abilites....

And, tempest in a teapot. ACLU has bigger fish to fry.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Sorry, I didn't see his middle finger directed at me, I found it assuming. Perhaps it was appropriate, but I had a chuckle.

Now the real funny thing to me is that this train will absolutely have security, I don't know if they will institute the pat down, but I bet they will maintain a scanner of some sort.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
From Source:

Hailing the benefits of high-speed rail, the president jested that it would allow travelers to avoid being subject to the controversial airport pat-downs policy.

Simply a lousy argument for "the benefits" of high-speed rail...

Which makes me wonder if the TSA will be deployed to high-speed rail if/when it comes to fruition--especially if there is some sort of "terror" or other attack on this type of transportation.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I don't think that Mr. Teleprompter 'funny man's' quip

Sounds like someone's offended. And what actually did he say?

"Within 25 years, our goal is to give 80 percent of Americans access to high-speed rail, which could allow you go places in half the time it takes to travel by car," Obama said. "For some trips, it will be faster than flying – without the pat-down."

Someone's offended at that? I gotta say, people are so sensitive these days! But I guess the politically correct thing for him to do would be to NOT show a sense of humor. Damn humor...

Sorry, I'm not offended and don't share the outrage.

edit on 1/26/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

when someone takes your rights away then Violates your personal space freedom and RIGHT against Illegal SEARCH and seizure. then jokes about it while giving a speech about some Fantasy that trains are going to create jobs and bring employment up and end a depression. and you dont get offended!?

you must like being thought of as corralled cattle.?

edit on 1/26/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Being one of many who often find relief and release in joking and laughter in especially the most trying of times,and sometimes finding myself wishing I hadn't blurted something out. So while I can empathize with how and why this happened, Humor is tough to do without offending someone somehow.

I have this nagging feeling that his speeches, including jokes, are written before-hand on a teleprompter. Doesn't sound like an accident. Sounds more like a failed attempt to seem like he's "with us".

Joking about getting a pat down doesn't mean you empathize mr. pres, it seems more like you're poking fun.

Damned politics.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is typical of elitist thinking in two ways.

1. The President: Making light of to what many of us is a crime against us and no laughing matter is just an attempt to teach people to essentially laugh at themselves and find humor in it. In other words grab a snickers bar because this policy isn't going away anytime soon.

Believe it or not this is a powerful persuasion tool because it's not that hard to take a powerful emotion, those who want to cry about this, and turn it on a dime to give ideally the same people the chance to laugh about it, while treating them like monkey see, monkey do, by getting other people to laugh about it.

The art of manipulation.

2. The ACLU is infuriated! Wow that's great, when they get angry they usually start filing a bunch of briefs in court giving what is often false hope to people who hope they win these lawsuits. But guess what happens when the ACLU doesn't win the lawsuit, well your civil liberties obviously haven't been violated that's what!

So it's just more of the same old dog and pony show of manipulation, false hope, and provides the illusion to some people that while they might not be sure what to do about it, or how to even go about trying, no need to worry, the ACLU is on it now!

You would think after all these years of lies, one debacle after another, and things always going from bad to worse with a little reprieve thrown in here or there for a few years to allow people the opportunity to catch their breath and siphon off their anger through a little false hope, people would stop playing this game and wake up to the giant sham our government is.

Snickers bar anyone?
edit on 26/1/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Well said.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
when someone takes your rights away then Violates your personal space freedom and RIGHT of Illegal SEARCH and seizure. then jokes about it while giving a speech about some Fantasy that trains are going to create jobs and bring employmen up. and you dont get offended!?

No one has taken my rights away. I do not have a right to fly. I do not have a right to fly without being searched. Flying is my choice. When we operate in a society, we have to make concessions for certain privileges. I can't drive without a license, yet this is not an invasion of my privacy. I cannot get a job without taking a drug test. I cannot buy a house without proving that I can pay for it. It's part of living in a free society. I don't HAVE to fly, drive, work or own a home, but if I CHOOSE to, there are things I have to do in return.

I choose not to fly. Freedom.

you must like being thought of as corralled cattle.?

I personally don't care if I am thought of as corralled cattle or screeching marmosets. People can think whatever they like.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Now I know the ACLU ain't exactly well loved round these parts, but I have to say that I agree with them on this particular matter.
That’s because most people react based on their party and ideological preferences, and don’t bother to think about what the purpose is behind ACLU’s actions. The people on the right bashed the ACLU when Bush was in office, now it’s the people on the left. That speaks volumes about how much people value their rights.

I think Obama’s comment was inappropriate, but there’s something else that needs to questioned here: if one accepts the premise that the TSA and their practices are necessary for people’s security when they fly, why wouldn’t the TSA be need for this transportation method? Terrorists won’t attack trains?

Just another sign that the TSA isn’t really there to actually provide security, just to pretend that they do and it works, while they trample on people’s rights and dignity.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by -W1LL
when someone takes your rights away then Violates your personal space freedom and RIGHT of Illegal SEARCH and seizure. then jokes about it while giving a speech about some Fantasy that trains are going to create jobs and bring employmen up. and you dont get offended!?

No one has taken my rights away. I do not have a right to fly. I do not have a right to fly without being searched. Flying is my choice. When we operate in a society, we have to make concessions for certain privileges. I can't drive without a license, yet this is not an invasion of my privacy. I cannot get a job without taking a drug test. I cannot buy a house without proving that I can pay for it. It's part of living in a free society. I don't HAVE to fly, drive, work or own a home, but if I CHOOSE to, there are things I have to do in return.

I choose not to fly. Freedom.

you might want to learn a little more about your rights, if youre american that is..

www.justiceprose.8m.com...

1) The Right to TRAVEL FREELY, UNENCUMBERED, and UNFETTERED is guaranteed as a RIGHT and not a mere privilege. That the Right to TRAVEL is such a BASIC RIGHT it does NOT even need to be mentioned for it is SELF-evident by Common Sense that the Right to TRAVEL is a BASIC CONCOMMITANT of a FREE Society to come and go from length and breath FREELY UNENCUMBERED and UNFETTERED distinguishes the characteristic required for a FREE PEOPLE TO EXIST IN FACT. Please See SHAPIRO vs. THOMSON, 394 U.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Someone's offended at that?

I'm all for a little humor and I didn't find the TSA pun all that offensive. What I do find offensive is that he's using the joke to basically tell us Tough #... You will continue to deal with your rights being violated when you fly, go to a baseball game, etc..... What's going to happen the first time a terrorist blows up a high speed rail? Anyone think they're not going to throw the TSA at the rail system? They didn't have a problem putting them in bus depots, why would they stop and not put screening stations at a rail system? It's a lie and an insult to the intelligence of the gen public. I think we all know what would actually happen. I've only seen a few mins of the speech, of those few mins, I heard nothing but lies to further their deceit of the American public. I'm so disguted with our gov. It's very sad when people can't even stand to listen to what they have to say.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by skylightsintheillions

Yeah...and damned political speechwriters. It would be interesting to know if that came from him or elsewhere. But in the end he really does have the decision, so who really cares.

It's gotta be a tough line for any leader to walk...wanting to appear likable and human and in touch with the times yet at the same time maintain a level or seriousness and dignity and respect. Sometimes a person makes a wrong decision. It happens. To me, what's far more telling about a person's character is how they deal with the consequences.

If I were him? I'd just say, "Okay I said it. It wasn't the wisest thing, sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities. I'll try not to let it happen again. Now can we drop this and move on to real issues?" If I'm not mistaken, this is how Obama typically deals with this kind of stuff. Bush's style seemed to be to just ignore? And I don't even remember what Clinton used to do (other than that one infamous case, that is).

Anyway, stuff happens.
And yeah, BH...I do agree that some people are just too thin-skinned. The ACLU is important and it's pretty much all we've got going for us anymore as far as civil liberties go, but if they keeping picking trivial battles like this one because some joke happened to be tangentially related to something we're all very concerned about, they're not doing themselves or us any favors. They really should have known better.

edit on 1/26/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I don’t understand why you’re saying this battle is trivial.

The ACLU has a position regarding TSA’s practices, have filed lawsuits speaking to their position, and now, in light of a joke by the President of the United States during the State of the Union, they make a public statement about what they thought of his comment, consistent with their position on the subject.

If there is a battle here, it goes beyond Obama’s joke, and started long ago when the ACLU initially announced their position on the TSA and their practices. Either way I don’t understand why this is trivial.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You have to blame the speech writers. Owebowma is a sockpuppet. I doubt he has ever had an original idea of his own.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join