It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proud Of Being Born One Color Or Another. Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
We are proud of the things we have accomplished, of the hardships we've over come, the way we have grown wiser with age, and even our children's macaroni necklaces.
These make sense to us as things we can share with others and feel that they would be proud of us too (in most cases).

But I have often wondered why so many take a massive amount of pride in something they had no choice in. When we are born, we don't choose our skin color, sex, nationality, etc. For some reason I have noticed a lot of folks lately that seem to be so proud of being white or black that they actually think that it makes them superior in some way over everyone else. I use black and white here due to my own personal experiences.

One would think that after decades this line of thought would have been all but extinct. However in my area it seems to be making a comeback with astonishing speed.

I walk through Wal-Mart and hear a teen talking about his pure white race. I hear the "n" word bandied about. What? Really? Pure huh? Like the driven snow. Give me a break. I couldn't help but relish the thought that this boy probably had no clue as to the people in his family tree. He was young enough that all I could see were his parents passing down ignorance to yet another generation.

I have seen it from the other side as well. Someone may consider themselves lucky enough to be born one color or another. But that is just what it is. Luck. It's not something earned or a prize won. But there are those that are ridiculously proud that on that day they came into the world one color or the other.

I wonder which of those feeling so superior would turn down a lifesaving organ from another race because it was so inferior they couldn't stand it residing in their above average body?

I am not speaking of being proud of a jewish, irish, native american heritage, etc. I am soley speaking of just being proud because of the color of your skin and assuming it makes you better than every other being. There is no "pure" race. Why in this day and age are many still placing so much emphasis on color?

I am tired of still seeing people being treated either better or worse because of color. Rise above your raising if you were taught that you were superior or someone else was less than garbage because of their skin. None of us got to pick.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe this isn't a social problem. Maybe everyone should be proud that they came out "superior". I don't think so. But help me understand why it is rational to be proud of yourself for something you had no choice in and why it is ok to view every other person as inferior?
edit on 1/24/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Well deserved S&F for you. In the words of A. Schopenhauer:

The cheapest form of pride however is national pride. For it betrays in the one thus afflicted the lack of individual qualities of which he could be proud, while he would not otherwise reach for what he shares with so many millions. He who possesses significant personal merits will rather recognise the defects of his own nation, as he has them constantly before his eyes, most clearly. But that poor beggar who has nothing in the world of which he can be proud, latches onto the last means of being proud, the nation to which he belongs to. Thus he recovers and is now in gratitude ready to defend with hands and feet all errors and follies which are its own.

At the end of the day, variety is the spice of life!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If you are trying to find a logical answer to an illogical mindset you might have a problem finding your answer.
Racism is a mental disability.

To have people talk about our differences instead of our similarities is taking the low road in my opinion and doesn't bring us any closer together but takes us farther apart as a species.

Not directed at you OP

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

You are correct. But there are some brutally honest people here and I figured with the virtual anonymity someone would answer honestly.

If nothing else, maybe it will make one person pause and consider.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cakeordeath

Nice quote!

Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The only logical observation is people want to belong. And some races seem to be ahead of others "seem" lol humanity and this drives the want to be associated with the winning team per say. Yes they dont have choice of what color they may be. But once aware of some unfairness on the planet EA individuals tend to be driven towards feeling special since they feel their race or color has dominated in the past or avoided destruction...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

If you are looking for the *brutally honest* opinions that justify being proud of their skin colour then you might be looking for the opinions of ignorant people.....you made a great point in your OP about being proud of something that they didn't accomplish or have anything to do with.
Its false identification.

join